Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kek19

Old Climbing rose

kek19
16 years ago

This rose is about 50 yrs old, it's been hacked down and dug up, but it keeps coming back. It has lots of underground "runners" to keep it coming back. Up till about 10yrs ago, it had a fence to climb. Now it just grows up so far and falls over itself. The blooms are in small clusters. I think it would be considered a mini, the blooms are about 2" in diameter. The root is like a large horizontal "main cane" (please forgive me, I don't know the technical terms) Then canes shoot or branches shoot up from that. It does bloom from new growth. I cut mine down to nothing early this spring, and it has buds on it (just haven't bloomed yet) So I don't confuse you, I took part of it, the pics are the mother plant. I dont know what other info you might need, so here's the pics

{{gwi:1223540}}

{{gwi:1223542}}

{{gwi:1223544}}

{{gwi:1223545}}

{{gwi:1223546}}

Comments (18)

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Is the color true?

It looks like a multiflora rambler. Please pick a leaf and look at the flanges at the base of the leaf stem. Are they fringed?

• kek19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The color is pretty true, don't think it could get any closer in a pic. I don't quite understand what your asking about the base of the leaf stem. Are you talking about an individual leaf? If so I dont see anything that may be considered fringed. But if you are talking about a whole leaf stem, has like 7 leaves on it, the leaf node that connects to the cane has some kind of fringe stuff. Maybe I should scan in a leaf section? I'll do some googling on what you are talking about and the multiflora rambler.

• kek19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, the only pics of multiflora rambler I found were white single petals. But the information I read also said that all ramblers can be traced back to it.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

It could be "The Engineer's Rose" aka "Crimson Rambler," which is an old-fashioned hybrid multiflora.

I'll put a link to the HelpMeFind listing -- the photos tab has a couple of pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Crimson Rambler

• kek19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well that does look a lot like it. But the description says its red. If it is the same rose, to help compare colors better, my pics are much true to color than theirs. It is most definantly a bright deep (almost hot) pink. But we're definantly on the right track! Thanks!

• michaelg
    16 years ago

kek,
    Yes, what you said, this part of the rose is called the stipule. Fringed stipules indicate multiflora parentage.

The color does not seem right for Crimson Rambler. It is normally a cherry red with some white at the base of the petals, not directly visible. Crimson Rambler is a common "ditch rose" all over the East, really a survivor.

An unusual feature of your rose (if I am seeing right) is that the buds look white, but the flower opens magenta. Most roses have buds that are the same color, or very often darker than the open flower. Many white roses have pink buds or buds splashed with red.

Are there white petals on the back of the open flower? I think I see that in pic #2. Someone should be able to get this unless it is a rare one.

• michaelg
    16 years ago

kek,

This poster is a rambler expert. You might email asking him to look at your thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: neroseman

• gael.christie
    16 years ago

hi

looks an awful lot like super dorothy to me.

christie

• petaloid
    16 years ago

Gael.christie -- I had thought of Dorothy Perkins, but it's lighter in color than those photos look and so is Super Dorothy.

It's pretty and vigorous -- let's hope someone can name it.

• kek19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I never noticed the white buds before. I ran out and checked mine, it only has a few clusters on it. What do you know, some are white. Not all though, I think the "younger" ones are lighter in color. The buds range from a really light pink-almost white to the dark pink. I think the darker ones are going to open soon.

I didnt look kup Dorothy Perkins yet, but if anything, the pics above are a tad lighter than in person, maybe with the exception of the last pic, that's almost exact to the true color.

I did send a message to neroseman, hopefully it went through, seems like gardenwebs e-mail has been hit or miss lately.

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Dorothy is a soft medium-light pink; she's all over the place around here. Try neroseman again after a few days if you don't hear. He will help. Either the email flubbed up or he is out of town.

• york_rose
    16 years ago

I think the flower color is too dark for Dorothy Perkins, but it's probably some similar rambler.

• gael.christie
    16 years ago

hi,
    you all are right, not s.dorothy. in my memory it was the pink of your picture; but, mine just burst bud, and it is a much lighter pink. and here i thought i was being so very clever (wink).

i am very curious as to what it is. because, now, i want one, but first i need to know what it is. i hope someone has the answer.

• neroseman
    16 years ago

The GW message system seems to be messed-up for some time. Anyway, the rose in question looks to me like the nice old M.H. Walsh rambler 'Excelsa'(1909) with flwrs varying from light red to mauve red to bright red in different seasons. Very vigorous grower & a less PM-prone version of one of it's parents 'Crimson Rambler'. 'Excelsa' was sold for many years as "Seven Sisters" (which it's not), nor is it a sport of 'Dorothy Perkins'. Speaking of which, it turns out that the "Southern Seven Sisters" that Ashdown is selling is actually the M.H. Walsh rambler 'Lady Gay'(1905), with her largeish, ruffled deep pink flowers & lasting light green-apple wichurana scent, which 'DP' doesn't have.

• User
    16 years ago

This looks a lot like my 'Excelsa' as well. Definitely not 'Dorothy Perkins' which is a lighter cameo pink. (warm pink with almost coral tints)

Paul

• kek19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the "red" descriptioin is messing with me, cause it is so not red. Mine just came into bloom, and the only color to describe it (it's from a root cutting from the one in the pic above, but is in shade instead of sun) is HOT pink. I did though find one set of pics of Excelsa on the web and those were the same color as this one. So tell me, when a rose is described as red, it may still look pink? Do the Light red and Mauve red look more pink? When I think of a red rose, I think of the deep red roses you buy at a flower shop.

Excelsa huh? So far it has been by far the closest I've seen. How sure can we be though? I know it's hard to id by pics alone. I just don't want to tell some one that that's what it is, and it's not. I suppose I could keep it at a Rambler Rose, most possibally Excelsa. Or I could keep as, "I don't know what it is, it's just purty." LOL I gave a few people some starts, and they were curious as to it's ID also. And I assumed since it was an old rose, it would be an easy, common ID.

Thanks all!! And thanks neroseman for taking the time to come and help me out!

• michaelg
    16 years ago

"Red" roses traditionally include what we would call deep pink today. Roses that can hold the true red you are talking about without turning purplish are quite recent. I think what neroseman means by "mauve red" is close to the color of your pic. The Excelsa I have seen were more of a cherry red, but I don't know as much as NER and Paul. Climate and weather make a difference. You should start calling your rose Excelsa.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Wichurana ramblers like yours are very common and frequently asked about on the internet. Searching this site using cultivar names such as those menntioned on this thread should bring up more discussion, should you need it.