Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

any opinions/experience with nypalms.com?

bill_ri_z6b
11 years ago

I saw a web page for a company called NYPALMS.COM located on Long Island. They claim to have been growing what appear to be Windmill palms for 45 years. That they are not only surviving, but thriving and they collect seeds from these northerly trees. Has anyone heard of or dealt with them? I don't know if the photos they have were actually even taken on Long Island. The web page has minimal information.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (7)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

There are a lot of sources for windmill palms. Bareroot through the mail or UPS from this source means its going to be really small. I didn't see prices on the web page, but I'm sure you can do just as well from many other sources.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Denninmi, I sent them an E-mail regarding size and prices. I know there are lots of other sources online, but the reason I was wondering about this particular source was that they claim their seed tree has been thriving for 45 years on Long Island. Now that's a long time before any milder winters existed, so maybe theirs is a hardier individual tree. You never know. Sort of like when the Sabal "McCurtain County" was discovered.....hardier than other provenances of the same species. I'll post if/when they reply.

• cfa_li
    11 years ago

I'm itching to know where this is. On top of being super duper rare here, I've never seen a trachy taller than me in my area.

The claim of 45 years sounds a little like a stretch though.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what I thought. So far they haven't answered my E-mail.

• HardyPalmFreak
    11 years ago

It almost seems to good to be true.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Well, I don't actually think it's fair of me to imply that this place would be less than honest. I don't have any experience or knowledge, just that the site made my cynicism gene activate. I just know there have been a number of internet pop ups, like one called "fast growing trees" dot something that have gotten bad reviews time and again on garden watch dog. I hope they do prove to be a good source for you.

There was a nursery profiled in 'Horticulture' and 'Martha Stewart Living' back about a decade ago, way out on the eastern tip of Long Island, probably in East Hampton or further, that was dabbling in this stuff for many years. Perhaps it's these guys or has some business relationship to them. I wish I could remember the name, but so far haven't been able to come up with it.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They still haven't answered my E-mail, which I find strange since the website says they're a small operation. I don't think they're overwhelmed with E-mail to answer. I also think that if there were forty-five-year-old palm trees on Long Island someone would have discovered them by now.

It was worth a shot!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living