Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinatx119

What's wrong with my dying red tip photinia

christinatx119
10 years ago

Is someone able to recognize what is wrong with my red tip photinia? It has never done as well as the 4 other red tips I have planted near it. I thought it was dying and needed more water but now I think I made the problem worse by overwatering in cool spring weather. I don't think it is a disease as I don't see spotting on too many of the leaves. Maybe a couple. But the leaves are turning more yellow and drying up. Even the beautiful new growth. :( I pulled some of the dying yellow leaves in this picture.

Comments (12)

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

red tip photinia is very susceptible to root rot and that's why this overplanted shrub has fallen out of favor. Once sick they do not recover so, if I were you, I'd start making plans to purchase and plant alternate replacements.

• christinatx119
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your response. I am open to suggestions for a shrub that offers good coverage for privacy from neighbors, leaves that last throughout the year and also low maintenance.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

One north Texas organic gardening personality claims they can be saved. I'd replace rather than mess with the extensive treatment (see link), but mention it as an option for someone trying to save a plant or two within a mature hedge.

We had this problem in Houston, but not so much on the north side of Dallas where there must have been hundreds planted along fence lines as privacy and sound barriers during the 70s and 80s. What seems to do most of them in around here is the extreme pruning that is eventually done after they've severely outgrown the 3 to 6 feet of space between the fence and sidewalk or street. They don't appear to have the resilience of the hollies or boxwoods for recovering an attractive shape once badly hacked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic photinia treatment

• eibren
    10 years ago

I wonder if the molasses in that treatment attracts ants, which then help to keep the plant aerated?

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Horticultural molasses bolsters beneficial microbes in the soil. Noticed 'Dirtdoctor' speculates it may actually repel fire ants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry (horticultural) Molasses

• quarzon
    7 years ago

When i purchased a few of these i was told to not mulch them and only water to get them established. Mine are in partial sun throughout the day and are really healthy.

• carrie751
    7 years ago

Mine were healthy for over 20 years , but really took a hit this year from the sudden drop in temps in January..................I have had to have a lot of big limbs trimmed out, but they still look pretty good. Time will tell if this has permanently damaged them.

• melbajb13
    6 years ago

My red tipped photon leaves getting black spots what is wrong

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

It most probably has Entomosporium maculatum, aka photinia leaf spot. It is a very wide spread fungal problem that will eventually defoliate the plant and kill it. Red tip photinias have fallen out of favor across much of the country because of it. And it is seldom worth bothering to treat.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    6 years ago

It looks to me to be chlorotic from high alkaline soil. I see many photinia in N & Central TX with the pale to yellow leaves- they definitely don’t like alkaline soil.

• buttoni_8b
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Previous owners at my place planted 6 (1 was missing when we bought the place) along a driveway cement planter box. Bought a replacement yesterday at Home Depot. They are all healthy and have survived a severe cutting back (down to 3') I did last year. They had gotten 15-20 feet tall and I didn't like the wall-like effect. They are filling out and new red growth is so pretty this week. They live in a partially shaded area with overhead oak growth in my and my neighbor's yard. You can see them in this photo. Oh, and I planted 6 very young Forsythia bushes in the cement box last year that all amazingly came through our freeze nicely. Just leafing out and a couple blooms on the 12-15" tall babies. :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting