Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

What did ya get for Christmas?

stevation
16 years ago

Did you get anything garden related for Christmas? I got a couple of cool things, but they're really more kitchen related, but hey my interest in the kitchen all got started by my garden, so it's on topic, right?

I got one of those cool apple corer/peeler/slicer machines. I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to get some (gasp!) store-bought apples to try it anytime soon. Looking forward to an easier time making pies!

I also got a larger food processor (I think it's a 10-cup machine). That'll make it easier to make pie crusts, too!

I guess it's all about pie for me! :-D

Maybe I can find some garden podcasts to play on my new iPod, too!

Comments (28)

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

My MIL gave me the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and The Well Tended Perennial Garden by Tracy DiSabato-Aust. Since my goal this year is to learn to can, I am excited about that first book. There was also a moisture meter in my stocking, though I will probably use that for my house plants.

The other "almost garden related" item is the table saw I bought my DH. His first project is going to be a pergolla over the patio, which I will use to grow some grape vines. It's all in how you look at it, right?

Wishing everyone a bountiful New Year!
    Bonnie

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

Bonnie, I got the Ball book too, and the Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving. My parents gave me the AeroGarden with the herb kit so we're giving that a try. Hopefully it will work since I can't have regular plants inside because of furbabies and I really miss having basil available. Also got a pressure cooker and a gift card for Borders so had to get a cookbook for that.

Stevation, try the foolproof pie dough recipe over on the Cooking Forum, it's simple and tasty. My 13-year-old loves making pumpkin pies from scratch using that crust and pumpkin puree we froze.

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

I scored big on the gardening gifts this year! I suppose that's because my obsession has been so overwhelming and obvious that Steve knew he couldn't go wrong.

He bought me Armitrage's Garden Perennials AND Annuals books! Great encyclopedia type books. I'm really enjoying going through these.

Then, because I'm always so excited when a new issue of Garden Gate magazine arrives in the mail, and I always rave about what a great magazine it is, he got me two volumes with back issues (years 1 & 8 I think).

And sort of plant related, I also received a jigsaw puzzle that is a collage of about 100 wildflowers. That's going to take me forever, and probably make me cross-eyed!

Ahh... deep sigh. I wish it were still Christmas and I could sit in front of the fire all day looking at my books.

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

I a Chia Pet. I think its Elvis, but it might be Stalin.

• nrynes
    16 years ago

Yep - $100 gift certificate to High Country Gardens, a trip to Santa Fe to spend it, and a $100 gift certificate to David Austin Roses (all from my generous hubby!). This is to start outfitting our new garden/house in Florence, CO which is the best present of all! We close on the new house next week, and it's close to 2 zones warmer than up here on the Palmer Divide :) The roses will certainly enjoy the warmer climate!

Nancy

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Congrats on the new house, Nancy! That's exciting, especially the better gardening zone.

David, you seriously make me laugh out loud! I love it.

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

I got a Food Saver machine for preserving all of the freezer produce!

My mom & stepdad gave us some money and we decided we're going to put it toward a chicken coop.

Nancy, I stopped at HCG a few years ago, the gardens are beautiful and I just planted their 'Colors & Textures' preplanned garden in the front yard this past fall.

I really want those canning books! I keep checking them out from the library over & over! I made three batches of the yummiest jelly to give this year 'Cranberry Jalapeno' (I got the recipe off the Harvest Forum which I modified a little-no onions & more jalapenos) and used jalapenos that I froze whole from the garden. Canning's so fun!

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

Stevation - reading this thread this morning has had me singing one of my favorite songs by my very favorite artist Patty Griffin "Making Pies" all day.

The song is much deeper than just making pies (in fact it's a sad & lonely song) but IMO if anyone could write such a beautiful song about making pies, she could :)

Thought I'd share :)

Charlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon.com Patty Griffin's

• digit
    16 years ago

Oh, good! Another RMGardener with chickens!

I'll "restock the bird house" along about the 1st of July. This is the 1st Winter in many years I haven't shoveled out a path over there. Kinda lonely not having a bird to keep company.

digitS'

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

I got 2 Patty Griffin CD's for Christmas. 1000 kisses and Children Running Through. Santa got some high 5's.

• gjmancini
    16 years ago

I got potting soil and grow lights. Very romantic.

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Charlene,

Thanks for sharing the song! The preview on Amazon sounds very nice. I think I'll buy it. She has a wonderful voice, although some of her other tunes sounded too country for me. Of all her CDs, which would you recommend the most? Something folksy but not too countryish?

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

stevation, I'll jump in here a bit, I'm a fan, and would suggest "1000 kisses" as one of her better CD's, linked utube song is the lead tune.

I also like "children running through" and Impossible dream." She has a couple of other ones out there, which are a bit iffy, IMHO - one or two great songs, but the rest, 'eeeeh'.

I drive my 10 yr old daughter and 15 yr old son all over the place, often without radio reception, and we can agree to listen to these three. CD's are way better than MP3's. We'd lost them in an accident over Thanksgiving, thus the ones Santa brought were replacements.

I hope Charlene will share her thoughts as well -

Here is a link that might be useful: song 'rain'

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

Hi Stevation - I'm with David... "1000 Kisses" is one of my all time favorite CD's and I NEVER get sick of hearing it.

