Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

January Daffodils in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Again!

wetsuiter
11 years ago

Last January, I posted a few photos of daffodils in full bloom in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware along side the beautiful Silver Lake, adjacent to the ocean. They are not protected, rather they are very much out in the open, just in full sun. Once I posted, everyone responded incredulously and that they surely would meet their demise with the cold weather ahead. They didn't. Instead they continued to bloom well into March, even after a few nights in the teens.

Here they are again today, blooming a full week earlier than last year. The ten day forecast is very mild so they should be fine.

{{gwi:1118206}}

Happy Early Spring from The Southern Delaware Beaches!

Comments (10)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

That's pretty incredible! I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure my daffodils arent even starting to push up yet! I know my early tulips arent pushing up yet, but who knows what will happen after a week of nice temperatures. We were only supposed to get to 41F today and we got up to 47F. Looks like some 50s in the forecast, would be nice if we approach 60F but we'll have to see. After tonight it looks like we will have a nice 9 day stretch of nights above freezing, not bad at all for the coldest time of the year! If we can get through this month without getting cold then a large chunk of winter will be over!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are incredible. Couldn't believe it last year when I saw them, so had to check on them today when I was in that neighborhood. Pretty cool. The ones in my yard have been pushing up for weeks, but don't have buds, but have seen buds on others in town here.

Supposed to be 62 here on Sunday, and after tonight's freeze, nothing in the 10 day forecast below 36. I wasn't happy wrapping my pindo with this great streak of weather, but I'm going away and don't know what is beyond the 10 day forecast!

• GAAlan
    11 years ago

Must be one of the early cultivars. Good pics too! Rijnveld Early Sensation daffs begin blooming in mid December. My RES have been blooming since December 16. My other various daffs just started showing foliage about 10 days ago. Always neat to spy that yellow color in the winter!

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Gosh, I thought mine were coming out early this year! I guess mine need more sun.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

That is pretty cool-you may have multiple springs this year!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I checked my daffodils and it looks like they are poking up early again this year! I hope that they will bloom because I cut off the leaves before they dried up themselves (which I hear can ruin flowers for next season) and the gardenia and pindo palm that it grew under got grew a lot this past summer so the daffodils are in a lot less sun. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, I might move mine in the spring though (which might be sooner than we think if this weather keeps up although I doubt it will!)
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Alex

• wilki
    11 years ago

I remember playing ice hockey on Silver Lake when I was a kid. Early to mid 1970's.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

The same Silver Lake? Its not April 1 yet.

• wilki
    11 years ago

Yup. My dad lived on Blackstone Ave. (South side of Silver Lake). Actually more like 1977-78. I remember testing out my new Bauer Hockey skates. I was maybe 15 or 16 at the time. My Grandpa lived in Henlopen acres and also had a small cottage on Jersey street in Dewey.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Here in Southern Michigan today, we hit 58 degrees, and that's about a half mile from the water, which should keep us cooler than the mainland from these bursts of warm air in the middle of January. We've hit 50 or warmer 3 times this week.

Typically, there should be frozen or freezing canals, and even Lake Erie should start freezing over in the shallower, calmer, protected parts of the lake. It seems the new winter in Michigan means mini heat waves that keep the water from freezing, which in turn moderates arctic blasts from the north because of the relatively warm water, keeping us from falling below zero on the few coldest winter nights.

Anybody that claims climate change isn't a real thing needs to wake up. The evidence is all around us, at least in the eastern portion of the country. Although I worry about the polar bears, no complaints about milder winters here. Growing Needle palms and hardier varieties of Trachycarpus unprotected is a definite possibility, as we haven't dipped below zero degrees in several years.