Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Musty, mildew-y-smelling suitcases

Frankie_in_zone_7
15 years ago

I occasionally come across an old suitcase I might like to use for storage (not for travel). Yes, I like some of those perhaps over-done vintage suitcase as storage things. Of course there are a lot available, but I like certain colors and styles.

I've read a lot about various methods of getting that musty, or worse, really mildew-y smell out, and might hope that perhaps if enough time is spent airing, sunning, baking-soda'ing, Febreze-ing and so forth, they would freshen up. Also read about using the clorox spray.

I just wondered, do some of you have some real experience with trying to re-claim such suitcases, or perhaps similar items with same problem, and do you find it works well enough to take a chance on a smelly one, or have you found the methods do not really work that well and one is best off not buying such an item if you don't like how it smells then?

Comments (13)

• lindac
    15 years ago

As Annie says, fresh air and sunshine will do the job.;
    Linda C

• sjarz
    15 years ago

Does anyone have a remedy that doesn't involve the suitcase being left outdoors? Where I live, yes I do have fresh air and sunshine, but nowhere that I can leave a suitcase that someone else won't likely decide they should own it...
    Thanks
    Suzan J

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I have had pretty good luck by stuffing the suitcase full of scrunched up newspapers and leaving it for a week or two. After I take the newspaper out, I line the suitcases with scented shelf paper before I put stuff in them. HTH

• lindac
    15 years ago

Take it out when you can watch it....take it in when you cant'....repeat until the smell is gone.

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

I don't think this is what you are hoping for but I heard dry ground coffee does the trick too. Years ago I put mine outside and then when I brought them in I put dryer fabric sheets inside them. I think I also used a carpet cleaner like woolite...something foaming..that also helped.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Activated charcoal like that found in Odor Eaters shoe inserts. Try putting an Odor Eater in the suitcase and see what happens.

Annie

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the great ideas. Sounds encouraging, so I might take a chance if the price is right.

I read about putting baking soda directly in the suitcase, but I don't really relish trying to vacuum it all out--don't trust that I can get it all out and not have white residue. But would try leaving a container of same. Maybe am being too cautious. So am drawn to the odor-eaters idea since it is a self-contained product.

• moonshadow
    15 years ago

I swear by Natural Magic odor absorbing gel. (Link below). Similar products like Citrus Magic work, and I just found a new brand I've tried (Clean Air) that seems to work equally well as Nat Magic. Bought a vintage Drexel bedroom set a couple years ago, dead of winter so I couldn't air it outside. It was beautiful and pristine but the inner drawers of one dresser had a perfume odor that nearly bowled me over. I cleaned it with mild dishwashing liquid and a tad of bleach just for kicks (and I wanted to clean it anyway). Odor stuck, so I put 3 containers inside the dresser, kept the drawers cracked open a bit (air flow enhances the odor removal with these products per the label) and left them there for several weeks, rotating between all the drawers. Took awhile, but it completely removed the odor. I've used it in all kinds of scenarios for all kinds of odors (pet, smoke, mildew, rental houses when showing, cars, inside furniture, etc.) Never lets me down!

You can find these products at most hardware and big box stores like H Depot and Lowes has a good selection. About $1 cheaper at big box stores vs smaller hardware and paint stores.

Oh, also Gonzo odor absorbing volcanic stones. You can get them in small bags for closet size and larger for room size. I've seen those at Home Depot. Seem to help, but the gels mentioned above are tried and true for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Magic

• Diane Fleming
    7 years ago

In the back of my mind, I remember something about using 20 mile team borax, but can't recall how it's used. Anyone know about this? Hydrogen peroxide often gets out organic stains, of at least loosens then (for minimizing mildew stains; also, a spray and wash for clothes). Scrub with FelsNaptha soap (its a bar, usually in laundry aisle) gets rid of most other stains.

Meantime, thanks for tips; think I'll try newspaper AND charcoal, or the commercial product. Would love to see that Drexel set... my favorite furniture maker, especially the old stuff.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

Try the newspaper and charcoal....but replace often....and ultimately, fresh air and sunshine are the best cure.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

You can get charcoal anywhere fish supplys are sold. It is used in filters for aquariums

• ggkent1
    7 years ago

I have an old smelly suitcase but its in mint shape. I let it sit open outside all summer and all that happened was the inside got faded where the sun hit it. Did nothing to remove the musty smell. Then I poured baking soda in it, closed it up for a couple weeks. Still smells just as bad.