I wouldn't call Patty Griffin all out country- some songs do have a folk alt. country feel. "Impossible Dream" maybe a little more folky for your taste? You can listen to clips of the whole albums on Amazon and ITunes.

I've heard "Children Running Through" but just ordered it online and haven't received it yet.

I saw her perform live in Los Angeles a few years back and it was magical. She has that "something" special in her songwriting and honesty in how she sings. As a singer/songwriter myself, she makes me want to quit :)

David- have you heard Lori McKenna? I've liked her for years but she's gettin' a lot of notoriety as Faith Hill covered a few of her songs. I got "Unglamorous" her new album for Christmas and I'm enjoying it, but "Bittertown" is my favorite, up there with one of my favorite albums.

Now that music has hi-jacked the thread!! Admittedly, I don't feel too guilty cause it doesn't get better than gardening and music!

GJMANCINI-- Have fun with your growing lights. I would love to get growing lights!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lori Mckenna

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

Ok, on your recommendation and after watching a couple of utube clips, I ordered Bittertown.

I'll give it to my daughter as a present :-)

• ianb_co
    16 years ago

First post on this forum - well, my wife, two sons and I got a HOUSE for Christmas - our first, and my first chance to seriously garden after a couple of decades of apartment living and rentals. (Roses on an NYC terrace and portulaca and rosemary in planters don't quite cut it any more). So please bear with me as I ask lots of questions and seek opinions. I promise to use the 'search' function first!

Ian

• digit
    16 years ago

Ian, congratulations! And, I hope you do ask questions . . .

Welcome to the Intermountain West & RMG!

digitalSteve

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

Well, I got cash...what could be better...I've been on the Lily Auction ever since :)

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

David- I hope you enjoy! My favorite song on that McKenna album is "Stealing Kisses". I do a cover of that tune with hubby on mandolin.

Ian- A house, Congrats!! Having your very own backyard will be so exciting (esp. when previously gardening on a terrace).

Steve(Digit)- I thought I'd start a new thread soon about chickens in the garden, coops, etc..

Berry- cash is ALWAYS nice.

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Charlene, I certainly hope Patty Griffin doesn't make you REALLY want to quit singing! And thanks for the link David -- Rain is a wonderful song! I think I'll buy that album. She sounds like I could become a big fan, too. I've always had a soft spot for somewhat sad songs. My wife says it's because I'm always so happy I need a little depressing music to even me out! Anybody ever listen to Morrissey? That's my kind of music!

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

LOL stevation - didn't expect to go from Patty Griffin to Morrissey. Any particular favorites? I think we have every CD from both Morrissey and the Smiths. I haven't heard much of Patty Griffin, but did really like the songs the Dixie Chicks covered on their Top of the World album.

• ianb_co
    16 years ago

Patty Griffin usually swings through Colorado every year or so, hitting places like the Boulder Theater. She puts on a good show, definitely worth seeing! And she grew up in an even smaller town than I did in Maine... As for Morrissey, I've not really listened to his post-Smiths stuff. What have I missed?

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

The concensus here is that Morrissey's Viva Hate (his first solo release) is phenomenal, and that lyrically his solo albums (about 14 I think) are much more advanced than the Smiths. Now I have "there is a light" and "first of the gang" in my head. I guess that means I'll be listening to him this weekend.

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

Charlene, I got the Lori McKenna "Bittertown" CD yesterday, and have it in the car now - awesome. Thanks for the suggestion, and should any others pop into your head.....

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Morrissey experience is with older songs. I think his best are: Late Night Maudlin Street, Every Day is Like Sunday, Suedehead, Trouble Loves Me, Will Never Marry, and his remake of Moon River.

Of course, there are lots of songs from his days with the Smiths, but my favorites are: There is a Light That Never Goes Out; Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me; Half a Person; This Night Has Opened My Eyes; and Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want. Those last three I learned on guitar a long time ago and I still enjoy singing them. My kids, of course, think that's a little weird!

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

Stevation, if you like those Morrissey songs you might like Peter Murphy (lead singer of Bauhaus) or Julian Cope. My personal fave songs are
    Peter Murphy-
    Marlene Dietrich's Favorite Poem (I saw him do this live and just cried)
    Indigo Eyes
    Scarlet Thing in You
    Piece of You
    Idle Flow
    Deep Ocean Vast Sea
    Cuts You Up
    A Strange Kind of Love
    Keep Me From Harm
    The Sweetest Drop

Julian Cope
    Greatness & Perfection of Love
    World Shut Your Mouth
    5'o'clock World
    China Doll
    East Easy Rider

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

I'm glad you like the CD, David. I played her for a friend today that is hooked now too :) My biggest influence ever is Shawn Colvin; I own every CD, DVD, & have seen her live many many times. Not many can pull off "the girl on stage by herself with a guitar" better than her.

Can't add much to the Morrisey discussion. I remember him from The Smith's but just by coincidence I recently watched a live performance of him on Comcast's On Demand and he is fascinating.

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

We've been listening this winter as well to old Kate Wolf songs -

'He had the eyes of a painter - heart of a maker of songs...'

Here is a link that might be useful: All the good ones