Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcandybc

1st Floor Plan feedback

Andy
11 years ago

Hi - first post here. Just received first version of plans for our future colonial build. Some early mods that we will make are:

- extending kitchen island and removing the L-shaped counter space on first floor.
- Moving the entrance of 1st floor bathroom to the left so you see a wall when you enter via mudroom versus the open bathroom.
- Removing shower from 1st floor bath

Any feedback?

2nd floor:
http://oi48.tinypic.com/rh01ly.jpg

Front elevation:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=o02wm0&s=6

Thanks

Comments (3)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think I'd keep the shower...
    Do you have dogs?
    Do you have an elevator for temporary disability living?

If you keep the shower, it will be a great place to wash off your dogs. Also, should anyone in the family need "first floor living" for a short or long period of time due to injury or permanent disability, they will be able to bathe. Just a thought...

The sightlines (from the garage entrance, not sure about the "porch entrance" to the mudroom) aren't going to let you see the bathroom immediately upon entry anyway.

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

I'm not sure how you plan to rework the kitchen when you remove the L part of the counter, but right now the first thing people see when they enter through the front door is your stove. You might be planning something really fancy for your hood and backsplash there, so that's what you want, but I thought I'd point it out, in case didn't see it.

The step down into the great room is dangerous-- people are going to fail to notice and fall, and it's really hard on older or disabled people, for very little pay-off.

Aside from that I like it, although I'd want the great room more connected to the foyer. Since it's the most likely destination for guests, having it so completely disconnected from the foyer seems a little awkward to me. It reads like an addition, not something that's been part of the house all along.

I'll post the other images in the thread so you get more participation:

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

What is the dimension of the upstairs hall bath toilet/tub room?
    I'd be tempted to rotate the toilet 90* (against the outside wall) and put your linen as a built-in on the "empty wall" (or where the empty wall is) separating the 2 spaces. Then, extend your vanity for more room between the 2 sinks.\

Agree on the step down for the GR. I missed that the first time.