Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c__j

GE Microwave smells like plastic burning?

christine
15 years ago

We have a GE over the range microwave that is about 10 years old. Last night after all the festivities had ended, we tried to use the microwave and it had a very distinct smell of burning plastic. We (and others at the party) used it for various things during the evening so I am not sure when it started. It does not seem to be heating the food up, and my husband says it sounds differently when it is running, like a locked down coil (he has worked with coils before in an old job). We're afraid to use it at this point.

What the heck could this be??!? I appreciate any help anyone has to give.

Comments (8)

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

sounds like its time for a new microwave.

• christine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Weed - any further insight on that?

We were hoping it's possibly something repairable...

Anyone else have any ideas?

• weissman
    15 years ago

Even if it could be repaired, it will likely cost you more than buying a new one. You've gotten 10 years out of this one - it's probably dangerous to use at this point - throw it out and get a new one.

• christine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Weissman - we have considered that, they are not that expensive. Even if we can't fix it, it would be nice to have some idea what went wrong, you know? It was running fine at 3pm, then at 7pm it stunk up the place for no apparent reason. I can't deny there is curiousity about it. Additionally, I'd like some definitive answer that it is officially dead. We haven't run it at all since we smelled the smell.

FYi, the house and microwave are 10 years old. We have not gotten 10 years of use out of it.

So moving on...it is an over the stove model. Is this as simple as mounting it and plugging it in? Is that simple? It appears there are just grease vents, not actual exhaust vents, bit I haven't checked in detail. Any thoughts?

• weissman
    15 years ago

It could well be wire insulation that started to melt. If you really want to delve into what's wrong you could check out repairclinic.com

As far as officially dead, almost anything can be repaired but the parts and labor cost would make it more expensive than a new one - and frankly once a MW starts to go, it can become dangerous.

• Kathy Overbay
    7 years ago

Try unplugging & replugging the microwave. It may reset the unit. We did that with ours and it seemed to solve the problem.

• weedmeister
    7 years ago

Hopefully they dealt with it 7 years ago when it happened...

• Kathy Overbay
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The advice was intended for someone who might currently be having the problem (as I was).