Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmela39

Refrigerator, Need water and Ice in door,SxS or bottom freezer

carmela39
15 years ago

My husband has decided he cannot live with a fridge without water and ice in the door. That said we looked at many models both in sxs and bottom freezer. The bottom freezers with ice and water in the door are limited to GE and LG from what we can see. The fridge is lost on the left side due to the ice maker and then you need to transfer the ice to the freezer drawer. Just seems crazy.

That said the Sxs has the usual issue of not fitting things easily but seems to have more cu feet according to the specs.

We are going to choose between Electrolux and KA if we go with sxs.

Can anyone offer any suggestions. Anyone find a fridge without water and ice in the door is a big deal if you use a lot of filtered water and ice???

Comments (22)

• nyc_russ
    15 years ago

Hi Carmela,

For french door models, you can also look at the Jenn-Air JFI2089 or JFI2589, as well as various Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool models.

• ichearts
    15 years ago

We just got delivery on a Kenmore Elite French Door, Stainless Steel Refrigerator today. I love the french doors. Water is inside the frig and the ice is below in the freezer. Works for us. I would never consider a SxS. You are in the frig all the time and all your food is at eye level. The freezer on the bottom, you open, pull out a dinner meat,etc. and you're done. By the way...the frig I had delivered today in Stainless is the exact model I just gave to my neighbor (in white). My new one just has a few extra features. That's how much I love it....Hope this helps..

• cuse69
    15 years ago

We just installed a new Samsung FD french door with water and ice in the door (model RFG297AARS) and so far we love it. I echo another post that french door models are superior to side by side in storing and access to the refrigerator section. Also this model is 29 cu. ft. so it more than makes up for the lost space of the icemaker in the refrigerator section. The ice dispenser on this model also has a selection of cubes or crushed. We purchased from a small appliance dealer who beat the best price from Lowe's or Best Buy and delivered and installed for no additional cost. We also purchased and installed Bosch 800 series double wall oven, dishwasher and microwave. Since this dealer has service agreements with the companies it sells we are nurturing a relationship that we hope will serve us if any problems arise in the future.

Best of luck in you search
    Cuse69

• carmela39
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all,
    Cuse69, we saw that Model and loved it since I really want the French door fridge but it was not counterdepth....
    I should research whether they make it in CD since you are happy with it.

• cuse69
    15 years ago

Carmela39

I don't believe they make a french door in CD. If you really like this model (the interior size, design, and Samsung customer satisfaction sold us) then you could consider (if your home allows) expanding the rear wall out to accomodate the depth difference. Some people on this forum have taken this approach to achieve the look of CD with the benefits of FD.

Just a thought, good luck.
    Cuse69

• cuse69
    15 years ago

Carmela 39

I just read on another post that Samsung will be announcing a french door cabinet depth 25 cu. ft. model in a next 2 weeks that should sell for $2200-2300. If this is true this is exactly what you need. I suggest you contact your dealer to get information directly from sales reps. since their site does not yet have any information.

Cuse69

• hevnbnd
    15 years ago

Anyone got a price on the RFG299AARS yet? Only difference between it and RFG297AARS Is touch screen controls...

• ri_truck_guy
    15 years ago

I would avoid a Samsung product at all costs. My three year old Samsung fridge is on the verge of catching fire, producing heat that burns to the touch around the freezer frame and a burnt electrical smell. To make matters more frustrating, their customer service has been absolutely terrible. Save yourself the grief.

• hevnbnd
    15 years ago

Well I broke down and bought at RFG297AARS today for $2225.88... Thought that was a good buy. I have 90 days to return it if the RFG299AARS comes out and is not crazy priced I may buy it. Any opinions?

• oboehack
    15 years ago

I would love to find a bottom freezer w/ a single door that has ice through the door. I could have sworn I saw something like this in the last two years, but I couldn't find it on-line.

As an aside (and a little OT, sorry):
    I love the look of the Samsung french door models. However, I'm afraid that I'm going to miss the ability to just grab a big handful of ice out of the dispenser (something that's easy to do w/ a side-by-side) given the design of the Samsung. Anybody w/ a samsung who can comment on this? Are there any other fr door fridges that address this problem

• cuse69
    15 years ago

Oboehack

I have the new model 29 cuft Samsung RFG297AARS (for about a week now). My DW was set on the french door model and we thought we wanted to stay with the ice/water thru the door we had on our previous Whirlpool SxS. The Whirlpool model did allow easy access to "a handfull of ice". The new Samsung unfortunately does not. To access the ice storage you need to unlatch the icemaker door inside the refrigerator compartment and slide the bin (auger and all) out. There is a minimal amount of free ice to be take out by hand (the bin is long and narrow with the auger taking up most of the free space). I thing you would do better with a unit without ice thru the door if accessing the ice bin for a quick scoop is important to you. I have seen a number of french door models from various manufacturers that collect the ice in a very user friendly bin in the freezer compartment.

Cuse69

• cuse69
    15 years ago

hevnbnd

That's a great price. I have the same model (stainless steel) and paid $2645 total including tax, delivery, setup, and removal of old unit to the garage. I live in northern Virginia for reference.

Cuse69

• carmela39
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cuse69 and others for your interest...
    My GC says there is too much involved in recessing the fridge since there is electrical behind it and it is a load bearing wall which means a header needs to go in. My dining room china cabinet is along that wall behind the fridge so I'm not worried about a thinner wall. Anyone have enough experice to know how much this might cost.

