Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Grape Propogation a Success!

bookjunky4life
14 years ago

Last fall I researched how to take grape cuttings like in December. I then put two nodes down in the soil and left one above the soil. I planted them in a kitty litter jug so I could keep a closer eye. Now I have a bud coming on two of them for sure and possibly a third. There are about eight altogether. I hope a few more make it but I'd be happy with what I have. Especially since I moved a month ago and had to leave the grape vines.

Comments (9)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

The swelling &/or bud opening is not PROOF that roots have formed..... Give a light tug on the stem if resistance the roots have formed..... its not to late for roots to form on the other cuttings do not give up....

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    14 years ago

I hope they all live for you! I think it takes quite a while for roots to form. This is my first year for cuttings also. I read that they do need warmth to leaf out. I have planted about 180 dormant cuttings in two different ways. One half like yours, with only a couple buds showing above the soil in a 3/1 perlite/peat mix. I keep them moist, and try to keep them warm. The rest of them are outside in the vineyard laying in a 1.5" trench, covered with loose soil. Our weather is warming up, so I'll be very happy if even 25% of my cuttings take.

I plan to leave the ones in their pots that live for at least 2 or 3 months before replanting them so I'm sure they have roots. Those in the vineyard will stay in the vineyard until they go dormant again. Then, I'll dig them up and put them where I want them. I had 17 varietals, and it was tough labeling all of them, especially the ones lying flat in the vineyard!!

Let us know how things go!
    Suzi

14 years ago

4 days ago one cutting sprouted two leaves. There are now 14 that have sprouted actual leaves, and many others have swollen buds and I can tell they also will sprout. I have no way of seeing if they have roots because they are hidden in their zipset planting bands. Time will tell.

14 years ago

This morning, 19 have sprouted, and the first ones are going for two leaves, and even shoots!! Again, many are showing signs of bud break!

14 years ago

Update. It is now April 15th, and 43 out of 95 grapevine cuttings have actual leaves. Some have a shoot with several leaves. I have no way of knowing if roots are present because I can't see through those milk cartons, and I don't dare lift them out for viewing because they have no bottoms, and all the peat/perlite will fall out!!

If I did this again, I would think about using my trays as holders, and I'd cut fine plastic window screening into 2" tubes, fill them with perlite and peat, line the tray with the same screening, and put the cuttings in that. At least you could see any roots that hit the screen!! And the screen would air prune them, so the mass of roots to feed the vines would be huge. With no bottom, it would be simple to lift the screen out of the vine's new home, and those screen tubes could be reused.
    Suzi

14 years ago

New update. There are flower clusters that look like miniature grape clusters on several of my cuttings. Also, the tips of many of the leaves are turning brown! YIKES!! I immediately searched the web and found that the condition is a sign of stress. Not enough water getting to the leaves probably in this case due to lack of roots, or small roots. I bit the bullet, pulled one of the cuttings out, and there are 6 teeny 1/8" roots. I then pinched back most of the leaves on all of them to help the plant use energy to grow roots. It was painful to do that, but I want my cuttings to live!! I'm used to removing flower clusters because these are wine grapes, and the vines need 4-5 years grow time with no fruit to produce good fruit.

13 years ago

Here is a photo 35 days into the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1169960}}

13 years ago

And here they are today!

{{gwi:27753}}

3 gallon pots ordered for transplanting into the vineyard and put on the drip system out there. They are developing at different rates, and some have just broken bud after 2 months! The lesson here is DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR CUTTINGS!
    Suzi

• cuttingcollector
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your success, They look really good.