Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue2012_gw

Where can I find a Capital culinarian in Utah?

sue2012
12 years ago

Where can I demo a cc in Utah? I have heard of Wolf demos, haven't been to one yet. I want to compare the two. Any suggestions? I am not even sure they sell capital in Utah. I can't seem to find a dealer in Utah. That leads to the question if I buy a cc who will service it?

Comments (46)

• hikerguy69
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I live in Idaho and I'm pretty sure that you would have to fly to California to get a demo. You can check on the web site, but I don't believe that there is a closer dealer. I am also planning on buying either the Wolf DF 304 or the Captal Culinarian 30 inch manual clean range this Fall. Let me know what you decide.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Southwest BBQ & Appliance Distributing is the Capital distributor for Utah. You can call them and ask for nearest dealer(s).

Southwest BBQ & Appliance Distributing
    1502 E. Hadley Street, #160B, Phoenix, Arizona 85034
    Phone: 602-225-2722 � Fax: 602-225-0012
    Email: info@southwest-bbq.com

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I googled it with no findings in Utah. I will probably go with Wolf as they have many distributors and maintenance in Salt Lake City. They also have a great customer service reputation. I would have liked the opportunity to compare though. I am interested in the capital culinarian but i guess they are too new. I am looking at the 36" all gas range by wolf.

• hikerguy69
    12 years ago

I think that I'm with you. I would have liked to have tried both, but will probably get the Wolf because of the nearby support.

• CWirick
    12 years ago

It's impossible to find some of these boutique brands in Utah. I've found a dealer for BlueStar but none for Capital or American Range. The BlueStar is coming in over budget for me, which is too bad since there is a dealer in Salt Lake. The Capital doesn't have the industrial look I want. The American Range Performer has the specs and price I want, but there's little owner feedback I can find. This will sound dumb, but I don't want a Wolf mainly because I don't want the brand name (and their specs don't match the competition's for the price).

I'll probably end up rolling the dice and going through an Internet retailer and get the American Range Performer, hoping after-sale support won't be a problem.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cwirick what specs are you referring to? I understand not wanting the brand name but if its a good product with great customer service i would definitely add that to the equation. Wolf has been around a long time. people wouldn't purchase wolf if they didn't like the product. I am going for the all gas range. Its simple and i tend to roast and broil a lot.

• CWirick
    12 years ago

@ sue2012:

The specs I'm referring to are the higher BTU output burners. 22k for the BlueStar, 23k for the Capital, 25k for the American. The Wolf is at 16k I believe. Also, I want the open burner style, which I believe Wolf no longer offers.

I want a high-heat burner for wok cooking. If such a spec is not relevant to your needs, I'm sure the Wolf would be a great unit.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

Salt Lake City dealer for CC is

Orson H. Gygi Co.
    Salt Lake City, UT
    801-268-3316
    (801) 870-6992
    www.gygi.com

I understand that the unit may also be live ......

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

CW is correct with respect to specs. I started out looking at Wolf and found the CC and BS via this site. I too want open burners and higher heat options for wok cooking. I could not demo the CC locally but did cook on the BS and the Wolf and decided on the BS. I LOVED cooking on the Bluestar - loved it. I have since changed direction with respect to size (60 to 48") and am revisiting the CC (due to the window and light in the smaller oven). Bluestar has been in business for more than 100 years.

Having said all of that, needs are different and Wolf is a great product too. You should look at the other two options in addition to Wolf to make your final decision. BTW, both the CC and BS were about $1000+ less than the Wolf when I priced them.

Good luck with your decision....it is a hard decision to make when spending this kind of money on a range.

• CWirick
    12 years ago

Thanks for that info, Trevor. I see Orson Gygi is also a dealer for American Range. A phone call confirmed that they do carry both Capital and American Range products. They don't have a Performer on the floor, but at least I can look at some of the other models and get a feel for American Range build quality. And hopefully compare it to a functional Capital.

Too bad the Capital and American websites aren't adept at telling me who carries their products locally. :(

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@cwirick
    Orson Gygis i believe has american range and thermador in their cooking demo part of the store. I am not sure about cc. I am with you on the higher btus. That was what drew me in the first place. Its enough to drive a girl crazy. Wolf has semi open burners still. The total open burner sounds better.
    Thanks trevor for the info. I will go check gygis out. Also trevor, how is the customer service for cc. it has some mixed reviews on gw. how is the local repair service?
    Thanks for everyone's response.

