Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarkinks

Grafting methods

clarkinks
10 years ago

It's getting to be that time of year again and many of us are acquiring scion wood, checking rootstocks etc.. This year I am going to change my grafting methods slightly and wanted to get your opinions. My older trees I use rind grafts on and have close to 100% success. My whip grafting techniques are good but have a lot of room for improvement. I had one grafted tree break off I whip grafted after a couple of years. This year I will be trying saddle, cleft, and side grafts to improve my techniques. What are your favorite techniques and why do you use them and when? This is also my first year to try an actual tool instead of a grafting knife. I did some test saddle grafts with it and they literally fit like a key in a lock. Here are my current thoughts apple and pear I'm sticking with rind grafting because it works flawlessly and the rootstocks are big. Do you have a better method? Cherry and apricot I will perhaps use a side, saddle, or cleft graft but what are your favorite techniques on stone fruit and why? I have lots of experience grafting apples and pears but not cherries and few other stone fruits. I'm not a novice to grafting though I'm more the type that keeps on doing my old tricks good or bad because they are what I'm used to. I realize if I used a saddle graft instead of a whip graft that tree would likely not have broke off at the graft. Experience is a great teacher.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting