Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

April Showers of Surprises Swap

beth_b_kodiak
19 years ago

I'm thinking about doing a one time swap with an April Showers theme. April 15 will be the "Mail Date" so most regions will have a chance to see what has survived the winter in the gardens.

You will send at least one item that will "Bloom " in April or be plantable in April. This should be something from your house, yard or garden so the cost should be $0.00

You will also send at least one item that relates to either Rain or showers in some way. It can be personal like shower gel or for the garden like a sprinkler. Max cost for this part is $10.00

I will match you up with someone from your zone an adjacent one to help with selection of plants.

Also, If you have never participated in one of my swaps, I am going to ask for references. There are always some who sign up and do not follow through so this offers a little more assurance tha no one gets left out.

Interested? Deadline to sign up and get all your info in to me will be April 1.

Anybody notice there is no FOOD in this swap??

Comments (34)

• number_1_angel
    19 years ago

Hi Beth--I want to play!! Your swaps (or rr's) are always fun!! Infact--I think you are the one that started me off on this path of addiction!! And I love you for it!! haha!
    Jeanette

• darlene87
    19 years ago

Hi Beth, you can add me to your list. Sounds easy and fun. You have a super nice day.
    Darlene

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good Morning Jeanette and Darlene. Welcome to "April Showers" Thanks for signing up. You are both great swap partners and this will be fun to share with you.
    I'll be away from the computer most of this weekend but I'll get back to you in a couple days.\
    Beth

• cassiet
    19 years ago

I am interested in joining your swap. I have not participated in your swaps so this will be my first with you however I hear that you do excellent swaps.

Cassie

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

beth,

i would like to participate in your swap as well. i have not been involved in one of yours directly, but i have in several others, all of those which i can provide names.

please let me know.

thanks,
    earthly

• chaud111
    19 years ago

I would like to participate. Please let me know if you need more info

• mgood4u
    19 years ago

I'd like to join. Don't think I've been in any of your swaps yet. I'm doing dawn818"s secret pal and momcat's Easter swap. I have a ton of traders you can get references from as well. Let me know. Thanks, Dawn aka mgood4u

• skohler
    19 years ago

Hi beth :))
    don't think that I've had a chance to join any of your robins yet but I think I can find a friend or 2 that will tell ya I'm a fun player :)))
    hope to hear from you .
    sue

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Those listed above should have a message from me by now. If I have not contacted you yet, please let me know. Thanks, Beth

• hummer07
    19 years ago

Hi Beth! Please add me to your list! As far as references - don't believe a word they say! LOL

Hummer07

• gulliblevolunteer
    19 years ago

Is it too late for me to play? References available upon request ;-) Not much blooms up here in April except last fall's bulbs; maybe a house plant would do...

• veeja11
    19 years ago

I promised I wouldn't do another, but it's you Beth, I use you as a reference, and anyone I've had in other swaps.darn there goes my resolve, unless it is too late then I am saved.

• MargeC
    19 years ago

I guess I will have to do this one as two of my favorites are involved. Marge

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Beth sign me up also. I'm in so many now what does one more matter.
    Shirley

• daisy_me
    19 years ago

Sign me up, Beth. I'd love to participate. :-)

• chaud111
    19 years ago

I would like to sign up

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anybody else from a "warm" area interested so Chaud will have an appropriate zone partner???
    Looks like everyone else is zone 5/6/7

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is the list up to now.
    Darlene 87
    number_1_angel
    cassie
    earthly delights
    chaud111
    Sue K
    Hummer
    Gullible
    Veejaa
    MArgeC,
    Shirley and, Daisy_Me
    With me that makes 13 and that will never do!!! NOt that I'l superstitious BUT>>> Why ask for problems?
    I will leave this open for sign ups until Sunday.
    Meanwhile If I do not already have your address, you could send that to me so I have it for your Swap Partner.
    Beth B

• sparrownest
    19 years ago

I would like to sign up if I can. This is my first time here but I am doing a secret pal swap over at garden junk. I'll email you my address, just let me know.
    Susan

• skohler
    19 years ago

HI :
    can hardly wait for this to get started , will this be for the month of april or can we send now :))) ??? or as soon as we get our names to send to :)) ??
    I have mine about ready to go out :)) except for the plants that is .
    I only ask that whom ever gets my name please no house plant, I have no room :((( wish I did .

