Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomnewengland

Ants boring through Japanese Plum Tree

tomnewengland
9 years ago

I have a 20 year old Japanese plum tree. In the last few years I have noticed more and more branches dying (which I have been removing). This year about half the tree was dead. I just cut off a significant amount and noticed that all the thicker branches had large black ants boring through the center. The ants were pouring out as I removed the limbs.
The ants made a single, perfectly round tunnel through each branch. The bark on the main trunk and many of the affected branches is cracked and brittle as well.
How do I keep the ants from continuing to spread through the rest of the tree. The branches that are alive do not appear to have any disease or other pests. I fear the ant network will continue to spread and kill the remainder of the tree.
Any ideas on how I can treat this problem?
I appreciate any help!

Comments (6)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I can't help but wonder if the ants aren't just taking advantage fo the dead wood? I don't know though.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Precisely.

Plums are subject to a number of diseases around here.
    I don't know the situation in your region; perhaps someone will enlighten us.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The ants are a symptom of a problem, not the problem. You need to find out why they are in that tree which may be the result of a disease or simply because rot got started for any number of reasons such as bad pruning.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Tom, I know that it is alarming to see those ants swarm from your tree, but everyone is right: the ants are the messengers and you know what is said about those guys, lol.

Carpenter ants can't and don't chomp through live wood. They will, however, take advantage of internal decay, such as heart rot of trees. This systemic fungal disorder (quite common) is introduced into a woody plant a variety of ways....improper pruning, storm damage, insect or animal damage.

Carpenter ants are only considered a pest when they enter and set up housekeeping in our structures. In their native environment they perform an important service, nesting in rotting trees, stumps, fallen trees, old fence posts, etc. They don't feed on the dead wood, by the way. They just follow the diseased channels, hollowing them out to make room for the colony.

Your tree sounds like it has been diseased for some time. There is nothing that can be done for internal heart rot, by the way. It's possible for an otherwise healthy tree to live for many years....generations in some species.....but yours sounds like it is in serious decline. You can't 'fix' it.

There is NO chemical treatment for the fungus. Maintain a good layer of mulch over a wide swath of soil around your tree, water during periods of drought. You might want to send pictures of the whole tree so that I can see the extent of decline.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

all ornamental plums are what the tree peeps call SHORT LIVED TREES ... [and so are most fruit trees] ...

in my experience ... 10 to 15 years at max ...

you are at 20 ...

get rid of it .... its not worth the effort ...

cut it to the ground.. and apply stump killer or round up.. to the cambian layer ...

if you insist on another.. just dig a hole a few feet away from the stump ...

ken

• tomnewengland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the quick advice. It makes sense the ants are just taking advantage of the dead wood and "doing their job." I guess I will start planning on a replacement tree.