Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abby2570_gw

Med. stained cherry cabinets w/ carrera marble...what floor???

abby2570
16 years ago

Hello,

My master bath is pretty big, 178 sq.ft. We're going to be putting in cherry cabinets w/ a med. reddish stain and white carrera marble countertops. The problem is I have no idea what floor to put down. We can't afford to do marble & plain white seems so boring. There also will be a 6 foot white double ended pedestal tub. You will also be able to see into the shower through a glass door. Should the inside of the shower match the floor? One tile guy told me shiny floors are out...but, I can't quite picture a "dull" floor. So, what do you guys think? What color & texture? Your advice, ideas or photos will be very appreciated! Thanks, Abby

Comments (10)

• igloochic
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd do a travertine in a soft beige. You should be able to find that around 8 or 9 bucks a sq ft.

Shiny isn't necessarily out, but it's slippery and I think many who've had it are converting due to back injuries heh heh (ok I never hurt my back, but I did learn to hate slipping on a marble floor).

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Because of the tub, the first thing that popped into my head was 1" white hex. It would go with the carrera, and set off the vanity very nicely, as well as giving it the "period look" that would go with the tub.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

A pedestal tub and cherry cabinets can be either traditional or contemporary - which direction are you going?

If you were going traditional, riffing off Bill's idea, what about one of the larger hexes, 2" (Daltile Keystone Shapes) or even 4" (can't remember who makes it but I know someone here in the last two years used it)? American Olean "Chloe" mosaic with the white or silver-gray centers would also be pretty. If money's very tight, the white-on-white version of Daltile Octagon-and-Dot, which is quite inexpensive, would provide plenty of visual texture and, with a silvery gray grout, enough pattern to keep it from being a dull white floor. However, I think the carrara counter might get lost against a white or white-and-gray floor.

If you're leaning toward something more contemporary, I think a slate-look porcelain with a gray-blue base and brown accents in it, like American Olean "Earthscapes" in Rainforest, would look really smashing. Blue is a wonderful complement to cherry and the gray would tie back to the gray in the marble. Green tones are also wonderful with cherry - maybe Daltile "Continental Slate" in Brazilian Green (this has a matching mosaic for a shower floor) has enough gray to pick up the marble veining as well as green and brown to complement the cherry. Or something slicker would be a sort of concrete-ish look, like Daltile's "City View" in "Downtown Nite" which is sort of a medium gray. Daltile's "Donegal" in Grigio would be a subtle but not dull floor, in a silvery gray to pick up the marble veining; it would allow many other things to star and keep the feel of the room lighter.

How much maintenance are you willing to deal with? A large-format charcoal gray (like Daltile "Era" in Olos) on the floors would make the cherry glow and both the carrara marble and the white tub "pop" as the "stars of the show", but a really dark color does show every trace of lint and hair and soap scum. I could see it as well for the shower - a colorbody porcelain tile could be cut down to the appropriate size by your tile setter, since you need smaller tiles for traction - with a decorative band or two of carrara tiles horizontally around the shower and as a border on the floor to get the maximum impact from a minimum amount of the more expensive stone. Since your room is so big, you could get away with a big tile - the "Era" tile comes in a 12x24 that could be laid in a common brick or a herringbone pattern which would look amazing. Daltile "Veranda" is a pretty reliable tile, in Gunmetal or Patina for the darker look, or Steel for the lighter look to blend with the countertop. It comes in a 6x20" which could be used to create some really great patterns.

There are a lot of great tiles on the market, BTW, I'm just most familiar with Dal and AO's lines, they're very easy to find and for the most part reasonably priced. (If you're interested in something from Daltile, watch Home Depot for their 20% off all special order flooring sales, as this includes all tile. Their prices beat the living ahem out of any of the tile stores when I ordered my Daltile tile there. It's exactly the same tile as you would get in a tile store, don't let anyone tell you it's inferior.)

Did you have any plans for the main bathroom's walls? Tiled wainscot, just paint, special finishes like Venetian plaster?

• gabeach
    16 years ago

Agree with Bill and Mari, the hex or the Chloe might look perfect. If you go with the Chloe or the Daltile hex in 2 colcrs, check for mistakes in the patterns BEFORE the installers are all set up for the install. Two days ago, my appointment finally arrived. The black and white hex is on a mesh, and was full of errors. Excellent tilers are hard to find, and booked way out on the calendar. Having them leave and returning a load of heavy tile in sweltering Georgia humidity was not for me. They had to peel away the mistakes, go peel off a correction from another sheet, etc. This creates a cycle, as you can imagine. It also causes waste.
    I do not know if the patterns are put onto the mesh by hand or machine.

The Chloe has not been installed yet (they ended up leaving when they ran out of hex, and who knows when they will be back.) I intend to unbox it and inspect it myself over the weekend.
    I sent the mfr. an email about this, BTW. They responded w/a form email saying they will get back to me.

• abby2570
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, I have a lot to think about, Johnmari, you've really been helpful and I'm going to spend some time googling those tile companies to see what some of your suggestions look like. I am leaning a little bit more towards contemporary & I think a darker floor will look better so that the tub & countertops "pop". I'll get back to you guys with either more questions or to let you know what I'm going to do. Thanks again so much! Abby

• johnmari
    16 years ago

You don't need to google them. American Olean is americanolean.com and Daltile is daltileproducts.com, and at both sites you can input the style names I gave you to find the specific tiles. For Daltile tiles, try calling them at (800)933-TILE to see if they will send free sample tiles like they used to. AO is chintzy and soaks you an arm and a leg for samples.

• abby2570
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Johnmari,

It's been a busy weekend, I'm finally getting back to this. Thanks again so much!!! I've just been on Daltile's website and it's great. Thanks so much for the names, I wouldn't of known where to begin. There are quite a few that I really like. Now, I'll have to go see them in person somewhere. They have such a huge selection. When you find a supplier are they pretty limited in what they carry?

Well, I'm off to check out American Olean. BTW, are you a designer? You have such good ideas and seem to know what so many tiles look like.

Thanks again for your help. Abby

• johnmari
    16 years ago

No, most tile shops carry Daltile (I think it's the most widely used brand in the US; BTW, Daltile owns American Olean), and usually have about 90% of the line on hand. However, they will be able to order any tile that Dal or AO makes. Both Daltile and American Olean are on large boards with one card per style (like Earthscapes or Donegal), and the boards are hung on racks so you can "page through" them like a book. If you find a Daltile product you like, check the special order price at Home Depot especially if you can wait for one of their 20% off sales. I ordered most of my Daltile from Home Depot because it was half the price of the tile store I would have ordered it from otherwise, and it was 1/4 the price that one of the "snootier" tile stores just down the street from HD was asking.

Thank you for the compliment, but I'm not a real designer. I thought of studying design formally but just don't have the money for tuition or the ability to commute an hour or more each way, daily, to attend the nearest "brick & mortar" institution. (You can't get a license with the distance learning programs, and I'd at least want a license to show for all that work.) I only know those two tile lines really well; that's just from hanging around here for about three years and using the websites to pick out tiles for other people.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Awwww Bill... *blush*