Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prisci1210

how to take care of cat palm

prisci1210
16 years ago

i just bought a pot of cat palm from ikea and i put it in my office. on the first two days, it looks green and healthy. but then, the tips of leaves start to turn brown. am i watering too much or too little? i checked the internet but still confused about watering. some said it requires lots of water and but said no. looks like my first plant is dying. can anyone help?

Comments (7)

• User
    16 years ago

Cat palms really do like a lot of water and when you water make sure you saturate the soil thoroughly (sometimes water will just run through some mixes without really wetting the medium). Watering once or twice a week at this time of year should be sufficient if it is adequately potted. Palms do prefer pots that fit snug but they also like deeper containers. If you find that the soil dries excessively fast, it may be a sign that it wants a somewhat bigger (deeper) container. If it's only the tips browning, I wouldn't worry about it. It might not look great, but this time of year, humidity tends to be low in northern homes. Good luck!

• andyandy
    16 years ago

When indoors in a cooler climate I find under watering is best. Don't completely deprive them of water but just damp the soil a little. In the spring re-pot in a pot about 50% bigger and give filtered sun. Thye really do grow quite quickly in the summer.

• randers3
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if this type of plant would do well with a hydroculture system?

• melissa_judkins51
    6 years ago

Ok well I am buying a cat palm so wish me luck.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ignore the advice on letting it dry between waterings! A couple of palms are exceptions to the general rule on watering palms, this is one of them. Try to maintain some water in its saucer for constant moisture. They are actually ‘rheophytes’ and grow IN streams in their native environment.

• palmbob
    6 years ago

I agree... this species seems to do great in sloggy soils and constantly wet pots as well as more typically maintained 'somewhat damp' ones.... though they also tolerate drying out to some degree (as do many Chamaedoreas). The darker it is indoors, though, the more they seem to become susceptible to rot, so keep it bright (just no direct sun as already mentioned). Low humidity is tough on many house palms... hard to do much a bout unless you commonly go about the house spraying your palm foliage (preferably with deionized water). As long as one avoids toxic build up of salts they should do OK. Brown tipping can be an adjustment to your 'non-greenhouse' conditions, a sign of salt build up, super high mineral content in the tap water, excessive drying out or low humidity (a good thorough watering monthly to 'rinse out' the salt build up helps.. .or better yet, put your plant outdoors when it rains (rainwater is magical when it comes to cleaning out soils in potted plants)).