Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dainaadele

We had to bring him home, he was a survivor..

dainaadele
11 years ago

I had not realized there was a whole forum on here devoted to Sansevieria. :-) We added a Sansevieria trifasciata to our household last week. As we were cleaning out my MIL home that was uninhabited and unheated in SC all year, lo and behold, one of her plants was still alive. We did not have the heart to throw him away. He had survived too long to be chucked into a trash bin. Two out of five of his shoots were still green, upright and curled up tight into a pencil shape, the others where dried out and dead. I gave him a good drink and his leaves started to open up slightly after a couple of days. He rode home in a seat of honor on the 1200 mile trip home. I hope he likes his new home. I named him George.

So does he set a record? No water, no heat, and sitting out on a north facing window all year?

Comments (18)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

dainaadele,
    That is the main reason we love them. They are rebounders. The all green Sans. trifasciata are the most hardy. Now overwatering it will kill it faster. Also in S.C. it may not have gone beow 40 degrees inside during winter. I have one that survived 30 degrees but only for a very short time with warm ups soon after.
    Sounds like you got something to remind you of your Mother in law. You know it's nickname is Mother in law tongue.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Wow this is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing it. George is amazing!

• User
    11 years ago

Well, quite the survivor indeed, sounds like he earned the trip home w/ you. That seems an especially fitting name, as in Brazil (where I grew up & these plants are common in landscaping), the name of these plants translates literally to:

Sword of St. George the Dragon Slayer,

so Happy New Home to George, may he do well w/ you! Perhaps posts some pix to update us.

• dainaadele
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Giving him a new pot is on the To Do list. Right now he is root bound and his roots are coming out of the holes. I will post pics when he is wearing his new shoes. :)

11 years ago

Still curious... hope it's going well!

10 years ago

I still think about George when people ask about watering their Sans'es... Dainaadele, are you still around?

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Curious here too!

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Curious here too!

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Okay pirate girl, what have you been smoking? "Sword of St. George the Dragon Slayer" is a wonderful name, but translated from what language? As my bro would say, "inquiring minds want to know".

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Solar Storm,

Espada de Sao Jorge = St. George's Sword,

translated from Portuguese, the language of Brazil,

its colonial parent Portugal (& several other former Portuguese colonies, like Angola, Mozambique, Macao, (& I think Goa & the Azores).

I know this as Jorge is my ex-brother-in-law's name, making St. George his patron saint, which is a Catholic custom (Brazil is the largest Catholic country in the world).

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Okay, you're off the hook. Grin. Well said. I suspected it was portuguese origin, but wanted your explanation.

• User
    10 years ago

Why? Just curious? ;>)

Cool saber? What's that from (where'd ya get it)?

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Like most people these days, I googled it and ended up on eBay. I thought it was cool too.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay Dragon Sword

10 years ago

Oh that's awesome! I think of George often, thanks so much for the update. Sending good vibes for continued good health. George & G Jr. look great!

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update!

Purple, reading your posts make me realize I'm not the only one who is of the same mentality! :) My daughter and husband think I need a rubber room sometimes.

10 years ago

Laura, as long as the light is good in the rubber room... right?! LOL!

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

LOL!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH