Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojobar_gw

japanese maple mystery need help

jojobar
10 years ago

I recently purchased this coral bark JM. Before purchase, it looked perfect, and I didn't notice that a central leader was cut off. I called the seller about the amputated leader, and he said no worries, it will still reach full growth potential.

Now, I've noticed a white, crescent-shaped fringed growth coming from leader that was cut, and I see caterpillar-like bugs around it. Also, some of the leaves are turning, which you might be able to see in the photo of the entire tree. I haven't planted it in the ground yet. Is this a fatal problem? Should I get my money back and get another?

This is really upsetting me, and your help will be most appreciated!

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

First, Japanese maples don't have leaders. Like all other maples they exhibit a decurrent growth habit, often generating or developing structural branching very low to the ground. Why the central growth point was removed would be more of a concern to me than the fact it is lacking. Coral barks are heavily prone to some bacterial diebacks that can cause longterm problems or even premature death.

I can't clearly see what you are describing as 'cresent shaped growth' on the cut portion, however it does look as if additional removal of this section should be done. A blunt cut stub left intact like that is just an invitation for future disease and pest problems. The stub should be carefully removed at an angle just above where any smaller growth emerges.

Insects can be easily removed and I see nothing to cause concern with the foliage. If the tree is under warranty still, the decision to return for a replacement is yours. Otherwise, take care of the remedial pruning and keep an eye on it. The bacterial issues are typically most evident in early spring when it leafs out and are signaled by black stems and leaf die-off.

• jojobar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, gardengal48. I included a close-up of the growth. I am heading out right now to cut the stub as you advised. Also, when I took the photo just now, I noticed a black branch--so I'll take that off too. I'm glad to know that japanese maples don't have a leader. Your response was very informative and thoughtful.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I'm not sure I can be any more helpful on what that might be :-) It's a bit fuzzy but it almost looks like the beginning of a hive-like structure. Can you scrape it off easily? What's the consistency like? FWIW, removal is always a good option!

Again, just keep an eye on things. You may not see anything else to cause you concern after removing that stub.....It's a good thing :-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would have returned it before i started cutting on it ...

ken

• jean001a
    10 years ago

I suspect the top was removed due to disease: bacterial blight. As was previously mentioned, coral barks are very susceptible to it.

If that were mine, I'd call to determine if they'll take it back & refund my $$. (Hope you still have your receipt.)