Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoriaelizabeth_gw

Help?? Antique Asian doll / Large porcelain statue of child.

VictoriaElizabeth
11 years ago

I've used the Bath forum extensively, but this is my first post to the Antiques forum.

I got this doll... it is a vintage reproduction of an antique. I actually got three of them, (Pictures and more details are here.) And they are wonderful. The backs are just as detailed as the front, with a bow and flowers.

I got them from an antique dealer. They are vintage reproductions of an original doll, which I've seen, and they're identical. Dealer is uncertain about the origin of the original doll. There are no stamps or identifying marks on original. I thought for sure I could find information online, but I'm not finding anything!

Searching for "Asian doll" gives you about a million options... I've seen one similar (but not identical) on ebay, but the seller had no information about the origin. I think her doll must have been a reproduction, since the antique dealer I got mine from remembers the reproductions being slightly different than his original, with a darker paint job made to look weathered... If this is confusing, I apologize, IâÂÂm trying to keep my question succinct.

I'm looking for information about what kinds of specific words you would use to describe this. It's hard to google something that you don't have the right terminology for. I've been referring to them as chalkware, but I'm not even sure that's accurate.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Victoria

Here is a link that might be useful: The Whole Doll Story

Comments (6)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Well....if your friend made them, they are probably plaster of paris....or a similar compound.
    I wouldn't call it a doll but rather a figurine.
    It sounds to me like your friend bought a vintage chalkware figure, then saw one in a shop....had a mold made and started making them himself.
    I am guessing the original was a carnival prize.
    Cute little figurines!!.....and 3 is like a thousand times better than 1! But I would set them in a black or red lacquer tray.
    Linda C

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Doll books often refer to" Oriental Dolls" so might find something there but they are figurines like Linda said not true dolls. Is it sitting on a cushion or did you set it on 1? The bottom might give clues as to what it is made of.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I do know what mine are made of... I guess I needed to be more specific that I'm not asking about what/where the figures I have... I'm wondering what the origin of the original might have been, and if anyone has ever seen another.

Lindac-- Good to know someone else thinks it's a carnival prize.
    I actually already had that tray, and it's a coincidence they all fit perfectly. If I came across another in red, I'd buy it.

Sunnyca- No cushion... maybe just the shadow you're seeing? No markings anywhere on original. I will try being less politically correct in my search and see if that makes a difference... thanks!!

Someone emailed me information on Esther Hunt and Joe Celona-- looks like they made somewhat similar busts, so maybe that is a clue to the time period.
    Thanks for the responses!!

• lindac
    11 years ago

I think they were originally plaster carnival prizes....in the time when those were better made than they were in the 60's.
    And any figure like that was made from a mold.....and the figure that your dealer friend found was probably made from that mold....and your friend made a mold from the figure and continued making more.....and painting them. The appeal is in the decoration to me!

Google things like plaster Asian figure, chinese doll carnival prize, chalk China doll, chalkware asian doll, chalkware chinese girl figure....then repeat using the word Japanese.
    I believe it was made in the US....it's quite typical of chalk figures...no small protruding pieces, blocky and cute!! Sort of like an Asian cupie!

• VictoriaElizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't get over what a NICE carnival price it would be!
    I keep thinking of the absolute junk they give out now... you know, the weird stuffed animals with bad polyester neon-colored fur? Or crazy-looking chickens.

I wish I could go back in time and see the carnival that was giving out prizes that I would have actually wanted!!

• lindac
    11 years ago

I think it's the painting and decorating that makes your little girl special....and for that thank your Antiques dealer friend.

They used to give away carnival glass at carnivals...
    I remember a boardwalk game when i was a kid where you could win candy bars or gum. One time I won a huge dog, made of real fur.
    Perhaps one day those neon stuffed animals and crazy looking chickens will be collectable.