Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonnybelle

Moving to Springfield, VA from the Dallas area (rose question)

sonnybelle
16 years ago

This is a cross-post from the Antique Roses forum.

Even though I am excited to move to the DC area in a few weeks, one thing that has been tugging at me is leaving my roses behind. I thought I'd ask the Virginia residents (and maybe even someone who lives close to Springfield) which of the roses listed below (in containers right now) do well over there.

- Dame de Coeur

- Mevrouw Natalie Nypels

- Marie Pavie

- Perle dÂOr

- Souvenir de la Malmaison

- Coldwell Pink

- Francis Dubreuil

- Pink Gruss an Aachen

- Paul Neyron

- Climbing Iceberg

- Charles Darwin (David AustinÂs)

- Mrs. R. M. Finch

- Pink Rosette

- Charity (David AustinÂs)

- Baby Love, miniature

- Deep Velvet, miniature

- RainbowÂs End , miniature

To add insult to injury, the relo company just told me that it would not move the plants, so any container I take with me would travel across the country in a van with our three big dogs... I will rehome the others with family, friends or rose enthusiasts...

Thank you very much for your input.

Isabelle

Comments (2)

• DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
    16 years ago

I think everyone is out watering--or too discouraged by the drought to spend time on the forum.

Check the Potomac Rose Society (www.potomacrose.org) for a list of roses that do well here. Could you arrange for someone to ship the roses to you when the weather moderates?

Good luck with your move!

• megajas
    16 years ago

Honestly, I'd try anything here (I live about 20 min's north of Richmond, VA). Our biggest rose problems are powdery mildew on things like dorothy perkins/7 sisters, black spot, and japanese beetles. I've grown New Dawn, Zepherine Doughin, lady banks, Red Fairy, Veilchenblu, Rose-Marie Viaud, 7 sisters, Dorothy Perkins, rosa rugosa, baby faurex, moss rose, tea roses, and austins... I've had decent luck with most. The worst were the DP/7 sis with the PM and the fact that they grew to kingdom come with all those prickles. If nothing else, just take a bunch of cuttings to bring with you wrapped in damp paper & root them here.

Good luck!

Sponsored