Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melani_mo

farm pond and algae

melani_mo
19 years ago

My mother has just purchased a 40 acre farm near Marshfield (MO) with 2 ponds on it. The previous owners have been ill and the land and landscaping has been 'let go' for the past 2 years or so. The landscaping is pretty extensive (pergolas with vines, shade gardens, various garden themes, unusual grasses, ferns, herbs, small waterfall, etc) so I'm excited about weeding it and trying to identify the various plants.

On to my question, however, the two farm ponds are thick with algae. The Webster County extension's website mentions 2 possible treatments; but one (copper sulfate) should be done in the spring, and the other option (barley straw) doesn't sound very promising.

Do any of you know other methods to eradicate this algae here in the Ozarks?

thank you,

mel

Comments (7)

• christie_sw_mo
    19 years ago

Sounds like the property has a lot of potential. It will be fun to explore won't it!
    I don't have any experience with pond algae but there are some articles on the MDC website or try putting in something like "algae control" on google. This one mostly helps to id pond plants.
    http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/plantpage/flora/wetplant/
    The one below talks about control.

Here is a link that might be useful: algae control in lakes and ponds

• ceresone
    19 years ago

i did see something very interesting the other afternoon, not that i think it will cure your algae, but it proves everything has a purpose. one hot afternoon this summer, i saw a very pregnant deer wading around in our pond, eating algae off top of the water, all i can figure is that it had nutrients that her body needed.as a funny afternote, our mare saw her too, and tried the same, from the way she shook her head, i dont think she liked it!

• dak001
    19 years ago

Try Barley Straw for your pond,,in the North they put it in early spring,,,Look on the web but it works great and not harmful to fish or pets

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I remember reading in an old Organic Gardening magazine about using hay (straw, same thing isn't it?!!). I'll look through my old magazines & see if I can find it & post any information it gives.

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I couldn't find the particular article I was thinking of but I did find one that you may be interested in. It was titled 'Watergardening the Natural Way' & was in the July/August 2001 issue of Organic Gardening. Here's the part you may be interested in:

KNOWING YOUR ALGAE:
    Controlling algae is a key factor in maintaining your natural pond's balance, and the first thing to remember is that all algae are not created equal. Three basic types grow in ponds - surface algae, string algae, and suspended algae. Surface algae species, which stay very short and coat underwater surfaces, are very beneficial for pond life. String, or blanket, algae, however, grow into long filaments that can suffocate plants. Suspended aglae can overtake your pond and turn it pea-soup green when the water chemistry is out of balance. The accumulation of muck or sludge at the bottom of your pond can also contribute to unwanted algae.
    In a balanced pond, sufficient oxygen and beneficial bacteria exist to convert waste as quickly as it becomes available so that toxic ammonia and nitrites do not build up. Enough plants live in the water to devour the converted nutrients. Symptoms of unbalanced water include that soupy pea-green appearance (called an algae bloom), which results from excess nutrients and sunlight. Adding submerged plants and beneficial bacteria or adding a shade source takes care of the problem,usually within a few weeks.

THE SECRET OF BARLEY:
    North American pond-keepers are discovering the traditional, all-natural European technique of controlling algae by floating small bales of barley straw in their ponds. In the presence of oxygen and sunlight, the barley slowly decomposes, releasing minute levels of hydrogen peroxide, which prevent algae-but not other plants-from growing. One 8-ounce bale will treat 500 to 1500 gallons of water and, depending on the water temperature, will be effective within 2 to 8 weeks. Anchor the bale near the water inlet or base of a waterfall, where it will receive plenty of oxygen, and replace it every 5 to 6 months. (For sources of barley-straw bales, see www.organicgardening.com/library/straw.html.)

Here's some sites you may find helpful (if I link right!):

Organic Gardening site

Robyn's Pond Page

Pond Rushes

• jeffk50
    14 years ago

Copper Sulfate will certainly kill algae, but you need to be careful. Some fish species(trout-Koi) can be killed by copper based products. Kathy is right about Barley Straw and her directions are right on. You can also prevent algae by tinting the pond. Using pond dye limits the amount of sun reaching into the pond and reduces the potential for algae growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Pond Dye for Farm Ponds

• helenh
    14 years ago

I would avoid the copper sulfate. I suppose just putting in hydrogen peroxide would be way too expensive. It breaks down to water and oxygen.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting