Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

My Potted Carrie and Nam Doc Mai Mango

ch3rri
12 years ago

My potted Carrie and Nam Doc Mai trees are fruiting. This is so exciting!!! Do you guys think I should just remove all the fruits so the trees can be healthier? I'm thinking maybe I should just leave one fruit on each tree. What do you experts think?

Carrie

Nam Doc Mai

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of mango trees

Comments (19)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Kristy:

Looks good....congratulations! I'd leave them and if they are not meant to be they will drop on their own. Go for a fully ripe mango....it'll be worth it.

Harry

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Great Job!! Nice and healthy...good luck, I hope you get to try a few this year.

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Kristy,

Totally go for it. They look big enough to hold them, and heck they'll drop them if they can't. Gorgeous healthy trees you got there. Great Job!

Jacob

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Yeah, Kristy - life is too short - leave them on!
    Amazing that you can grow them up there in my old neighborhood (well close maybe - Upstate NY near Binghamton!)

SEND US PICTURES OF THE RIPE FRUIT!

GOOD LUCK - Mangodog

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Ch3rri, you always have the best looking trees. That mango tree looks so shiny green. Beat Florida trees. Good job. You are talented and blessed.

Do you have a picture for your sugar apple tree?

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Leaving the fruit on will help keep your trees dwarfed.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• shelley_h_gardener
    12 years ago

What size pot is your Nam Doc Mai in? I am thinking about buying one and want to keep it in a pot until we decide if we are going to move or not.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the tree is in a 5 gallon pot. I usually plant the tree in a pot just a little larger than the root size.

• franktank232
    12 years ago

You probably have the most northerly fruiting mangoes in N America! Awesome. Someday I'm going to buy a grafted tree and try to get some fruit here.

• nullzero
    12 years ago

ch3rri,

Just curious how do you manage the overwintering of the Mangoes and other tropical fruit? Do you use HPS lighting?

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Great looking trees and fruit Kristy! My Nam Doc Mai and Carrie were the only trees to flower and hold fruit this year but I just plucked the two thumb sized baby mangoes off each of the trees yesterday. Although I feel like the tree could have held the fruit to full maturity, I wanted to divert all the energy that would have otherwise gone into the fruit to go into root and vegetative growth instead. Whatever you decide, please keep us updated!
    Simon

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Ch3rri,

I see a sugar apple behind the mango. Do you have a picture for that tree? I am interested to acquire a sugar apple tree, but be told that the tree grows quite leggy and could take lots of space.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Yellowthumb. I took pictures of them and will post in a few minutes.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Kristy, I had to bump this thread. How did the fruit taste? I have both Carrie and Nam Doc Mai. I've tasted Nam Doc Mai in Thailand but I've never tasted a Carrie before. Is the Carrie a keeper?
    Simon

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Kristy, That's true how did these mangoes tasted?I'm planning to get a 7 gallon mango tree next spring and maybye get a Carrie mango ,but I'm not sure about the herby taste this is why I ask.Perry the owner of flora exotica will only charge me 125$ for the tree in total!!!It comes to from pine island nursery too.

Sam

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Simon and Samuel. Unfortunately the stupid birds ate some part of the carrie mango and then it dropped before full size. I did not get to taste the carrie. As for the nam doc mai, it's still on the tree...still green..not sure when I can eat it. Maybe I'll pick it in a couple days.

I heard people say Carrie is not that good compared to other mango. I hope it tastes good too.

Kristy

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey Kristy, thanks for the update. I'm sorry the birds got to your Carrie fruit before you could. From all the posts I've read, people either love or hate Carrie and it depends if you harvest the Carrie at the right time.

Just a couple of days ago, I was surprised to find Nam Doc Mai mangoes for sale at "The Fruit Shop" in San Diego. The NDM's were mostly picked green but I found a couple yellower ones and also picked up a few greener ones. When the yellower ones ripened, they were really good, when the greener ones ripened, they were much less sweet and lacked flavor. The fully ripened NDM's I ate in Thailand were way better, very sweet and flavorful.
    Simon

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

I'd be so mad if I was in your position...I feel sorry for you Kristy.I hope you nam doc mai will taste good.

Sam