Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Okay, what do we think?

trishmick
10 years ago

I am encouraged by the fact that there is some green still in the petioles, and even a few fronds. Likewise, everything is upright with no spear pull (at least the last time I checked). Trust me, it was all I could do to even examine this guy. Heartbreaking to watch something grow from a 3 gallon pup to a tree this size, and laugh at Old Man Winter all the while, then, get hit as hard as it has this year. So, am I looking at lumber for my tiki bar, or, is my man gonna make a comeback?

Comments (8)

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

As long as there is no spear pull there's still hope. One of my windmill's even had spear pull and it came back somehow. It looked pretty gnarly for a few years, but it's doing great now. temps here reached a low of 6 degrees and none of my 9 windmills showed any damage at all. Different story for my Livingstonia and Washingtonia. Won't know until spring if they'll pull through or not. I did notice that the fronds on your tree look pretty wimpy, is it getting full sun? If not, that will affect cold tolerance. Cold hardy palms need full sun during the summer in order to store up enough energy to make it through the starving time in the winter. I think your palm is going to make it and be just fine but I also think it should be more robust at it's present height. It may be missing something; light, warm soil, or fertilizer during the summer. The palm on the right had spear pull, you can see the size difference. Both palms were planted at the same time and were the same size.

• californiamike
    10 years ago

OMG, I don't know what to say...it doesnt look too good. This winter has been very harsh. I see a lot of the palms in my area, Staten Island, in the same condition. I am glad I covered mine up, even the 8 footer, and all are doing okay. Just wish it would get warm.

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

I'm sure it will make it. I think I see some green at the base of the newest spear. You'll have to do a lot of trimming this spring, and might be a slow recovery, but I'm sure it will survive.

• trishmick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. There is some green at the base of that frond, but hidden behind it is the newest emerging one. What I see of it is brown. What encourages me, however, is that I don't recall seeing that new frond when this damage first appeared. As well, I gave it a good tug this morning, and it did not budge. Feels very strong in fact. Thinking that maybe this Spring my Windmill will have the look of a hurricane cut Sabal. We'll see. Fingers crossed...

• LagoMar
    10 years ago

Wow, that really is something having grown up from a pup and then suddenly to be hit so hard... no transplant or anything, right? Well, the most important thing now is patience. Hopefully it will recover. I've never had patience with plants, so I can't really say what will happen with yours.

• trishmick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When planted in that spot back in '01, there was virtually no trunk. Now, it has almost 9 feet worth. It has gone unprotected for years now, and I thought it was bulletproof in what is a normal climate for us, here at the coast. Like most areas, however, this Winter has been far from normal. Well below avg. temps, with several severe, prolonged Arctic blasts, and above avg. precip. He's hurtin' for sure...

• Plant1truth_teller
    10 years ago

Beachbums, I jest don't know about all cold hardy palms needn full sun all the time. I think that is not correct. Even palmeto likes or takes a little light shade at times. That's just not what I see travelin the Carolinas.

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

The more sun, the better. It makes for more stored energy to make it through a tough winter. The Carolina's are a different world than NJ.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths