Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaliranchr

Need help with a cutting

jaliranchr
14 years ago

Skybird? :) or anyone, please help. I've done cuttings from plants but never one from a clematis. A friend wants a cutting from my durable old jackmanii and I've never done a cutting with the clematis before. Is it like others that you cut below the node? Thank you for your help in advance.

Great growing all! :)

Comments (4)

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Clematis shoot roots from between the nodes along a stem section, not from the nodes. I've propagated jackmanii before.

- Get a stiffish part of a green, growing stem - when it's starting to show lengthwise lines, and the leaves are still only about half sized.

- snip off one leaf, snip off the flower bud, and snip the stem 2/3 down, between the nodes. One half-sized leaf left.

- dip end in rooting hormone - I use something called Clonex, pricey, but would put roots on a 10" nail, but I'd think any of the stuff you might have around would work.

- stick in damp sterile-ish potting mix on top a heating mat, keep damp.

- mist a few times over the first few days

it should root within 2-3 weeks. A sign is a new shoot beginning to come off the top node.

I have about a 50% success rate. But that has more to do with forgetting to do something, like water them :-). I'd try a dozen, if you have the inclination. One can never have too many jackmanii.

I have also done some by scraping a bit of the 'tween node stem with a knife, sticking that slightly under ground with a rock over it, and letting the rest of the stem go free. But only once, just to see if it worked, and it did.

Good luck. Thats the bestest clematis for Colorado, I think.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

I'm glad David was able to help, Jali! I know how to propagate a lot of things---but clematis is not one of them!

Thanks for the great instructions, David! I'm gonna save this thread in case I ever decide to try it.

Good luck, Jali!

Skybird

• jaliranchr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, David. Nice clear instructions to print and follow. :) I'm a bit apprehensive but you never know until you try and she really, really wants a cutting. :) I'll let you know how it comes along. Thank you again. And I'll try several just to up the odds.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I forgot to add that once they do root, you'll have far better gardening results if you repot the cuttings into a gallon pot with a stick, and leave it there for a season, and plant it out the next year. Even if you see very little top growth, they're putting all their energy into roots. Which is also the trick when buying a potted clematis - knock it gently out of the pot, and if there is a big root ball, you've got a good one - no matter what shows on top.