Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenbee589

Continued Search 4 Wall Ovens & DW

queenbee589
15 years ago

Well, I'm expanding my search for a single wall oven and DW. Am still very much taken with Dacor 27" oven, but decided to check out a couple of other brands as there are some good sales going on right now in my area.

Am checking out Thermador & Electrolux (non-Ikon), but a bit uneasy about Thermador because I've heard lots of repair issues. I hear they're terrific workhorses when they're on the money.

Don't know much about the DW. One of the stores I'm dealing with has a good buy on a Thermador dw right now - SS fully integrated. As good as Miele???

I don't know much about Electrolux wall ovens with 'wave control' - non-Ikon.

Can anyone vouch for these 2 brands or warn me of problems? My hubby is really keen on the Thermador and I'm leaning to Dacor, altho' the Electrolux is looking pretty decent as a compromise.

Any Thermador or Electrolux owners with suggestions on the above???

Comments (15)

• wekick
    15 years ago

I have the Bosch dishwasher and really like it. I was going to go with Miele DW but I am just not the type to arrange siverware in the top rack. With the Bosch you just put it in the conventional holder. It cleans really well especially using the 2 sided soap with the liquid/powder. All DWs take aong time to run cycles and the DW I have has a short light 30 min cycle if you need it. Some things some people may not like--It is a little smaller than my old Maytag but I can still get alot in it. Also no disposer in it but you just empty a screen on the bottom periodically. Also the tines are slightly closer together so if you have heavy pottery dishes, you might only be able to load every other slot. There is also the issue of plastic does't get quite as dry after the dry cycle. I just open the machine when It is finished and make sure no water is collected on the tops of things and it dries quickly the rest of the way. I also put my plastic on the top rack so it doesn't warp. My DW doesn't get so hot to melt it but it may warp it. Overall my dishes get very clean.
    I did go to look at the Electrolux oven and Lowes will let you try it for 30 days and you can return it for any reason if you don't like it. I will get this in writing from a manager if I do that . the electrolux is a little smaller as far as the racks. I will try to measure and post sizes of the racks. Electrolux was I think 14 x 22. Dacor was 15.25x24.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

The Thermador DW is essentially the same as a Bosch -- they'll have something slightly different, but they are allmade under the same parent company. I have Thermador and am happy with them (2).

• queenbee589
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Posted by lascatx (My Page) on Sat, May 31, 08 at 17:02

The Thermador DW is essentially the same as a Bosch -- .......the same parent company. I have Thermador and am happy with them (2).

Lascatx: Is it 2 DW you have or a DW and wall oven? If wall oven, what model? How long?? Any repair or service problems at all?

Thx

• sshrivastava
    15 years ago

I have the Dacor Discovery wall oven and couldn't be happier. It works like a dream, bakes evenly, and is fun to use. The Millenia series is a good match to a Miele La Perla dishwasher -- lots of stainless steel and dark glass.

I looked at a Bosch dishwasher in the store, and honestly I wasn't impressed with the quality. I'm not sure which model it was that I saw at Lowes, but the plastics appeared very cheaply made. I also want a built-in water softener -- Miele and F&P are the only two brands I know of that have built-in softeners.

Good luck!

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

sshrivastava, you're talking through your hat. You can't tell that a "plastic is cheaply made" by looking at it.
    Oh wait, I seem to remember you cut your hand on some plastic part of a Bosch dishwasher, too. LOL!

Honestly, you'd think Bosch & Co. fed you bad fish from your posts.

To the OP, I don't have any knowledge of either the Dacor oven or the Therm DW precisely, but I can say that I've had a Bosch DW - a mid-line one - for the past 3.5 years and I like it very much indeed. The Thermador DW is a Bosch DW with some mods(perhaps?). Mine does a great job washing and drying with no fuss what so ever as I do sometimes pack things in it. I also only run it about every 3-5 days as it takes me that long to accumulate dishes. It does a very good job with the washing-up even after 3-5 days of accumulated crud. One of my favorite things about it will be common to all the Euro dishwashers - the absence of the drying element at the bottom means that I can wash my tupper-ware on either the top or the bottom rack without risk of them warping. Not something I could say of the myriad domestic DWs I've had in the past to which several of my older tupperware fell victim.

Oh yes, and it washes brilliantly as I almost never have anything left on the dishes unless a couple of them were stacked making contact and therefore water couldn't get to the osculating points of the two dishes.

So, I have only good things to say about MY bosch dishwasher but I will confess that I don't have any direct experience with any of the Thermadors - just that they are both made by the same parent company.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Wekick, what's your model of Bosch DW? Thanks.

• queenbee589
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I'm still looking at the Thermador & Electrolux wall ovens. Spotted a good deal on a 27" Thermador Masterpiece combo mw/conv oven yesterday in one of our local stores. Anybody know anything about this particular model?

http://www.thermador.com/kitchen-appliances-cooking_built-in-ovens_masterpiece-ovens_MEM271ES.html

Looks like a well-made product, but some of the reviews I'm reading on Thermador suggest an unusually high rate of repairs. Anybody own this model or similar Thermador and what's been your experience re repairs. Thx.

