Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzdee_gw

How early to pick Black Krimm

mzdee
10 years ago

I have quite few tomatoes on my black krimm plant. I'm not sure how early I can pick these guys as color break is a bit more challenging to see (or at least it appears that way to me).
I'm getting antsy. Its been dry and its getting drier. Milorganite seems to have kept the deer at bay, but now its really dry and they may be getting restless. Do I take a chance and pick the largest one to ripen or just leave to a toss up 50% for the deer and 50% lone gardener?

Comments (9)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The color break on BK is showing dark purple, from light green base.It is not difficult to see. I just picked one couple days ago.

• fireduck
    10 years ago

if in doubt....pick it!

• rhchad01
    10 years ago

I grew the black krim. Mine are all gone now. I thought it was a delicious tomato. I usually picked it when the top was all black.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

As I said in a previous discussion of green tomatoes, learn to gently touch your tomatoes. Once they start to soften, notably, they are generally ripe. Whereas too soft is almost always beyond optimum ripeness, and very few tomatoes taste good when they are beyond optimum ripeness. Black Krims can look almost like standard red tomatoes, sometimes, but they USUALLY are darker, purplish or brownish or blackish, depending on the amount of sunlight and other conditions. So, learning to feel them and picking them just as they start to soften is generally your best bet.

• mzdee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Guys! I picked 2 at first color break (did I say that right?). Was a little nervous because they were quite green but had streaks of color. Following your instructions, I put them on the kitchen table, stem down. They ripened in about 5 days and they are SCRUMPTIOUS. Had some on a steak sandwich last night and it was too good. No more tasteless watery toms for me. I'll be growing these next season.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Love Black Krim but Cherokee Purple keeps a little better - doesn't get as soft. Hooked my dad on Brandywines last year, now he's had 2 of my BKs (or actually, I gave him a BK on Labor Day, not sure if he took a BK or CP from bin in garage the other night). Looks like he'll want 1 of those plants for his garden next year too ;-)

My mom still likes the firm hybrid beefsteaks, so instead of cutting back, they end up adding more tomato plants to their garden every year LOL!

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

Buy a Tomato hardness tester.

• macbettz
    10 years ago

Dickie,
    Where can you find one? Are they near the board stretchers?

• Bets
    10 years ago

Macbettz,

Yep, just down the aisle with the prop wash and sky hooks. *Grin*

"Milorganite seems to have kept the deer at bay"

How does that product keep the deer at bay?

Betsy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County