Happy gardening to all
    sue

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Sue,( and everyone) I share your excitement, I've started shopping too. It's the perfect excuse and since we don't know yet who we are sending to...... that gives even more possibilities (o:
    Part of the fun for me of these theme swaps is seeing how different gardeners interpret the theme by what they send.
    Just like each garden is different, maybe even if we planted the same plants we would arrange them in different ways.
    You won't have your Pal's name and address until the first or second of April and everyone has until the 15th to mail their package. It's sure not too soon to be thinking about it.
    You may be right that the plant is going to be the harder part of the package I'd ask people to share their ideas if they don't think that would spoil the surprise.
    It's meant to be fun and it is sounding like it will be.

• veeja11
    19 years ago

I am ready and eager for this one to start. most perennials can be divided now. I may send out an aster clump

• Melinda Hagen
    19 years ago

Is it too late to sign up? I haven't done any of these things for quite a while! Thanks, Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WE have 15 now and still only have Chaud from the warm ZONES. I'll give this a couple more hours and then call it closed
    15 or 16 is a very good numder to work with. Thanks everyone for your intrest
    Hope everyone has a nice Easter. I ate too much and need to take a nap. Bsides,it's much too muddy and cold outside to do any gardening

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

We will hyave 15 people in this swap any you will get the name and address of your swap partner the end of this week I will take one or two more from zones 9 or 10 if there are any who are interested but we are now officially closed to zones 7 and lower.
    If you have NOT sent me your address please do it today. People from last years swap I still have yours so you are OK.
    I have some nice herbs and daylillies. No names surviving on the day lillies but they are hybrids, not ditch lillies. Still watching for other things to pop up out there in the MUD. I'll wait about another week to decide what to send
    Sue K has said "No House plants" Anybody else with strong preferences please post.
    I for example LOVE hostas but the deer eat them almost immediatly so they are not a good choice to send to me.
    NO "wish lists" please other than the ones posted on your GW page. but, if there is something you know will NOT WORK for you, let us know.
    Dont' forget to send me your Snail Mail address along with your Garden Web name so there is no confusion over who is who. Many thanks, Beth

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I still need several addresses for the people in this swap. I'll send out matches tomorrow night with the ones that I have but will give one more reminder today.
    Today feels and smells a bit like spring and believe me.... I'm more than ready for it.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey everybody, I've been working on this, trying to RUSH and sandwich it in between everything else that I am trying to rush too!!! LOL Not really funny though, as I suspect I have messed up.
    IF you got an address, please tell me who I sent and if you DID NOT get one yet tell me that too. I want to double check and be sure that no one is missed.
    I'll be traveling all afternoon but will get back to this tonight. Thanks, Beth

• mellen
    19 years ago

I see I missed this one. Mellen

• daisy_me
    19 years ago

Just curious, has anyone heard from the hostess of this swap?

• number_1_angel
    19 years ago

Hi Daisey-Yes I have- and I have a name--and just 2 posts before this one she is asking if we have heard from her or not--Beths rr's and swaps are alway great--just give her an email!!
    Have a terrific day!!
    Jeanette

• daisy_me
    19 years ago

Already did, 2 days ago. She must be busy so I'll just wait patiently. :-)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry to be so slow getting back here, I went to PA on Sunday and had been told by my ISP that the "Toll free number is good from anywhere you go" I would not be surprised if it did not work in Alaska BUT, and adjacent state is certainly part of "anywhere" in my opinion.Anyway, no computer access for three long days
    Then to complicate things even farther my notebook with all the names disapeared from the table in a confrence room where I left it when I went for lunch. It is of no real use to anyone but me so I felt safe leaving it. Hard to think too, that a housekeeper thought it might be "trash". It went "somewhere" Everything's gotta be somewhere. Anyway, I am trying to play both catch up and, to reconstruct the set of names of who is sending to who.
    If you have NOT sent me the name of who you are sending to yet please send it ASAP. If I do not hear tonight I will contact you direct in the morning. I need to get all the names out to everyone an d I know there are 4 or 5 who have not fotten names.
    Again, I'm sorry for this delay but I'll get it set straight tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for some patience and good humor. It helps when nothing else does,
    BB

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

All of the addresses have been sent. If you do not have the name and address yet of who you are mailing to PLEASE let me know. I have reconstructed the list and am 99.5% sure I got it correct.
    As an aside.... I ordered daylillies from Rainbows End Nurseries and they are such nice big healthy plants I'm delighted. I got hostas from them a couple times but can't do that here they are too expensive to use as deer food.LOL I like BAMBI but I want him to eat grass Looking foreward to seeing what these look like when they bloom.

• skohler
    19 years ago

HI all
    just wanted my hostess to know my spring box went out
    yesterday and should arrive on monday :)))

hope she enjoys, I forgot to put in the card :(((
    but I think she will know who i'am :))
    have a great weekend all .

wounder who's getting the box ??????

sue