Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hesamaf

rose grafting and air-layering

hesamaf
9 years ago

Hello everybody
I have two questions about rose t-budding. Last summer I buded some different cultivares on a Danae hybrid musk rootstock. Most of them have taken. We have hard winters here in Iran when the temperature could fall to - 15c. Should I do anything to protect the buds against frost?

I also want to propagate many dog roses (rosa canina) and graft (bud) my roses on them. Which method is better to propagate the roostocks (seed or hardwood cuttings)? Which is faster for rootstocks to get large enoungh to be buded?
Will the rootstocks propagated in early spring or sprouted in late winter be ready to be grafted within six months (the same year) or I have to wait until next year?will the rootstocks affect the flower's size color or fragrance?

The last question ; I air layered some roses last summer but some of them have not enough roots to be seperated and I'm gonna leave them until spring. What should I do to protect them against frost over winter? Should I water them over winter?

I would appreciate your answers.

Comments (6)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Yes, you should find some way to protect the grafts for winter. Sinking them below the ground would be the best method. If they are outside exposed to the elements they shouldn't need watering. If they are under any covering that will prevent rain or snow from getting to them then yes, you will need to water them at least once a month all winter.

Rooted cuttings will produce bigger plants faster for budding to than seedlings will. Rooted cuttings should be large enough to graft to in a year, I would think. Seedlings would probably take a few years to grow large enough to graft to.

The root stock will definitely affect the size of the grafted plant but it should not have any affect on the color or fragrance. The purpose of grafting a rose to root stock is to make it more vigorous. That is why certain roses have traditionally been used as root stocks. They are very vigorous growers on their own roots. Grafting other varieties to those roots makes the other varieties grow stronger and faster too.

You could heavily mulch the air layered roses with soil or any type of wood mulch for this winter. That should protect the roots which is the most important part to protect.

• hesamaf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for these great answers as always
    But won't sinking in soil damage the bud union or cause rot to apear on the rose bush? Can I cover the entire bush with soil?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

If the rose is dormant it should be fine covered in soil for the winter. It should be too cold for most things to rot. A lot of people here will hill up soil around the bases of their roses as winter protection. And there is a method used in VERY cold zones, called the Minnesota Tip, where half the roots are dug up and the entire rose is laid down sideways into a deep trench and buried for the winter. It does not hurt the roses and protects the canes from freezing and drying out and dying over the winter.

• hesamaf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks , Is the soil type used to mulch important? Such as sand, clay or ...

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

No, most people just use their garden soil so it can be washed back into the garden come spring.

• hesamaf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thank you