Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obwannab

Hood Insert over 36' Wolf Range Top?

obwannab
16 years ago

I'm lining up our appliances for our new build. We recently purchased a 36" 6 burner Wolf Range Top. This will sit in a stone alcove type space in the kitchen. The top will be enclosed as part of this alcove, the hood will reside up inside it.

Am I correct in assuming that a hood liner insert is what I should be looking for in terms of ventilation? What features should I consider?

Who has the best bang for the buck? We're not professional cooks, and the odds of us ever having more than 2 burners going at once is extremely remote. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• chefbecky
    16 years ago

I have a similiar question, so I thought I would add it hear instead of a new thread. We are remodeling the kitchen in a small condo where we plan on having a 30" wood hood over a 30" induction cooktop. Space is a real premium and gas is not available.

We are considering either the Prestige Power Pack model UIB28S1 or Sirius Power Pack Insert model SUT90070X for hood liner inserts to go inside the wood hood. They are both 600 CFM with internal blowers and claim to be quiet.

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations. Any one used either of these two hood inserts.

Thanks

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

First, yes, a hood liner is what you are looking for. Next, I believe the minimum recommended CFM for a Wolf 36-6 is 900 CFM.

Food for thought... you are getting a range top that most REALLY enjoy cooking on. As you use the Wolf, you may find that you cook more and more and use more than 2 burners more often than not. Consider over sizing the minimum CFM requirements just in case (maybe 1200-1500. It doesn't cost that much more and then you can run the blower at less than max most of the time. Next, go with a remote blower or in-line if you can. It will be MUCH quieter. Finally, consider a 42 inch hood liner and a 48 inch capture space. This will create a very effective exhaust system.

We put in a 60 inch Blue Star that required 1800 CFM. In the liner system we went with, the closest blower was 2000 CFM but we upgraded to the 2500 CFM remote blower ($250 upgrade) and had a 72 inch capture area built. We did match a 60 inch hood liner with a 60 inch range b/c anything over 60 inches is custom and automatically double. Building the capture area at 72 inches worked fine but if I could have, I would have gone 66 inches on the liner. At any rate, I use the hood most of the time at about half power and it is almost silent. At full speed, you can still have a conversation next to it at normal levels.

Lastly, there are a lot of really good hood liners out there and Wolf is certainly one. Independent is another and I used a Prestige high capacity hood liner b/c I REALLY like its baffle system design. I had never heard of Prestige before we got the Blue Star but I am really pleased with its performance.

• Tom Pultz
    16 years ago

Wolf makes a nice Pro insert. If it's anything like our Wolf Pro Island hood it will look and work fantastic. You can get an internal 1200 cfm blower or several remote blowers varying in size from 900 to 1500 cfm. We are installing the 1500 cfm remote rooftop blower and will also be using a Fantech silencer placed up in the attic. We have the Wolf 6-burner sealed rangetop, which has a recommended cfm of 900. Keep in mind that a blower rated at 900 cfm will NOT flow 900 cfm once it's attached to the ducting... which is why we went with the larger unit. It should work well with the Wolf's infinite speed controller.

Good luck, and enjoy your cooking. Tom