• PRO
    12 years ago

The wolf range is technically not an open burner, the principle of the range is open burner but the actual burner is a sealed burner.

Service from Capital in general is not a problem, I find that 4 things can happen with a service issue

1) Dealt with in a timely manner and efficiently.
    2) Customer expectations are not realistic.
    3) Capital Drops the ball.
    4) Local service company drops the ball.

The above applies to every single company in the US, be it appliances or whatever they make.

Slat Lake City is a big place I would be amazed if service was an issue, unless items 2,3 or 4 come into play which hopefully they don't, I will say that to date I have never had a customer who did not receive service from the main lines we sell be it CC or BS in the last 8 years. I am sure the store you might visit to see the CC will have a better feel for that answer than myself.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey All,
    I went to gygis. They do have a culianiarian "live" on the floor and american range, as well as thermador. I liked the look of the range better in person than in the pictures. The simmer is not as low as the wolf but i wouldnt call it a deal breaker. The oven is can fit the full size baking pan as well as 2 1/2 sheets side by side. It is new to gygis so they didn't have much input about service yet. I will go back, when i have more time, to cook something on it. Trevor thanks again for the info. I will keep you posted.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Very cool...keep us posted.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trevor do you work for capital?

• PRO
    12 years ago

No I don't work for Capital.

• User
    12 years ago

Trevor works for himself and you can google his store "Eurostoves".

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks I checked out eurostove. Trevor In your honest opinion with all the brands you sell, wolf not being one, which do you see people are the happiest with both customer service and performance? American Range, Bluestar, and Capital seem to be the only ones with true open burners. So maybe between those 3?? I would like an all gas range/oven. I wish i lived closer to come to your showroom. Anyone can chime in with your experience. Thanks.

• PRO
    12 years ago

American Range.

I would say that American range is the bottom of the pile from a customer service perspective by a long way, while we can sell AR, I always say (if asked) that I would never buy one. As a retailer I am have been very disappointed with the company.

Capital Culinarian

People are in general very happy with the range, currently have an issue to overcome with some customers on the simmer ability, I am sure its more of a factory calibration problem which seems to be under review right now, so far as i know all customers with simmer issues are or have been fixed, as for service I don't have any issues with service for my customers, but as noted above things happen to all companies.

Bluestar Range

Had door issues seem to be fixed, had service issues now Mandy is the go to girl really doing an excellent job. Still got the hot door despite what some may say, again customer in general seem very happy with the range.

For some it's a tough call between BS and CC, American Range is a non starter for me.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trevor,
    Thanks for your input. What range model would you recommend? Brad wasn't at Gygis yesterday and the salesman lead me to American Range. Haven't read a whole lot about AR but am very interested in the Capital. On the floor the range i saw was a all gas with a rotisserie. I would like that feature but it isn't a must have. How is the clean up with it? I do not want self clean. Also, are the racks adjustable? The range had 3 racks, one very close to the broiler. I couldn't seem to remove it neither could he. But like i said he was leaning toward AR, he said AR broiler is superior to any other. Is this true? I really appreciate your time answering my questions. Thanks again.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Right now you won't read anything about the AR because nobody is buying it, evident by lack of feed back to the GW.

I get the feeling the salesman guided you to the AR is because he knows nothing about the CC, evident by not been able to remove the racks....

I would be amazed if the AR broiler is more powerful or covers as larger area than the CC, again salesman did not know what he was talking about.

The rotisserie only comes with the Self clean model, that said you don't need to run the self clean, i feel the rotisserie is the real benefit over self cleaning.

The simple fact is that cleaning is not fun so it can appear hard, I for sure know that the benefit of the real open burner far out weighs the cleaning aspect, having said that I don't think its hard to clean at all, just not a nice thing to do in general.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

www.americanrangelawsuit.com

There used to be two distinct websites about lawsuits against AR. Now there is only one.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow!! AR not for me. Trevor, what is the difference in price between the rotisserie/selfclean and manual 36" range? Rotisserie is not available on the manual correct?
    I am going to go cook on it soon at Gygis. If I decide to purchase should I check around for prices or do they have a set price as well? I wouldn't mind ordering from you as you have been great customer service already.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

I think Trevor is still offering an additional 2 years of warranty if you purchase from him. When I checked shipping was about the same as local delivery.

You can email him at: trevorlawson@eurostoves.com

You can do a quick price comparison of the models and different configs at AJ Madison. To get the rotis, you do need to go with self clean.

Do provide an update after you take it for a test cook.

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

That website....not really credible, nor any evidence of an actual lawsuit.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

That website is more credible that the average review on the net.

Posted picture of his ARs serial number.

Posted picture of local gas company test results.

Website says he is initiating lawsuit.

No picture of filed lawsuit document does not mean his site lacks credibility.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am still not sold on either brand wolf,thermador,or capital. It bothers me that the salesperson for capital at gygis didn't even know how to remove the racks. Why would you have a salesperson on the floor if they don't know their products. If capital is that new maybe a brand better known for sales and customer service is the way to go.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Capital has been around for 6 years (ish), just because the sales person did not know how to take the oven racks out (which he should have know) does not mean capital is new, it is my understanding that Capital is new to the store.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Sue,

What did you iike/dislike about each brand? I have not seen the Capital but I can't imagine they would design racks that would take a rocket scientist to remove or adjust them. In all of the reviews and threads I have read during my research, removing the racks has never been raised as an issue. Odd rack placement has been mentioned as has differences in rack positioning between the self and manual clean.

Have you looked at Bluestar? I know the regional rep that services Colorado also services Utah. If interested, I can send you his email. Perhaps you can demo the unit when he is there next.

Michelle

• CWirick
    12 years ago

Mountainland Design in Salt Lake has Bluestar ranges on the sales floor, but no working demo units the last time I was there.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am setting up a demo for both Wolf and Capital. I will see if there is a Bluestar live somewhere also. If I can't find one I will get the rep. email. Thanks for the offer. I will report my experience when I am finished. There are days I tell myself there is no bad choice here and you have a life to live! Serioulsy, what will I regret with either choice. There is a posting on this forum about bad service with Capital, but that can and does happen with any company. What I do read is Trevor is very instrumental in getting quick service for Capital. Great as long as Trevor doesn't get tired of doing that. Capital should have more "Trevors" though.
    Trevor I agree with you about the salesman. Although, Capital should make sure their product is being represented the way they want it to be presented.
    I am sure you don't have people come into your store for a demo not having your sales people uninformed. You sound too smart of a man to do something like that. It may be growing pains with Capital and I wish them nothing but success as with any newer business.

• sarah042012
    12 years ago

Capital's exclusive distributor for Utah is Southwest BBQ & Appliance Distributing in Phoenix. As previously posted they can be reached at PH: 602-225-2722 or info@southwest-bbq.com. Southwest has been distributing Capital's Outdoor Grill Products for 10 years and also distribute all the new innovative indoor products. Southwest has many years experience in both indoor and outdoor cooking.

Southwest also has a sales rep residing in Utah. The rep and his family have a Capital Culinarian installed in their kitchen.

Capital uses an exclusive Flex-Roll oven rack design in it's self clean range models. Probably why the salesperson was unable to remove. They're easy to take out once you know how to fold them on each side of the rack prior to removing.

• james243
    12 years ago

Gygi has a 36" self cleaning unit at the end of the granite table in their cooking school area. It's hooked up and ready to go. You may have to get an appointment to use it but I'm sure they'd be happy to let you test drive it.
    It has a huge oven window and my wife loves the design and feel of the oven handle which adds to its effectiveness and safety. Just a couple of months ago we put the 30" Culinarian in our kitchen. We had all electric before and we'll never look back now. Gentle precise controls, clean edges and invisible seams with great performance during cooking. Boiling water is amazing as the whole bottom becomes active rather than having hot spots. My wife had looked at the Wolf, Viking and Bluestar but came down to Bluestar. Viking was overpriced and Wolf and Bluestar seemed comparable with the exception of the claims made about burners. Study the burners, directional flame creates effeciency of distribution and is less costly. They aren't just rocket engines on a table top. There has been some real thought put into the Culinarian function and design. Seems a lot of it is very subtle. You have to know what you are looking at to know the differences. Several friends came by and looked in the kitchen and just had a fit. One had just bought a Thermadore and the othe had just gotten a Wolf. They both were having buyers remorse. They couldn't believe they could have had the Culinarian with the rotiseri and the self cleaning. They entertain alot. Hope this helps. Some dealer is looking at this in Jackson Hole but they wouldn't say when or if they were going to carry it.

• james243
    12 years ago

Sue,
    You need to try Gygi's again. That rack folds on each side where and when it comes in contact with the detent in the oven wall. Mine comes out quit simply. It is different but we love it. Get the self clean like Trevor said if you want the rotisseri. We did. The tops a snap for cleaning. Almost the entire top is user friendly and easy to assemble and take apart. I happen to know that only Brad and David have had any time with the stove that they recently recieved. They will be getting some formal training for each of them shortly. Seems you may have hit a timing issue with the demo. Good Luck! Their rep covers Idaho, Utah, Montana,and Wyoming. The othe guy covers Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona and West Texas. Capital is doing a pretty good job now of covering the bases. We'll see what they do now.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So i am scheduled to try out some of the ranges this week as last week i couldn't make it and had to cancel. i am having a hard time understanding the simmer issues for the capital. i read on the post Trevor is now selling bluestar as well. So i ask, should i consider bluestar over any other range? Trevor seemed sold on capital. Trevor what say you on this matter? your videos on you tube suggest you are an advocate for capital. Is this correct? i will let you know how the demos go.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trevor would you do a capital vs. bluestar video? i know i have read that you think the culinarian is a better range than bluestar. would you still agree to that?

• PRO
    12 years ago

Yes I still think the Capital is the overall better range, but as I have mentioned many times both ranges are at the top of the tree when it comes to cooking IMO.

As for the video I am unable to do that for legal reasons (BS attorneys get mad when i do that)... sorry.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well after much thought and research, I have decided on the Wolf.

Wolf has a great product and a great reputation and a great warranty.

Yes the BTUS are higher on the CC, but I didn't feel compromised cooking on the Wolf at all.
    I enjoyed cooking on both.
    The simmer was definitely hotter on the CC.
    I also like the look of the Wolf a bit better.

I wish CC all the success to become a competitive, well recognized company.

I called around to 3 major repair shops and none have heard of the CC. Bottom line-I think it is a little too new for me to invest in a CC and not have good repair service.
    It isn't as if either one is a bad choice.
    Wolf is very established and I am not worried about choosing them as their record speaks for itself.
    I wish this success to any new company.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well after much thought and research, I have decided on the Wolf.

Wolf has a great product and a great reputation and a great warranty.

Yes the BTUS are higher on the CC, but I didn't feel compromised cooking on the Wolf at all.
    I enjoyed cooking on both.
    The simmer was definitely hotter on the CC.
    I also like the look of the Wolf a bit better.

I wish CC all the success to become a competitive, well recognized company.

I called around to 3 major repair shops and none have heard of the CC. Bottom line-I think it is a little too new for me to invest in a CC and not have good repair service.
    It isn't as if either one is a bad choice.
    Wolf is very established and I am not worried about choosing them as their record speaks for itself.
    I wish this success to any new company.

Thank You Everyone for your thoughts and input, it is really appreciated!!!

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

You will be very happy with the Wolf!

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks,I know I will. MichelleDT do you have a Wolf? Sometimes having more of something isn't always a good thing. I feel consistency and accountability
    matters as well. I am super excited and relieved. Now I can move on with my life> haha.

• gayl
    12 years ago

Sue, I think you will be very happy with your Woif, as I am. I really worried and kept 2nd-guessing myself after I decided to go with the Wolf instead of the CC, but now I realize how much I use a real simmer and am really happy with my Wolf simmer. And for the way I cook, the 16 btu's has been very adequate.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I feel very comfortable ordering the wolf.
    I am sure it will be a great range for me and my family. 16 btu's is nothing to be ashamed of :)!!

• MPSchol
    11 years ago

Sue, you made a very sensible decision. Five years ago I really wanted a Land Rover, but the nearest dealer & warranty servicing was 160 mi away. So
    I went with a locally-sold Sequoia, great for long vacation road trips, albeit having far-below LR's offroad capability, which would have come in handy for some of our adventures. :-(

We have Wolf L ovens, which are super!

We decided to go with a CC range, due to Trevor Lawson's amazing demo youtubes. It was obvious he had a passion for cooking, and he delighted in showing people the capabilities of this "new toy". At the time, he paid for airfare if people visited and ordered pre-production CCs. He welcomed people to bring recipes, and his staff even took them grocery shopping. "Come up and cook all day!" (Don't expect this at your local appliance dealer! Some of them don't even know how to remove CC's oven racks. ;-) )

We've had our CC since Jan 11, it's the best rangetop I've ever cooked on. It doesn't heat water as fast as a 30kw induction, and it is marginal for wokking (but I have a 30k btu outdoor stove that is ample for family-sized portions with 16 in pans).

CC represents a near-lengendary pedigree in the form of its CEO Surgit Kalsi. Mr. Kalsi invented/co-invented the electric ignitor for gas stoves, relegating continuously-burning pilot lights to water heaters, the now-ubiquitous all-stainless steel outdoor grill, self-cleaning gas oven, and the modern pro-style range, a one-off custom-prototype he designed for a Mississippi building contractor named Fred Carl, that became the Viking Range. Mr. Carl had an idea for a heavy-duty-appearance stove that was compatible with fine wood kitchen cabinetry. Seeking help from restaurant range-makers, he was stymied until U.S. Range's Mr. Kalsi took the bait, and said, "We can do that."

Wolf owes something to Mr. Kalsi too. A restaurant-range maker, Wolfs had long been in the home kitchens of many Hollywood moguls, and industrial titans, but the users were hired domestic staff, rarely gourmand homeowners.
    Viking's success in the newly-developing home-gourmet market (think watchers of Julia Child) prompted Wolf to emulate Viking. Wolf Range later returned to restaurant stoves only, when it sold its home-range division to Sub-Zero.

Mr. Kalsi has serious credentials. His first startup, DCS, was well-regarded for its stoves and BBQ grills, and DCS was an OEM supplier to Jennair, Thermador and GE.

He was a senior engineer and VP at U.S. Range (commercial stove-maker) for many years.

His latest oeuvre represents the highest-btu rangetop that passes UL and fire-code muster for kitchens that don't have restaurant-grade fire-ablative surrounds.
    It's been thoughtfully designed, reflecting Mr. Kalsi's 50+ years stove-designing and manufacturing-management experience.

Ultimately certified servicers will become more widespread, stove repair not being brain surgery.

• james243
    9 years ago

Servicing a Capital Culinarian is one of the easiest jobs for a tech because of design and accessibility. Through Utah there is a group of independent techs called Mr. Appliance. They've been certified to work on both the indoor and outdoor equipment for Capital. That applies to the all the other Rocky Mountain and Northwest States. IF a dealer is not a service center then these guys are more than capable of handling anything they would need to do. I have the 30" CC because of our counter configuration. My wife talked me into looking at it and we watched the Youtube videos. We also looked at the price and there was quite a bit of savings over the Wolf and the Blue Star. We saw no advantage in Viking, Blue Star was interesting until we spoke with a local dealer and they couldn't adjust one for our altitude and took it back the same day they tried to put it in. When we saw the Life Style Article provided by Mercedez Benz and their write up we had to have it. Had it sent to a dealer so we could pick it up and they got to look at it. Their sales staff was ooohing and awing when we took it out of the double wall box. Came on its own pallet.
    For everyday cooking and simmering I'll never even look at anything else. I put my high end stainless away and I've really enjoyed using my cast iron skillets and pans for baking and frying. We'll be building again in a few years and this time it will be the 60" with the double oven and again the gas range and ovens. The ceramic plates really make the oven work efficiently and evenly.
    I am suprised at all those waffling both dealers and consumers.....look at most of the chef shows now and they almost all have the Culinarian Stoves! Large smooth oven door handle, largest window on the oven door and the drip lip and catch trays make cleaning up my messes great and the design keeps it from getting into the door. Everything can go in the dish washer. I couldn't do half the things as easily with any other brand. By the way my son who's a welder looked it over and said he'd never seen seams in Stainless that were so nearly invisible and smooth. This is the upper end of tech in the cooking world for the common guy to get his hands on. I didn't get to try it out but made a lot of calls to dealers in the East and to California. I met one guy who was frustrated about getting a counter range and built in ovens. The contractor and the appliance dealer didn't know anything about Capital they said. I happen to know they did but he went back to California and bought what he wanted and had the cabinet guy put them in. He looked them in the eye and stated he would never cook on anything else again. I wish he'd known about Gygi the dealer in SLC. Would have saved him some trouble. Oh and Gygi does have an operating model in their culinary school which is in the center of the store and open to the public. I think that one is a 6 burner top 48".....have to look again. You don't know what you're missing until you get your hands on one of these pieces of kitchen equipment. I don't care what it takes, I'll always have one now in my home.

• Brian Fong
    8 years ago

Do not buy any Capital Products from Southwest BBQ and Appliance!

I purchased a Capital Precision Range from them over a year ago, and am still trying to get my money back for a product that they never had shipped to my house.

The owners of this company have repeatedly given their word that I'd get my money refunded, but it never materialized.

If buying in Arizona, you can contact Capital directly.