Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Are Cherokee Purple tomatoes supposed to be so ugly?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

We just recently picked the first 2 cherokee purple tomatoes, but they were still green. The reason for picking them was that they had grown to the size of a baseball, then stopped growing for about 2 weeks, and didnt show any signs of changing colors and ripening, but they were starting to get cracks on the tops and creases and spots, so we decided to pick them and let them ripen indoors so they wouldnt just keep cracking on the vine and not ripening.

So about 6 days later, the first was apparently ripe. It was like red-ish, brownish, purple-ish, greenish on the outside, and the same on the inside, except the area where the seeds and the slimy thick liquid surrounding the seeds was like dark green colored instead of red or yellowish. When we both looked at it, we both said, in stereo, "I'm not eating that!"

So, are they supposed to look so ugly?

Comments (10)

• Fred_in_Maine
    12 years ago

I've never picked CP early to let them ripen inside. I've always picked them when obviously ripe. Dark red body with green/purple shoulders. The inside has always been very red. And amazing flavor.

• Bets
    12 years ago

HighlanderNorth, where are you located? I'll be right over to eat that ugly tomato for you! I'll save you from it!

Seriously, that tomato sounds just right, and I would not have hesitated to eat it. The first slice would have been nekkid, the second salted, and the 3rd in a luscious BLT!

Dang! I made myself hungry for a nice ripe warm tomato from the garden and all I have are greenies! (And that doesn't mean green when ripe.)

**Betsy sternly points herself back to task at hand.**

There is some variation in color on Cherokee Purple, largely due to where they are grown. It seems if they get more sun in a hotter area, they tend to be darker in color, or more "purple." I get variation between tomatoes in the same season, but seem to have more variation from season to season, just like we do with flavor. Southern CPs are generally darker than northern ones. (The same tends to hold true for other "black" and "purple" tomatoes.

I've included a Google image search link below so you can see the variations in colors.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Images for Cherokee Purple

• mulio
    12 years ago

Yes. They are frequently catfaced, misshapen and cracked.

Some of the chlorophyll doesn't change into lycopene which gives it the dark colors.

• gardenmommy_2010
    12 years ago

LOL Betsy!

• cozy
    12 years ago

It can catface but shah dang, place a slice on an Arby's roast beef sandwich ... and add bacon ... This is where it belongs ;)

{{gwi:1366787}}

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    12 years ago

Funny........I like the looks of CP. It's the yellow and green tomatoes that give me the creeps.

• SoCal1011
    12 years ago

Most of my CPs are coming out with a few cracks but for the most part just fine. Occasionally I'll get one with a face only a mother could love.... and eat!

• Bets
    12 years ago

Cozy,

You are a cruel person to post that pic!

**grabs towel to dry keyboard**

JP*DF)(IWJRJWrs0dgu9ifv

Apparently not dry yet!

Betsy

• heirloomjunkie
    12 years ago

They do look kind of gross, come to think of it. But after being subjected to those dry excuses for tomatoes at the stores, I was more than happy to try it for the first time. I was not disappointed! So good! And their ugliness kind of makes them cute. :)

Kim

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Last year I took some tomatoes "home" to my folks' house...one was a Cherokee Purple and everyone was skeptical to say the least. I assured them that it was going to be alright, just try it - it's really good! Last time I talked to my mom she was asking if I have any of "those Cherokee tomatoes" this year. :-) They might look odd when you're used to plain round reds, but, one taste and you'll be sold!