Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

Back to Seeds~ pal swap suggestions???

beth_b_kodiak
18 years ago

Is anyone interested an a 12 month swap for seeds. Each month every member would send and recieve a card from her pal and one pack of seeds. They should be something special that your pal has on a wish list.

We tried this a couple years ago with a great bunch of gals. It quickly grew into the neat box swaps that we are enjoying today.

I'm wondering of anyone would like to do the seeds again. We would not start sending the seeds until Jan when we are all drooling over our seed catalogs anyway. With so many seeds at 4 or 5 dollars a pack I'm sure there a lot that we wish for but don't buy for ourselves. If we plan ahead for a few months it would be possible to order several months worth and save on the shipping costs. Or, a couple members can order together and save shipping costs that way.

Seeds need not be store bought . If you have something your pal wants then it is fine to send it but remember open pollinated seeds do not come true unless they are heirloom varieties. If someone requested for example "Peaches and Cream Hollyhocks", sending seed from the yellow ones in your yard is not the same thing. Ordering something your pal wants and sharing a pack is OK too as long as there are enough seed in the pack.

It could be secret or not secret. Whatever people prefer.

I'm not ready for sign ups yet, just looking for thoughts and ideas. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Beth,

I think this is a GREAT idea! I'd be interested in participating. I am in a 12-month Secret Pal swap and also one of those Special Person of the Month swaps. I have really LOVED being in them, and love seeing my Secret Pal post what she receives, but they have both been a lot of work (work I haven't minded doing).

This is nice and simple and uncomplicated and less work. One card, a pack of seeds. If you can keep it simple and not get people competing with each other to outdo what others have done, then it would be just right for me at the moment.

I also don't have an opinion about the secret or not secret part, I would do either.

Alison

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

I'd be very interested in such a seed pal swap. Especially since I think you would stick with it, Beth. I've been in a couple of other 12 month swaps that just fizzle out after a couple of months and that's very disappointing. Let me know when you are ready for sign ups.

Sue

• djm906
    18 years ago

Sure, Sounds like fun, Doris

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sue is so right about the 12 month swaps tending to fizzle out. Yaya's circle seems to be doing better than most but it is difficult. Some people just run out of steam and others have real problems that make it impossible for them to continue.
    This swap will have deadlines and people who do not mail or post that they recieved will be dropped. I hate to be so tough but that is the only thing that is fair.
    Wonder if being known rather than "secret" makes any difference in the amount of effort people make to stick with their pal? It wouldn't to me, but it might to some people.

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Beth, I like the idea of just seeds and a card in a bubble envelope. As Alison said the beauty of this pal swap is that it is simple.
    I would participate whether it was secret or not, but the 'child' in me wants it to be a secret pal swap. LOL

I loved it when I was in one of your 12 month secret pal's.

Sharon

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Please count me in too, I don't care if it's secret or not. although some problems could be avoided if it were not secret. thankyou carol

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Hi, Beth,

I would love to participate in this!! I think that it being open would avoid some problems also!! But whatever is fine with me!!

Carly

• darlene87
    18 years ago

I would also love to join. For me, it does not have to be secret. Does it have to be all flower? I have some heirloom tomatoe seeds, heirloom parsley, and some veggie seeds plus a few shrub seeds.
    Darlene

• mellen
    18 years ago

Beth, I, too, would love to be in this. Sounds as though you may have enough people who are interested.

Mellen

P.S. Beth, Would you please e-mail me? I have birthday presents for you from Sue's BD exchange. jlpmep@netins.net Thanks!

• bears15ne
    18 years ago

This is great...
    count me in

I've been in swap's where its just to see who can out do the other, then it turns into a nightmare... alot more fun if you send 1 pack and you dont feel bad cause you didnt send 1/2 the local garden center with it...

Here is a link that might be useful: My Page

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Beth, I am itching to put in my seed order. When can we start this swap? It looks as if most people want it to be 'not secret' so let's go with that.
    tma

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone, glad to see so much intrest in my Seed Swap.
    Need to let you know that I will be off line for a week or so. My Mom just passed away yesterday and I need to go first to Kodiak and then to MD for the funeral.
    I promise to get back to all of you about this in early Oct. Thanks for your patience and understanding, BB

• veeja11
    18 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with you, remember a lot of us out here love you, sending you lots of big BEAR hugs((())))
    hugs carol

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Oh, Beth I am SO sorry for your loss!! I know from experience how hard it is to lose your mother and I will be thinking of you!

Carly

• luvs2garden8686
    18 years ago

hi there! this sounds like fun :-) I'd love to join if that's ok :-) this is SUCH a great idea! I look forward to hearing more about this :-) and I'm sorry to hear that your mother passed away. I'll keep you in my prayers. thanks for doing this

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Beth, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you.
    sharon

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

Beth, if there is anymore room for another person.....I would like to join in. I think going back to the basics is a great idea. Simple but sweet.. and definately something fun to look forward to each month.
    I'll send email if you have room..
    Bonnie

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Beth
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. A big cyber hug is being sent your way.
    When you have the time (or if you need help let me know) to put this together I too would like to join. I agree with the others this sounds like an old fashioned fun swap to be in!! Secret or not is fine with me.
    Please do take some time for yourself as you so deserve it.
    Take care my friend,
    Jan

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to all who have posted. The response has been good enough that I will plan to post this as a new swap and start taking sign ups over the weekend.
    Will not start the actual swap until after the first of the year so we get a chance to look at the new seed catalogs. I seem to do much better with the paper catalog in my hands where I can mark up all the pages and study them carefully. I'm looking foreward to getting this started. I appreciate your intrest. Thanks again, BB

• bears15ne
    18 years ago

beth
    nice that your back, sorry for your loss.

we're ready to rollllll

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

Hey you all!!!! I will be sooooooooooooooo disappointed if I miss out on this--can I still get in????
    Jeanette (aka Number_1_Angel)