Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stechkin

new to va

stechkin
10 years ago

I'm just wondering if it's to late in the season to plant anything, if not what can i plant?

Thanks,
Will

Comments (6)

• gardener_sandy
    10 years ago

Where are you in VA? The state has a wide variety of climates, from the much cooler mountains to the warmer southeastern coastal area.

It's not too late to plant cole crops such as broccoli and cabbage, spinach, lettuce, kale, and others in any area of Virginia. Warmer weather crops such as squash and cucumbers can be planted in the central and eastern parts of the state and with good fall weather will produce a crop. There's a good publication on fall vegetable gardening available for free from University of Tennessee. I'll put a link to it in the box below. Give us your location and someone will be able to help you with more specifics.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Vegetable Gardening

• stechkin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in the Newport News area between the James and York River.

• gardener_sandy
    10 years ago

Your average first frost in the fall is sometime around November 6. Count backwards the number of days a vegetable takes from seed to harvest, add a couple of weeks for a harvest period, and add a week to ten days for the slower growth in cooler nights and shorter days of fall.

An example: Blue Lake bush green beans take about 60 days to reach harvest time from planting the seeds in spring. Add 14 days for harvesting and 10 days for slower growth and you get 84 days. Counting backwards 84 days from Nov. 6 gets you to Aug. 14. So for the next week or so you can plant green beans and be reasonably sure they will mature and produce a crop for you this fall. You can look up maturity times for most vegetables in any good online seed company's website. Plus, your local garden center should soon have transplants of some things such as broccoli.

Just remember that this is all averages. Some years frost comes earlier, sometimes it's later. And all the garden problems can affect the crop, too.

Sandy

• biceto
    10 years ago

Hi it is deffinitely not to late to plant. I am a landscape designer and have been running my own business for 13 years.

Take a look at my website: www.lissaslandscapeco.com

I can help!

Thanks,
    Melissa

• coffeehaus
    10 years ago

We are in central VA and just planted the following this past week:
    arugula
    lettuce
    mache
    snap peas
    turnips
    kale
    broccoli raab
    radicchio
    daikon radish
    spinach
    carrots
    beets
    And if you can find transplants of broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, or cabbage, you can plant those, as well. Plenty of garden season left! You can also extend the season with some easily made hoops.

• river_city
    10 years ago

I just planted asparagus, artichoke, and some additional fruit trees.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery