Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobthegamer

Is vermicomposting dangerous to your health?

Bobthegamer
10 years ago

I just got into vermicomposting recently and since i started i have been really into it.But lately i was wondering if it could be dangerous since the way i prepare my worms food is i get food vegetable/fruit scraps that are beginning to rot then i blend it and store it in a bucket until my worms finished their last meal.By the time i give them their food its filled with mold and all fuzzy but they seem to love it.But can this be dangerous to my health since I'm handling all this rotten food when i'm preparing it and when i'm feeding them.

Comments (7)

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

I put my food into the bins a little before it gets to be repulsive. It can decompose those last couple of days in there.

If you're feeding any soft, liquidy stuff like cantaloupe or watermelon or things edible without choppers, don't worry about it decomposing....they'll eat it right away.

But I don't think you're in danger unless some critter flittering around that putrid mess decides to take a bite outa you.

Chuckiebtoo

• mherron2213
    10 years ago

Maybe Latex Gloves if you are worried

• Priswell
    10 years ago

Just be sure to wash your hands. It doesn't even have to be antibacterial. Just be sure to keep rubbing your hands together about the same amount of time as singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". ;-)

• napapen
    10 years ago

why wait, just put it in as you have it. That's what I do. Penny

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I put my veggie and fruit scraps in that I used to throw in the trash. It decomposes fast. I mist my worm bed daily. It helps the paper and food stay moist. They prefer moist to lots of food. They will eat the newspaper bedding. Mine are hard core. I don't cut the food up for them like the teacher of my vermie class recommended. Still alive and doing well.

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

It will just take longer for them to use the food you put in the bin if you dont chop it up and leave it whole but eventually will get done.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

If you have an allergy to mold than it could be somewhat dangerous.....wearing a mask and gloves would help.....

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths