Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Ut Oh -- HomeClick not responding re; Toto Toilet

ladyamity
16 years ago

My apologies for this being so long but I wanted to make sure you were given all the facts.

Of course it wasn't until AFTER I made my purchase on Ebay for the

Toto MS854114SL UltraMax Elong ADA Toilet. G-Max Flush

that I bothered to check here for HomeClick's attention to Customer Service issues.

Had I, well, hindsight is 20/20 so they say.

So now, here's the situation and I need to know what my next option is before contacting an attorney?

Not that I would that at this early date but still...

I purchased Toto on Ebay, Free Shipping.

I used the Best Offer option and it was accepted for $475.00.

I made payment immediately after being notified that my Best Offer was accepted.

May 30, almost two weeks later, I hadn't heard anything so I sent a message through Ebay asking for an ATA of the toilet.

No response.

June 2, I sent another message through Ebay and also a duplicate to their actual Web Site online.

No reponse.

June 4 I called. "Victoria"? told me she would look up the information and get back to me.

June 7, still no return call.

June 7, I made another call to Home Click and rec'd almost the same response---they'll get back to me when they find out what's going on.

June 10 I rec'd this response:

Your item should be shipping out to you within 1-2 weeks. As always, once your order ships we will email you the tracking information. If you do not hear from us within the specified amount of time quoted above please feel free to contact us back by email or by phone at 888-654-8811. We wanted to give you this update and future updates as needed.

Thank you for your time,

HomeClick.com.

No apology, no explanation for the delay, nothing.

What was small floor/lino damage to the bathroom floor due to a crack in the old toilet has now turned into a much more involved repair.

I should have probably purchased a cheapy $100 toilet and used it while waiting for the Toto, but again, hindsight being 20/20.....

June 20 I rec'd an email with a tracking number that my item had been shipped and should arrive within 5 working days.

June 30 I used the tracking number and got "No Number available". I used copy/paste from their email's tracking number to make sure I hadn't transposed the numbers the first time. Still, no such tracking number.

July 2 I called HomeClick and got yet another Customer Service person who told me the same thing as the first two CS's I dealt with.

Waiting all day yesterday for a call and of course, you know I didn't receive one.

Today being a holiday there is not much I can do but what do any of you think should be my next recourse first thing tomorrow (Thursday) morning?

Comments (11)

• dmlove
    16 years ago

Have you checked your credit card - have they billed you (or did you pay with Paypal)? I personally have had very good success with Homeclick/Absolute Home; however, it still annoys me that they bill you for your purchases immediately, rather than upon shipping.

• friedajune
    16 years ago

Amity - I saved a contact number of someone in charge of customer service at Homeclick (parent company is Home Decor Products Inc.), except I saved it from Jan. 2006, so I hope this person is still there, for you to contact:

Mark Anthony
    Director of Customer Service
    manthony@hdpi.com

• friedajune
    16 years ago

In my last message, I forgot to give you his phone number. But you know, a lot of people are taking the rest of this holiday week off, so you may not hear from anyone until Monday.

Mark Anthony, Director of Customer Service - 732-593-3632

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Have you tried the tracking number again? My order from them (5 items) shipped in 4 parts and one of the tracking numbers they sent didn't register correctly until after the item had been delivered. I think it was a problem with fedex, not homeclick... the first few times I tried it I got someone else's old tracking info and then after the package arrived (it took just one day since it's going from NJ to NY) the tracking info was correct.

I had good luck with homeclick but I KNEW it would take time since all of my items were long lead items and I planned for it (just got my last item yesterday). I placed it back on May 19 and am starting my project in about another month. For whatever it's worth, when their online order status system was down (when they changed over their website) I emailed through the website and got an immediate response saying they'd check into it and get back to me in 1-2 days and then maybe 3 days later I got a response with the status from the same person, also offering me the option to cancel one of my items since the lead time on it was longer than originally anticipated. I had time so I waited.

• dmlove
    16 years ago

kgwlisa is right that FedEx recycles tracking numbers. The same thing happened to me (someone else's old info popped up) and I called Homeclick and they told me to wait 24 hours -- the next time I tried it had my information correctly input.

• ladyamity
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all have been so very helpful and have calmed my nerves. I cannot thank you all enough!

From the contact number to the tracking information to checking CC/PayPal to being reminded that some people/companies might be taking the rest of the week off due to the 4th being in the middle of the week---all of this has quelled the knot that I've had in the pit of my stomach for the last month and I owe you all big time!

• thull
    16 years ago

I feel your pain. I'm just wondering, based on your first post, what color you ordered.

I'm guessing it wasn't white, since your offer was only $7 below what Homeclick lists as the price on their site. And even that's subject to their periodic weekend sales by up to 10%.

Based on what I've read about Homeclick here over the years, it's best to avoid anything that doesn't show as in stock. I might even assume a non-white color on a fixture is going to be special-ordered even if they say it's in stock.

I followed this approach when ordering our stuff a couple of years ago and had zero problems.

Anyway, 6-8 weeks on something special ordered isn't unusual. Hope that it turns up here soon.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I ordered a Toto from them last year with no problems. I ordered 2 more this year and there was a delay in the shipment because they were out of stock and waiting for shipment from the manufacturer. They don't tell you this upon ordering - I don't think they have a system in place to notify you of it when you order online.

I DID find out about the delay when I called, and was told they wouldn't bill me until it was shipped. I was okay with the delay since I have other work going on. (I should say, I did call another supplier and they were more expensive and they were also back-ordered and waiting on a Toto shipment).

I learned that delayed shipments and damaged items are par for the course in a remodel. My latest Lowes tile order is a total disaster - half the boxes of tile broken, partial shipment, some pieces not shipped at all, backordered, promised, promises broken, lost orders, etc. Oy.

But again, when I looked online for the matching tile - it was available at a much higher price. So I'm cooling my heels.

Thank goodness I'm not easily stressed :-)

FYI - the price of Totos has gone up across the board since last spring.

• Lynne Reno
    16 years ago

I got a toto carlyle on Ebay from Faucetdepot. I am really impressed by the customer service. They phoned me to confirm the address, and explained that the toilet would be delivered via freight carrier. I got it about 5 days after ordering. Price was $448.95 with free shipping.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I can ALSO confirm that Toto themselves are running VERY behind on fulfilling orders. I ordered my guinevere toilet from faucetdepot originally (tried them out on clawfoot tub faucet and was happy with the customer service) and they told me it was backordered for 3 weeks. At 3 weeks they told me it was backordered for ANOTHER 3 weeks, the factory was very slow due to high demand. They gave me the option to cancel the order if I found it in stock elsewhere and I found the toilet for only $20 more at hmwallace.com in stock and had the toilet 3 days later so I canceled - of course something else is holding me up now (mostly me).

• florabelle1
    16 years ago

Absolute Home just had a HUGE shake-up in the Customer Service dept, within the past week or two. Prior to the 4th of July, anyway. Mark Anthony is long gone, booted out, I'd guess, from what I could gather from my correspondence with them, which has been frequently by both phone and e-mail. You many want to wait until the dust settles or else call the 800 customer service # and ask who is taking over the head of customer service position or who is in charge of what's going on in AH's CS dept. at this time.

I have a major battle going on with them at present. Too long of a story to go into here. Abysmal service! And unfortunately I paid with PayPal.

Florabelle1