Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Thermador Masterpiece Steam and Convection Oven MES301HS

kaysd
13 years ago

Have you tried this new oven or do you have any information about it? I just heard about it this weekend when I picked up the new Thermador catalog. I would love to have the Gaggenau combi steam, but dismissed that as impossible because of the price. The Thermador model is about $4,000 less, so I am giving it serious consideration, but it makes me nervous to buy a new product without a track record.

Comments (16)

• sitelifer
    13 years ago

I am in the same boat. Would love some feedback. I am considering the CC 30 '
    rangeand the Thermador steam convection.
    I have had a Thermador range for about 14 years with no problems beside the burner grills being hard to clean.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sitelifer, have you been happy with the sealed star burners on the Thermador range? Does the oven seem to hold temperatures well and produce even baking results? I am considering the Thermador 30" range if we go with gas rather than induction. The CC looks great and would be my first choice, but I can buy the Thermador for a lot less with an employee discount, which would pay for the second oven.

• Susan Gress
    13 years ago

I am in the same boat- love the gaggenau but not the price. Epinion.com has 5 reviews of this oven, all give it 1 star out of 5. The Kitchenaid with steam assist looks good, but people here say it blows hot air out all the time when cooking, as a fix for poor placement of the electronics. I have had ovens that do this when cooking at high heat, but not all the time. I am building in florida, so this would not be good.

• sitelifer
    13 years ago

kaysd, sorry to take so long for the response. The model I have is discontinued, but the oven temp has been great. The burners are hard to clean but again the design has changed.

• ecovert
    13 years ago

I own this oven and had it installed about two months ago as part of a total kitchen renovation. This is my first steam oven so I have little to compare it to, but I think it is fantastic and I have used it pretty much every day. It is easy to use and produces excellent food. I believe it it produced overseas and comes off the same line as the Gaggenau, though it has different and more limited features. That is what the Thermador rep said when I called to ask some questions about the trim kit. Not sure what that really means, but it made me feel like it was worth taking a chance. Someday when I move to another kitchen I would consider having a look at the Gaggenau as I can see how the drain and the ability to control the amount of steam would be useful, but it is not worth the $ tradeoff to me at this point. That said, I have fallen in love with steam/convection cooking and would be hard pressed to give it up. Happy to answer anything else about it!

• sitelifer
    13 years ago

ecovert, how do you use your oven? Steam only or in combination with convection?

• siestaconnie
    13 years ago

I am considering this oven too. Would use a regular convection underneath. Anyone else with experience? I would love to hear more opinions!

• jg1126
    12 years ago

Any more feedback from people that have used this oven?
    thx

• readyalready
    12 years ago

I'm also considering this, most likely with a Thermador convection oven below, anyone else put one in?

• mamamd
    12 years ago

Ecovert, can you tell us more about your Thermador steam oven? I am seriously considering purchasing it but am put off a bit by Thermador brand bad reviews. Is replacing the water a pain? How do you think it works as a convection oven?

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Thanks Hmez for the thorough review...I too looked at it but think I am going to go with a regular 48" range either the Thermador or the Viking (this is what I've had before). The steam oven just seems too high maintenance for me and I think you've convinced me of that.

• sitelifer
    11 years ago

Hmez, I also puchased the 30 inch CC range and Thermador Combi steam oven last year.
    I echo your comments. They should include more basic recipes. The manuel is not user friendly but is handy once you get used to it.

I have been making the most incredible yogurt in it.

I also did not find it easy to clean after a roast beef spattered. The self cleaning instructions are not clear, I am still not sure if I did it correctly.

All said, I am happy I purchased it and am looking for more recipes.

• Beverley Aron
    8 years ago

sitelifer I just bought my Thermador Combi steam oven a few months ago and LOVE it!!!! I have barely used my regular Thermador Masterchef oven yet! One thing I really want to do is make yogurt in the steam oven, but I can't find any instructions - can you please tell me what settings you use? thanks!!!!!

• barryv_gw
    8 years ago

According to the Viking cookbook 4 to 5 hours at 105 F. Page 7 http://www.vikingrange.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2320051_Combi_CookBook.pdf

• Steve Dumont
    6 years ago

Sorry but n ever heard of a steam oven, what do you use it for? I did a few high end kitchens with Wolf, sub-zero and Viking and now doing another one but about $4,000.. Can I do more then steam vegetables or rice. Always went with a double oven... give me some feedback please...