Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rx7grl17_gw

slow to bloom

rx7grl17
17 years ago

I have some miniature roses that I resuced off a clearance rack at Lowes. They had roses on them when I purchased them, now I have planted them and I see buds but they are taking a long time to bloom. One of them finally partially opened but it's been that way for about 3 days without any appearance of further blooming. Is this normal? I'm kind of a newbie to gardening and roses. I'm in zone 8b, they are planted in full sun, I've been watering them regularly. They have been growing because I have seen new leaves it's just the buds/blooms that are not opening. I'm not sure what type they are, originally the roses on them were pink when I bought them they were pink but the buds look red.

Comments (5)

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Could be the particular rose you have. I have one that I waited well over a week while it's bud looked bursting to open and then it slowly it did. Alot of times the bud color is different than the color they will change to when the bloom opens and then the color can change again as the bloom ages. Then again, I'll let someone in your zone answer. But, I thought I'd put my two cents in:) Wellcome to growing roses and all it's questions and lovely rewards in seeing the beautiful flowers. Leslie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Some roses take a long time from bud to full bloom. Some open very fast. It also depends on the temperature, in the dead of summer, those blooms can open so fast you can miss them! In cooler weather, then it takes longer. Also, those plants had been grown in a greenhouse, and they are settling in to their new home. So, just be patient, and congratulations, it sounds like they are doing fine.

Some roses have darker buds than then petal color when opened. Also, some roses have different bloom colors when they are grown in a garden vs. in a greenhouse.

• rx7grl17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Leslie and Diane.. i'll keep an eye on them. I can't wait until I can take a picture to have someone help me identify them!

• julie22
    17 years ago

Your roses could be slow to bloom because of the temps. Even though you are a little warmer than I, you still get cold enough to slow most roses down to a near stop in the winter. I find that my roses will slow down with blooming once the night temps dip to 45 degrees or lower until the deep frosts (more than one) stops them all together. Don't fret. They will bloom, but take longer. Your rose buds could be red with a pink flower when it finally opens, but don't be surprised if even the flower color seems a little off. After all, it is winter and the weather does strange things to roses. While the ground doesn't freeze, the roots will still continue to grow and next spring will show you lovely bushes.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

The fact that you planted them , sends a plant into shock. I assume you seperated the roots to spread them out. That will shock a plant. It's only tempory. When you plant a new plant you should pick any flowers or buds off anyway. You need to grow some roots first.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations