Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaiaso

propagating jasmine

gaiaso
16 years ago

July, 2007 I took some Jasmine cuttings from Berkeley, California, those sweet-smelling lovely light pink evergreen ones that were the essence of California for me. I brought them back to Virginia, where I now reside. They have rooted, I checked, but there has been NO NEW GROWTH!!! It's February 11, 2008 now. Almost all of the original leaves are still there. Not a single nub of anything that looks like it could turn into new growth.

What can I do? Suggestions, please. Thank you, Gaia so

Comments (5)

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

a LIGHT application of fertilizer & longer day light hours will kick start the growth cycle. do not give up it will happen.

• susanna_2008
    16 years ago

where exactling do i take the cuttings? should they include a little of the harder, woodlike stems, or do i cut higher where the stems are green and soft? any tips would be appreciated. thank you.

• gaiaso
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I have a pair of nubs happening now on the upper part of one of my cuttings. It is the one that was the woodiest of all. The nubs occurred just above a node. Duh!

The softer tips root also, but I haven't seen any new growth in those yet. From my meager experience, I would say go for the woodier cuttings. And make sure you get some of the "leaf joints" which I think are called nodes.

Incidentally, I did use a rooting stimulator made of indole 3-butyric acid. I am pretty inexperienced in plant piracy. There might be something better, but it worked.

Good luck! What kind of jasmine are you starting?

• kat58
    16 years ago

I would give it some time, some plants take at least a year to fully propagate. Last year I purchased two different types of Jasmine, one is the skinnier vine with smaller leaves. That one had grown like crazy with tons of flowers but the other one has only grown a little bit with no flowers yet. Hopefully by next year it will take off.

• gaiaso
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A week or so ago I noticed a new shoot at the joint (on the one that has joints). It's still tiny point of less than a half inch but it looks like a very complex lace of eentsy, eentsy little green leaves.

It's been raining and darkish. Can't wait to see what some sun will do. The other 2 cuttings, which were basically vine tips, are still green and healthy looking, but no sign of anything more there.

Any recommendations on fertilizers? Sometimes I use the blue stuff, sometimes fish emulsion. The plants are outside in the elements now, since nights are in the 50s

I sure do appreciate the encouragement. I'm just really beginning to experiment with woody rooting-type propagation. My first project was brown turkey figs, and I have 4 little trees still in pots... out of maybe 17.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor