Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

As of May 1st it's Danko and Pi-po by a mile.

jll0306
15 years ago

Weather prevented me from getting the spring plants out until the middle of April and even at that late date, I lost several to late frosts and biting winds.

Although the daytime temperatures have been quite pleasant for some time now, in the microclimate of the tomato patch, we have not yet had a full week with nighttime temperatures above 50 degrees

In spite of this, Danko, one of the last plants to be started from seed, is blooming wildly and has set the most fruit. It is also the largest and healthiest plant of all so far.

I selected this variety because another GW poster had testified to its outstanding performance in his coastal garden last year, even though they had an unusually cool season with nights dipping into in the forties. I am happy to say it is meeting and exceeding my expectations.

Pi-po, a variety about which I can find no information, outside of Tatiana's Tomatobase, is running a close second. As it's a VERY early (41 dtm) variety I expect it to start pulling ahead soon, although Black Sea Man looks like it wants to be a contender in the early and productive race as well.

Hooray! The 2009 Tomato season is really underway at last!

Jan

Comments (10)

• rnewste
    15 years ago

Thanks Jan, Keep us posted on how you find the taste of Danko vs. Bloody Butcher or Stupice.

Raybo

• jll0306
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raybo,

I had Stupice in my winter garden and although it bloomed heartily, it never set fruit. After a few weeks of waiting, I gave up and took it to friends in the low desert.

Of the remaining semi-outdoor crop which included Siberian, Silvery Fir Tree and SubArctic Plenty, Bloody Butcher and Glacier were the only two that were at all productive for me. All of them spent the worst of the winter months in the 6X4 ft. hoophouse which was open during the day and closed at night with a couple of shoplights for heat, but some varieties just seem to deal with extreme 24 hour temperature swings better than others.

The hands down winter winner, however, in terms of fruit size, productivity, and taste was Sophie's Choice which I grew in my windowsill garden. I kept it in a gallon container, so it didn't get very tall, but I've never seen such a small plant with so many big fruits on it at one time.

I have a primo selection of dwarf tomatoes to try next fall and winter, but Sophie has set a high standard for them to follow.

Jan

• sprtsguy76
    15 years ago

My first fruit set of the year was Danko. And while its very wispy and sparse it too is loading the fruit on. Cant wait to try it. Last years first fruit set was Anna Russian and Early Gril. I'd say about 60% of my crop are hearts.

Damon

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Thanks Jan, Keep us posted on how you find the taste of Danko vs. Bloody Butcher or Stupice

I would certainly hope that Danko tastes better than those other two. It's a med red heart and while early for a heart, such as is Anna Russian, I wouldn't put it in the same category as Matina, Stupice, Kimberly, Bloody Butcher, Sophie's Choice, Siberian, etc., rather, it's more of a mid=season variety.

it's a variety that was sent to me a couple of years ago along with 12 others from the CIS ( former USSR)and I listed it in the SSE Yearbook and I sent seeds for trial to Sandhill and I think, but am not sure, to Victory Seeds and possibly to TGS as well.

I know it's offered at Sandhill for sure, but I sure would like to know where the rest of you got your seeds b'c I like to know where my tomato "kids" end up on the net.( smile).

I guess I should be asking the same question for Sophie's Choice, another one that I introduced, seeds originally from a person from CA, and ultimate source was Edmonton, Canada.

Ah, I forgot, I also offered it in a seed offer elsewhere.

Carolyn, who happens to think that Danko is a darn good variety so I hope it really does do well for many folks.

• fred6a
    15 years ago

Carolyn,
    I started reading this forum in Jan, picked up on your suggestions and ordered Danko and other varieties. My Danko came from Victory. I sowed seed very late and planted three of each variety. The Danko have all come up, were among the first to sprout and look healthy. So far so good.
    Thanks for all suggestions. I look for your postings. There is always something new to learn.
    Fred

• jll0306
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn,

I am expecting Danko to taste at least as good as Sophie's Choice. You outdid yourself with that selection!

I ordered Danko from Sand Hill, and I got my Sophie's Choice Seeds from Remy, who now has a great little Sample Seed Shop business going.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remy's Tomatoes

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Danko came from Victory

Thanks Fred, so my memory was correct. I did check what I sent Mike and it was Anna Maria's Heart, Danko, Green Doctors and Ashleigh altho he didn't get enough seed from Ashleigh to offer for 2009. Hopefully for 2010.

How about the rest of you as to seed source for Danko?

Carolyn

• jll0306
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, boy, oh boy! I just ordered ASHLEIGH from Remy, too. I didn't know that was one of your introductions, Carolyn. It should be a gooder.

That order also included Monkey A**, which should be the hands down winner in any most unusual name contest, and Olive Hill, another "new" variety from the great old KY heirloom-raising families. Yes, I know that's a total oxymoron, but you understand, I'm sure.

jan

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Oh, boy, oh boy! I just ordered ASHLEIGH from Remy, too. I didn't know that was one of your introductions, Carolyn. It should be a gooder.

It's not one of my introductions. It's from Neil in Canada who got it from local friends and it's from Macedonia and a darn good large red beefsteak variety. I don't know where it might fit in with my other large red beefs but it's well worth growing or I wouldn't have sent it out here and there.

I don't send out for trial just stuff that I introduced, rather, I send out for trial the best of what I grow each year and do so to TGS and Sandhill, and more recently Victory. I used to send out to others as well, but prefer to stick with those three.

Sandhill and Victory can turn around a variety and offer it the next year while Linda at TGS has to subcontract out so there's usually at least a two year wait and sometimes more.

Ya, Remy would have Ashleigh. She deals seeds with a lot of folks and also each year gets stuff from my seed offer elsewhere as well. I've known her for many years and she's a really nice person.

As for monkey A$$, well, from the feedback I've seen it won't be at the top of anyones list for a great tomato variety other than the name. LOL

Carolyn

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

I got my Danko from Carolyn. Also got Gianini and Serdtse Buivola from Carolyn and cant wait to try them. Serdtse Buivola has also set fruit.

Damon

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!