Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

Could this be Pink Pet (Caldwell Pink)?

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

This was a rose that grew in my friend's Louisiana garden for generations. She gave me a cutting and it grew to produce this flower, which she says doesn't look like what it looked like in Louisiana. It looks like 'Pink Pet' to me (Caldwell Pink) from the pictures on HelpMeFind. What do you think? It has very little fragrance and is thorny. Flowers are about 2" across. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (8)

• strawchicago z5
    5 months ago

Yes, it's Pink Pet .. deeper pink in your sandy soil. My alkaline clay fades all pink, below is my Prairie Harvest with Pink Pet: constant bloomer but zero scent.

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked strawchicago z5
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 months ago

, this is another rose I wasn't aware you grew! Agre e i t i s , stalwarts . ! THIS IS WORSE THAN THE KINDLE! SMELL CLOVES.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks for your thoughts!

It's actually a very nice rose, despite not having a fragrance and having small flowers. I grew it for my friend and have given it to her, so we shall see how it does for her.

• malcolm_manners
    5 months ago

Jackie, Yours does not look like the so-called Pink Pet? Maybe Natchitoches Noisette? I could believe that.

• jacqueline9CA
    5 months ago

Malcom - Thank you so much! I forget where I got mine, but since all of the roses which resemble it, Pink Pet (in commerce), Little Pink Pet, Caldwell Pink, and now Natchitoches Noisette, all appear to be found roses, who knows? I do agree that there seems to be more than one rose involved - at least some photos show a MUCH darker color than others. I looked them up on HMF, and there are photos on there for Pink Pet and Pink Pet (in commerce as) which look exactly like my rose, and other that show darkre blooms that don't. Of course, the fact that someone has uploaded a photo does not mean that it is the named rose, so maybe the photos that match mine are all Natchitoches Noisette put under the wrong rose. I really apprechiate your input, and am going to call mine Natchitoches Noisette from now on, as you have way more knowlege about roses than I do. Also, I like that name better - it sounds more official!

Jackie

• malcolm_manners
    5 months ago

Jackie, The color is variable on both. But so-called Pink Pet makes bigger clusters of smaller flowers, which are closer together (shorter pedicels) It also has narrow, pointed petals and often a button eye (seen nicely in some of the photos, above). Natchitoches Noisette makes bigger flowers, with much broader petals, with longer pedicels so that the flowers stand farther apart from each other. NN is generally a much larger bush. Also, Pink Pet, which is thought to have some R. setigera in its background, makes a rougher, much more serrated leaf. I'll try to get comparison photos in our garden today, if they are both in flower at the moment.

• jacqueline9CA
    5 months ago

Malcolm - thank you again for your helpful comments. I just went out and looked at my mature bush of "whatever it is". Here is some data, which may help you see if it is truly NN: my bush is in full sun for maybe 4 hours a day, except for one side of it, where Anna Olivier is being a bully. It is about 3 ft high and wide and deep. Since you mentioned the leaves, below are pictures of leaves (young and mature) and prickles, if that helps. The last pic shows that imy bush does not set hips - all of the finished clusters on the bush look like that one. I would love to hear your comments on these pics.

Jackie