Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Two unusual questions re spray foam insulation

alisande
13 years ago

I need to know a couple of things for a short story (fiction) I'm writing.

Is it theoretically possible for someone to spray the insulation on an objectÂsay, a bicycle leaning against a barn? And once the insulation dried, would the bike be sort of "glued" to the barn siding?

Finally, when when spray foam insulation dries, is it shiny?

Thank you for your help!

Susan

who is aware that writing a story is easier than building a house. :-)

Comments (10)

• creek_side
    13 years ago

Glued is an understatement.

There are different types of spray foam. I have some in my basement that has a low sheen to it.

Hope that helps.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It helps a lot. Thanks, Creek Side!

• macv
    13 years ago

I don't know why anyone would be spraying foam on the outside of a barn but foam hits a surface as a liquid and then immediately turns into a foam. Very little of the liquid is likely to adhere to the bicycle so the foam would expand from the wall surface outward and begin to envelop the bicycle and it would become firmly adhered to the wall if the foam is thick enough. But that much foam requires multiple passes and would be unlikely to be used for insulation purposes.

Open celled foam often has a soft matte surface and closed cell foam has a harder surface with a slight sheen. Foam insulations stick to everything and are very difficult to remove.

There are many videos of foam installations on YouTube.

Here is a link that might be useful: foam video

• rethree
    13 years ago

OK ... say I were to do that to my wife? Would she still stick there??

• chiefneil
    13 years ago

I'm sure your wife would stick something somewhere if you tried that.....

• bdpeck-charlotte
    13 years ago

The open cell foam is easier to pull apart with your bare hands. Closed cell would require a knife to cut or it usually comes up in one big piece. My Closed cell is blue, and does have a slight shine to it.

• energy_rater_la
    13 years ago

use the nail gun to secure spouse to wall
    before spraying foam
    spray head first to stop the screaming
    or from feet up to increase R-value of
    impending doom.

IMO.

alisande, I'd read your story..just to
    see why you want to foam the bike to the wall!
    have fun writing and
    best of luck.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've enjoyed this conversation (as well as the information). You guys are funny!

I'm submitting the story to a national magazine that has published me several times in the past. They've also rejected me several times, so we have no guarantees. But if they accept the story, I'll be sure to announce it here so you can check it out.

The bicycle against the barn wall was just a "for instance," by the way. The incident in the story is a little more complicated..... :-)

Thanks again!

Susan

• macv
    13 years ago

Well, foam insulation installation is a bit more complicated too. You should watch it applied before describing it in a story.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not to worry, Macv--my character doesn't install it. Not even close. :-)