Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsarecool

I need tips on raising praying mantises.

birdsarecool
15 years ago

Hello everyone I'm looking into raising Praying Mantises, and I have a couple of questions. My first question is what should I feed the newborn mantises? I have researched it and I've found that aphids are the main preference. I haven't ordered any mantis eggs yet, and I'm trying to find out as much information as I can before I do. I looked in my yard for aphids and I didn't have any luck. I don't think there are many in my area anyway. I'm wondering if there is any alternative to aphids for the baby mantises. Once they mature ill probably feed them crickets and mealworms. Another question I have is if there are any risks of releasing some of them into my yard once they're bigger. I live in Massachusetts and the website that I'm thinking of ordering the egg cases from, doesn't state the type of sub-species these mantises are. If anyone has any suggestions, tips, or other companies that I should order from instead. Thanks everyone...

Comments (7)

• Day_By_Day
    15 years ago

Since the 150 or so babies will cannibalize, you need to separate them at birth. I'd let them all go in your garden and just keep a couple separate to raise. Leave a half eaten banana out on your countertop for a couple days until the fruit flies show up.

• Cindy_C
    15 years ago

Most places in the US sell Chinese Mantids. Also, at this time of year, the mantids are just now laying their eggs. The vendors likely won't be shipping until early spring. If I were you I'd wait until spring, when you can release most of the babies into your yard with no problem, and just keep a few to raise.

Have you ever visited the mantid forum? They can probably give you a lot of information

Here is a link that might be useful: Mantid forum

• birdsarecool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone so far, but I'm still kind of worried if they are native to my local area or not. The shipment is coming from California and I don't know if it's okay to release mantises from California into Massachusetts...

• Cindy_C
    15 years ago

What company are you ordering from, and do you know what species of mantid it is?

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Most predatory insects are very sensitive to environmental conditions. Purchased predators will have, at best, a 10% survival rate at the new site. Pretty costly for so few that may not stay anyway.

• alblueheron_gmail_com
    15 years ago

birdsarecool,

I have written some articles on praying mantids at www.suite101.com (link below). If you click on my name, you will get a list of the other 30+ articles I have written: on topics ranging from Lyme disease to butterfly migration and slipper shells.

As a field biologist, I can assure you that the mantises hatching from your egg case will be able to survive, but less than 10 will grow to be adults. There are too many predators, including the mantises themselves, that like juicy insects for lunch. That is just the way nature works.

There is plenty of outdoor food in Massachusetts for mantises during the growing season, but during the winter, you need to provide food: aphids are already in hibernation, but if you put a opened, ripe banana the counter, you should pick up fruit flies with no difficulty even this late in the season (I still have them flying in my kitchen in CT). Grow them on oatmeal and banana with some yeast added - I will give you a recipe if you ask.

Tiny mealworms, hatchling crickets, and red worms will also be taken by baby mantises. Small crickets are good once the mantids are about 1 inch long.

Feed the crickets spinach and oatmeal for at least a week before giving them to the mantids. That provides the crickets with vitamins and minerals needed by the mantids.

It is much better to wait until spring to put the eggs in a warm area, but if you wish to raise a few for a science fair project, you should refrigerate the eggs for four weeks before making them warm. The cold triggers allows them to begin developing faster.

If you have questions, you can email me from the Suite101 site and I will answer them directly. Enjoy.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Raising Mantids from Egg

• nature_david
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, I am birdsarecool, but I just made a new username.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County