Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootswisc

Sans saying ouch?

tootswisc
19 years ago

My wonderfully old S. trifasciata had some pale tipless leaves in the center of the plant. These leaves have always bothered me. The plant is filling out nicely. I pulled these pale leaves out of the plant thinking I would be giving healthier looking leaves more space. The next day several leaves on this plant were folded up. I have been decreacing the amount of water to all my sans since bringing them in the house. I did give the plant a healthy drink. Did I harm the plant by gently pulling shoots out of the middle?

Comments (8)

• Michaela
    19 years ago

You don't say how large your pot is, or give us an idea of how many stems are in the pot, but at any rate you are doing right by withholding water. It is doubtful you did and irreparable damage. The next time you feel the need to thin your plant, you really should wait until the late spring and dump it all from the pot, take out the growths you don't want, and repot the rest into new soil. I know....it can be a heavy, hard to handle job!

• User
    19 years ago

If I understand you right, I wouldn't do this again. For many of my Sans., the middle growth is the new growth. If one removed that, I'm not at all sure the plant would continue to produce new growth. But I've never done this or had it happen so I am strictly wondering out loud. Hmmm?

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's a large plant with many beautiful long leaves and pirate girl, it definately is not new growth. These pale leaves have been around for a long time. The leaves, or shoots should I say, pulled out quite easily. I don't think I caused great damage, but I definately caused the leaves to fold up and I feel badly for that despite being happy that those pale tipless shoots are gone. I want to pull out a few more...but I won't until next spring.

• mairzy_dotes
    19 years ago

Leaves folding up in my case was a matter of lack of water. The soil had dried out in the pot and when I would water, it would go around the soil ball & out the drain holes. There was stones on the top of the soil, and I was unaware that it wasn't getting any until I asked about the folded leaves. It was suggested I check the root ball & that is how I discovered the dry as a bone soil.
    Not saying this is the case here, but it would not hurt to check your soil around the roots and make sure it is getting watered well. If you have brought it in the house it should not hurt it to water it once a week anyway.
    Marcy

• jon_d
    19 years ago

If the leaves pulled out easily then it might indicate that their rhizome was gone, which to me, sounds like rot. That could explain why you have more bad leaves. There is rot down there. Sans. are extremely forgiving but they can rot--even old trifasciata. I will spruce up a plant by removing leaves but I always cut them off near the base, or sink my clippers into the soil and cut the whole growth off the rhizomes, so as not to disturb the rest of the plant. Keep it dry and in a warm room, watch it, and if it continues to deteriorate then it might be time to repot it.

I finally repotted my plain ole trifasciata after about 20 years of neglect and found that it had virtually no roots in that old mucky bad-to-begin-with soil. I was going to repot it but left the live old bareroot growths out in the garage for a few months. Finally when I took pity, it wasn't in the best shape (imagine that) but I potted it up, staked the long leaves to hold them upright, and. voila, they rooted and grew back into a smaller but healthier plant. Since some of the leaves were marred up in the process I eventually cut them off after I had sufficient new growth. My plain old tri was my first houseplant--grown from leaves of 'laurentii' back in 1970.

Jon

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is my oldest plant too-from 1971. I have neglected it for years also. I think I repotted it a couple of years ago. It did flower this summer. The center of the plant has always been scrawny and pale. But there are beautiful shoots elsewhere. I am sure it will survive. I really do feel it was telling me not to pull at it anymore.

• Audrey_NY
    19 years ago

I am new to this forum. But what brought me here was that I have two pots of this plant which I inherited from my 95 year old neighbor. I don't have a clue what kind they are. But my question, I think, was answered on this site. I have had them for a few months and I love them. But one plant has recently had bent leaves. I watered them more and they popped up. Can anyone direct me to a site to learn fast about these lovely plants. They are old and beautiful just like the late Mrs. B. Thanka

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Scroll down and you will find how to download a great book. You can also do a google search. Welcome to the forum

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz