Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajaysr5

February update So.Cal tropicals.......

ajaysr5
14 years ago

Spring is around the corner and all my tropicals are doing great.Here is 1 of my 2 Carrie Mango pushing out alot of flower buds.Enjoy the pics...

Comments (20)

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ice Cream mango starting to bloom.

My 2nd carrie mango in the ground.This Carrie has been putting out flowers since December.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Looking very nice. Spring is coming soon for sure! Are you planning to let some fruit hold on your trees if they want to, or will you remove to allow for another year of growth?

Harry

• pikorazi
    14 years ago

thank you for the pictures :-)

i have one question: on the pic titled 'ice cream mango starting to bloom' i see a protection for poted plants in the background, what is this protection exactily for? low temperatures? animals?

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

SWEET!! Congratulations...trees are looking great. Hope you get to taste at least a couple this year. Good luck! Spring is not quite here yet...my extended forecast calls for a couple more cold(30's) by the end of the week. Looking forward to the "real" spring!

• red_sea_me
    14 years ago

Nice flower clusters are you going to keep any fruit?

-Ethan

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmhausman,the 2nd Carrie mango I got 4 fruits last year this year I might let it hold between 6-8 fruits.As for the 1st Carrie mango I will let it hold some fruit this year,last year I pruned of all the flowers.

pikorazi,that is just a burlap cover to protect the young plants I have from the winds.I have a few jackfruit seedling in there and newly grafted mangoes that I try to
    protect from winds.As for temps we do not get freeze the lowest it got this year is 45degrees typical winter in my area.

Here is a pic of my nam doc mai.no blooms but i can see it coming...

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

great pics. thanks

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hello Ajay,
    Your yard is one of my favs on this site. I wated to ask you what is the potted tree behind and to the right of the nam doc mai. and what are the newly grafted mangoes and did you do the grafting?

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andrew,The potted plant on the right is a hass avocado I bought last summer that will be put on the ground this year.The mango that I grafted last year is Manila mango and I also have a few ataulfo seedling mango I planted last year and everybody id growing nicely.I also have a few jackfruit seedling.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hello Ajay,
    I have asked this question to a few people in FL and have not got an answer yet, so I thought I would ask you. Do sweet oranges grow slower then other citrus? I am only asking because I bought 2 citrus last spring, a dwarf keylime and a dwarf moro blood orange. The keylime has grown like a weed! It has tropled in size(if not more.) and has bloomed at least 3 times but no fruit yet. I know it will fruit once it goes outdoors. The orange on the other hand has grown some, but not at all as much as the keylime. I think it added maybe 4-5 more branches and is the same height still. I am asking because I am going to buy a Improved meyer lemon but I am still thinking about the washington navel. I know if I get it it will be about 2ft tall. I don't want to have to wait a long time to grow before it will fruit. As it is, my blood orange will be going in to year 2 this spring and unless it grows like crazy, it will be another year. I am fertilizing and giving it good light, obviously I have it in good growing conditions because the keylime responded very well. Any help would be great.
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andrew,I have 3 lemon tree and and an orange tree and they both grow like weeds.I think weather has something to do with it.I have orange tree and lemon tree now holding on to ripe fruit and at the same time has new fruits on it.I did buy a dwarf honey tangerine last july and it is also growing like weed.I fertelized them with good avocado and citrus fertilizer every 3 months except winter time.I will take pictures of my valencia orange and lemon tree..

• lloydellsworth
    14 years ago

Ajay, thank you for posting the updates. The mango trees look great. I am just getting into tropical fruits and I have been looking for these three types of mangos among others. Can you let me know where you purchased them from or did you graft them yourself? I have a manila mango so for and it would be great to add some other varieties to my garden.

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lloydellsworth,I go t most of my trees from nipa hut gardens.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

lloydellsworth, Home Depot and Lowes both sell mango trees here, did you check your local stores?

there are several mail order sites like Pine Island that sell different varieties.

since you have a manilla i would recommend a Carrie mango, best non Asian type IMO

• lloydellsworth
    14 years ago

I checked HD and Lowes and they only carry Manilla mango. I also checked with Armstrong Gardens and they have Kent and Gold Nugget but they are $90 for a 5 gallon! That's very expensive. I like Pine Island's selection, but after shipping and other surcharges for CA shipments it came out to over $100 per plant. I will check out the Nipa Hut website. Thank you for the help.

• arch555
    14 years ago

ajay,

your plants look so good/healthy. you're a 10 - is that san diego area? am afraid those mangoes would not survive in santa clarita (which is a 9). we are 45 miles north of los angeles. do you still have jackfruit seeds - could you spare me some?

thanks,
    archie

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Archie,I am at 90745 South Bay Area(Los Angeles).I do not have anymore jackfruit seeds.

• tagtail
    14 years ago

lloydellsworth,
    You may check out the info at CRFG site http://www.crfg.org/nurlist.html
    The nurseries in SoCal listed on that page should have the mango tree you want.

• whatsnew2000
    14 years ago

AJay, what part of S. Cal do you live in? I live in the IE (Corona). I am planning/want to buy some tropical fruit plant (Mango, Logan, wax Jambu) but not sure if those plants will grow.

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

whatsnew2000,I live in Los Angeles County near the coast(90745),I have all those plants you mention and they do fine in my area without protection.My parents live in the IE(Moreno Valley) and they have 4 mango trees on the ground and does fine.The only thing is during the summertime you must water them constantly because of the 100 degree plus heat.I do not know if longan and wax jambu will do good in the IE.