Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampslug

Powdery Mildew?

swampslug
11 years ago

I have just started these seedlings indoors under grow lights and recently began hardening them off. This is my first attempt at growing tomatoes in this region. Yesterday I noticed a yellowing in the leaves which I attributed to over-watering/high humidity here in New Orleans. I brought them back inside and have had them under grow lights all day. What was a light yellow has now turned to whitish/brownish. I've seen powdery mildew before and this seems darker in color and less spotty, more contained to a few areas. I don't want to start blasting these babies with neem oil for no reason but I'm not sure what else it might be. I posted photos but my camera is not so great and these are small seedlings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

• Barry_DeMars
    11 years ago

try this and hope it helps determine what it is because of what i see and the high humidity i was thinking black mold spores? go get a fresh planting pot wash it with 10% bleach to kill any spores and rinse it thouroghly and let it dry. then clear the new plants to the root stalk and gingerly replant in fresh soil. hope that helps if the soil is at fault. or the plant pots.

• marklucas
    11 years ago

To control it, you can spray baking soda on the leaves. Put one tablespoon of baking soda with ý teaspoon of liquid soap in a gallon of water. It raises the pH and creates an inhospitable environment for powdery mildew.