• drsvelte
    15 years ago

I analyzed wall ovens to the point of near paralysis over the last three months. I needed a 27", so Wolf, F&P, and Electrolux-Icon were out. I really liked the Dacor Discovery, but the issues discussed on these boards made me wary. Same for Thermador and the KA ArchII. The Bosch ovens didn't seem to have the same level of build quality. The Viking dealers seemed of the mind that no knowledge of their product was necessary and the brand name should suffice for a sale. I was about to take a deep breath and pull the trigger on the Dacor, when the new Electrolux line came out. They seemed extremely well-made, have the features I wanted, and are well-respected globally. I bought the 27" wave touch and microwave - I particularly like the trim on the MW (no vents). We also purchased the Electrolux wave DW. My preference was for a KA, but wife did not want to mix SS finishes and handles. They'll be installed next week.

• queenbee589
    Original Author
    15 years ago

drsvelte: Many thx for yr feedback. I really love the look of the Thermador (it's a good buy right now & hubby's pressing me to make 'the decision'), but am wary too after reading some of the reviews here and on epin/consumer reports especially, about repair issues. I too am confined to 27", so it limits what brands I can consider. Was leaning towards Dacor (love!) & Thermador and have heard some great things about the new Electrolux wave control; problem is, it's not avail. yet in my neck of the woods, so I may have to wait a few months if I do choose to go Electrolux.

Honestly, you'd think manufacturers would understand that people are more than willing to pay reasonable $$; they just want something to be well built & WORK!!!
    Doesn't say much for a $4000 product does it when you have to buy an extended warranty as guarantee against major defects/repairs and lo' and behold, after the warranty expires, $500 every couple of years for repair jobs.
    Feels good to sound off!!

• paso
    15 years ago

Well, after much ado and research, I am ordering the Dacor Discovery dbl ovens tomorrow. I have tried them all(at least what is available locally) and found that their reliability and function works for me. Go try them all and you will find your comfort zone, as well.

Good luck and be happy with your choice as there is nothing absolutely perfect out there...pick what is best for you!!!

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction to drsvelte. Admittedly, this was 3 years ago when I purchased ovens for my remodel but, while the Dacor didn't impress me (and the Discovery wasn't out at the time), the Gagg, Wolf and Miele most decidedly did. They were also a bit too much oven for my culinary skills and interest although the Miele Novotronic was my front runner for a long while. Miele Novotronic, F&P and Bosch made my serious contender list. Personally, I felt that the Electrolux was not quite up to snuff in quality so I did not even consider it after an initial contemplation - not bad, but much more so a lower end line. So, I passed on it. I'd recommend that queenbee take a long hard look - the Electrolux is pretty but I don't think it stands up to close scrutiny, especially given the other contenders you are listing.

• queenbee589
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So mindstorm: Which brand did you end up going with?? My problem (& I think drsvelte's) is that we were limited to 27" which I'm not sure Gagg, Wolf or Miele make (think Miele make 27", but not sure 'bout the other 2), hence the choice of Therm., Dacor & Electrolux .

Seems you've done some homework on this issue. Would you recommend Thermador in spite of some repair issues??

• wekick
    15 years ago

mominthedubc, my dishwasher is the she66 model-- Evolution,
    800 series. I think the numbers maybe a little different now and maybe some of the features.

• boysmom
    15 years ago

This was but one of my obsessions when I redid our kitchen nearly 4 years ago. I got the double Thermador wall oven, model SECD302- stainless, convection, etc. As I recall, this was one step down from top-of-the-line when I got it. I love it. While I don't use it every day, I do bake & entertain w/some regularity. It has never given me any trouble.
    Dishwashers- I have a Kitchenaid that's about 10+ years old. I run a load about every other day. About a year ago, it had a "main board failure" or something like that. The repair guy wanted about $450- to fix it. He told me "You may as well buy a new one. This one's going soon & a new one will cost only a bit more than the repair." A comparable model would've been at least $800. We found the part online for about $150- & DH replaced it. It's been running fine ever since!
    Good luck!
    boysmom

• queenbee589
    Original Author
    15 years ago

boysmom: on Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 13:52

I got the double Thermador wall oven, model SECD302- stainless, convection, etc. As I recall, this was one step down from top-of-the-line when I got it. I love it. While I don't use it every day, I do bake & entertain w/some regularity. It has never given me any trouble....

Sounds like my sit'n - occ. baking/entertaining. Did you get an extended warranty at the time w yr Thermador? How long is the warranty for? Still like the brand, but uneasy about the issues I'm reading about. You've had absolutely NO issues/repairs boysmom? Maybe I can still consider Thermador after all.