Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oc_dave

SCPS plant sale Sept 9th & 10th

oc_dave
17 years ago

I see that the Southern California Plumeria Society is having their annual Plumeria plant sale on Sept 9th & 10th in San Diego. Does anyone have experience with one of the SCPS sales? Is there a bunch of plantsfor sale? (the website says they had 1500 plants last year, but also refers to event as a plant "show/sale") Is it a swap meet type setting where indiviuals are selling their own goods or is it the SCPS presiding over all sales? Is the pricing competitive? It sure sounds like a fun little trip down to SD. It would be about 200 mile round trip drive for me and if I decide I want to attend I need to start working on the wife now to get permission in time to go and spend some loot...

any reply is welcome

Dave

Comments (7)

• oc_dave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sorry here is the link to their website

Here is a link that might be useful: SCPS

• qatpaw
    17 years ago

Hi Dave,
    I haven't been to the SCPS plant sale, but in April they had their cutting sale which I did go to. I bought 9 cuttings, gave 2 away, rooted the rest and all but one are doing fine. They were very helpful with advice for a first time buyer. You should definately try to make the trip. Plumerias and a day at Balboa Park...what could be better!!
    Vivian

• Kimo
    17 years ago

Dave,

I have been to many of the SCPS sales along with the ones in Houston. SCPS Sept sale is for rooted plants only. You will find a great selection of rooted plumies alot blooming. The thing you will find at the SCPS sale is alot of the CALIF seed grown varities from Ken Ames and the Hertzogs like Cobra, Joy, San Diego Sunset, etc. Ken Ames often sales a big rooted ACW and or SCP for great prices.

The SCPS sale is located in beautiful San Diego, in Balboa park. You should make a day of it, I always do. There is a 4/5 star resturant located in the park which is a must eat at place, beautiful building, location, delicious food, called the Prado resturant. The combination of things makes the SCPS a must attend event even if you do not buy anything the visual experience, including the park makes this an invaluable experience.

Hope this info helps!!!

Ciao

• mikeod
    17 years ago

Dave,
    The SCPS sale is a great opportunity to get some impressive rooted plumeria at reasonable prices. Last year I got a two-tip ACW from Ken Ames for only $80. One tip bloomed this spring and the other has a large inflo now. The plant was easily 3 feet above the soil line. I have seen ACW cuttings smaller than that go for more on eBay. There is a great variety, but go early for the best selection. Last year they raffled off several 15 gal or larger specimen plumeria.
    Mike

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Reading these posts really makes me wish that I was in So. Ca., especially because I'm dying for an ACW. I'm jealous, have a fun day at the park.
    Karyn

• frannieo
    17 years ago

What plumeria is ACW?

• mikeod
    17 years ago

Ammaron's Curly White Here's a link to a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria Society of America

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!