Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantacatalpa

Catalpa Tree in Portland

wantacatalpa
14 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy a catalpa tree in the Portland area (I actually live in Hood River)? I have *got* to have one! Haven't been able to find one anywhere.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• jean001
    14 years ago

Phone the major independent garden centers in and around Portland. Ask if the have one, if they can order one, and/or when they may come in.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

It was on Portland Nursery's plant list for 2007. You will have to ask specifically for the variety you want; there is the species tree, smaller varieties, golden-leafed, etc.

Ask Rogers Nursery (wholesale) in Hubbard who would stock it retail.

Has also been on Cistus Nursery plant list.

• cascadians
    14 years ago

http://www.nurseryguide.com/search.lasso
    Nursery Guide Search

I bought mine from Loen's wholesale section when they were having an open-to-the-public sale in late 2005. It was huge, in an enormous container, one of only 2 left (no smaller ones). I was a total newbie and didn't know that big trees transplant much harder than young saplings. Live and learn. This year it is doing better, finally, huge leaves and some new growth. Good trunk flare. Expect next year will be awesome.

The flowers are long-lasting and lovely and the long beans provide winter interest.

Mine is in a winter-watery place and slurps up large amounts of supplemental water.

Mimosas, eucalypti and a fig tree along with several sequoias and coast redwoods around it, also lots of willows -- the tropical forest look is great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nursery Guide Search

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Common item in outlets up here. Most kinds grow very large in time, with coarse branching and large leaves making the tree overpowering/out of scale unless the area it is chosen for its quite spacious. Its hybrid X Chitalpa tashkentensis may be a better choice for most modern planting sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image Search Results

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

A couple of larger (8-foot ?) "Aurea" catalpas were put in around the corner of my block about 10 years ago and it took a good 3 years for them to get going.

I got to thinking, and sure enough, the Sunset Western Garden book mentions that a windy site may damage the leaves; I assume the Hood River resident took this into consideration.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

'Aurea' is beautiful but not a small tree. The biggest one I have seen - at the Riverview complex near Coquitlam, up the river from Vancouver BC - had an average crown spread of 51'.

• wantacatalpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your comments. Cascadians, the link you provided has proved helpful. I've found several growers in the Portland area that have catalpas. Unfortunately none of them will sell to me. They are all wholesale growers. One of them suggested that I go through a local landscaper to see if they could get their hands on a tree for me. I'm not too excited about paying the extra costs associated with this. I'm also a very proud DIY kinda guy so the search goes on!

A friend suggested that I could try to cultivate a tree with a brach clipping from a local tree. I have no experience with this. Is it possible?

Thanks again

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Surely a garden center there has some.

• cascadians
    14 years ago

Hood River, OR Nurseries

1. Fruit Valley Garden Ctr
    717 NW Loop Rd
    White Salmon, WA
    509-493-2894
    30 miles from center of Hood River.

2. Vanguard Nursery
    PO Box 2201
    White Salmon, WA
    509-493-1549
    31 miles from center of Hood River.

3. Good News Gardening
    1086 Tucker Rd
    Hood River, OR
    541-386-6438
    32 miles from center of Hood River.

4. Rasmussen Farms
    3020 Thomsen Rd
    Hood River, OR
    541-386-4622
    35 miles from center of Hood River.

5. Parkdale Gardens
    5056 Woodworth Rd
    Mt Hood Parkdale, OR
    541-352-7431
    37 miles from center of Hood River.

Maybe one of these can find one for you? Or special order one?

• cascadians
    14 years ago

Forest Farm has some odd ones:

http://www.forestfarm.com/products.php?params=plantName:catalpa

http://www.forestfarm.com/product.php?id=908
    Catalpa erubescens Purpurea - Purple-leaf Catalpa

Wow, very purple leaves, too cool! Would have planted this for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Farm's Catalpas

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Only the newest, uppermost leaves of 'Purpurea' are purple. I bought one on sale recently at Emery's Garden. Unfortunately, it remained bent after being liberated from my truck.