Cuse69, we are going appliance shopping tonight and if Samsung is in fact coming out with the CD model we may wait. I'm now concerned about the comments on the handful of ice issue as we do grab ice at times for an ice bucket. But can't we just put the bucket underneath the dispenser? For large ice needs like a cooler (infrequent) it wouldn't be a big deal to take out the entire ice maker if we have to...
    Final issue, if my fridge will be next to a pantry of 24inch depth and the full sizes are 33 vs 30, is that such a big deal? I keep telling my DH is it and I hate to see all that gray on the sides.

• cuse69
    15 years ago

Carmela39

The ice issue is not a problem if you intend to use the dispenser as you described. It is not convenient to just put your hand into the ice tray to "get a handfull", otherwise it operates like any other auto icemaker/dispenser.

The cabinet vs full depth is an appearence issue if the grey side of the cabinet is unappealing to you. You will see a full 6 inches of the painted side and additionally the half inch or so of the door gasket and then the depth of the stainless door with the full depth Samsung refrigerator with 24 inch deep cabinets (standard). Recessing the rear wall as I have indicated is the option many have taken (I was unable to do this since I live in an attached townhouse and this was the attached wall).
    If your contractor suggests this will be difficult I would defer to him (the issue is more than making the wall a few inches narrower).

Regarding the availability of the reported CD Samsung french door model I refer you to the posting "Please Help-
    French Door Refrigerator Questions" on 7/18/07 at 16:11.
    Within this thread (near the end) is a posting by Britter making reference to the "new CD model". There were additional inquiries as others are also interested in this model. I would suggest contacting your dealer or his factory rep. for more information/verification.

Finally, I have some photos of my installation but I am unaware of the method of posting/sharing them.

Good luck tonight and feedback you decisions.

Cuse69

• cuse69
    15 years ago

Carmela39

Any choices or new revelations after your shopping trip last night??

Cuse69

• carmela39
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Cuse69, last night no luck seeing a Samsung and none tonight as neither store carried them. But I did find out that Kitchen Aid will have the CD french door side by side out in August. I was quoted $2,475 before tax and delivery. It will only be 20Cu ft. though so my DH is adamant that the KA side by side at 24.5 is it. The salesman has a French door and says the space is easier to use so the loss of Cu feet is not an issue. DH is not convinced. I am just so set on French door bottom freezer since it is more of a current look. This will be a battle.
    Any thoughts? I will do some more research in the mean time.

• cuse69
    15 years ago

Carmela39

If the rumor about the Samsung french door CD is true maybe just holding out a few weeks (to confirm) is the answer. Assuming Samsung uses their new high efficiency insulation and design (from the 28.5 cu.ft. model) then you could expect the same interior space that you would get from a full depth sxs and still retain the style and functionality of the CD french door design. If your timetable allows that patience may be the answer.
    In the meantime you can plow ahead with your other research and selections for other appliance needs. Also I would strongly suggest you see any items you are considering and if possible at the same time/place (the appearence factor was extremely important to us and we even missed on the color of the LED/LCD panels not matching). Also, the Samsung has what I would characterize as a slightly rounded or bowed look to the front vs. a straight or flat look of some other brands. This might also have some influence on you. You do really need to see what you are going to purchase.

Good luck and keep us informed

Cuse69

• carmela39
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump,

The new KA counter depth french door fridge with ice and water only has a five cubic foot freezer. Given the ice maker isn't in that space, will that be sufficient space compared to the sxs with 24.5 total cubic feet and 9 cubic foot freezer. Is the space that much more usable with the bottom freezer. I am losing the battle with DH give these specs. May have to find the Samsung with 25 cubic feet CD.
    How do they get so much capacity if both are CD???

• cuse69
    15 years ago

Carmela39

Since no one has yet seen the aloof Samsung CD I can only guess based on the full depth unit we have. The outside dimensions of the 28.5 cu ft model (not 29 as often referred but rounded from the actual) is a bit larger than competitors (about 1 inch in height and width and about 2 inches in the curved front doors) and they use a high efficiency insulation that allows for the interior dimensions to be greater that with the competitors standard insulation. They may also pick up a little room in the design of the mechanicals allowing for additional interior space. I suspect that the new 25 cu ft. model will indeed be 24.5 cu ft and employ some or all of the same techniques to maximize the interior space.

Cuse69

• natthita
    15 years ago

I saw the Samsung counter-depth SxS at Lowe's and Best Buy. It's gorgeous!!! The interior is also nice. It has Twin-cooling Plus which is always...a plus! : )

• camry97
    15 years ago

CUSE69
    Where did you buy the Samsung RFG297 for that price? Was that an on line price or from a store?

We are looking for the new model, RFG299, and the best price so far was $2800.

• tshuva_nyms_net
    14 years ago

HORRIBLE REFRIGERATOR - HORRIBLE AUTHORIZED SERVICE INEPT RUDE

RFG 297AA Delivery Jan 07 - Serviced 6 times

1. Ice Compartment ranges in temperature from 37F to 18F. Ice melts and water drips/flows out to front of refrigerator, inside refrigerator under full width door. Ice maker also is more than noisy in dropping ice. Like gunshots from 22 c rifle. Ice comes out opaque. Our previous ice makers all provide clear ice with a grain of fuzzy in the middle. Water comes from a 5 stage reverse osmosis system that provides the crystal clear ice in an ice tray, but not the ice maker.

2. Water flow from front of refrigerator is at 1 cup per minute. Back of refrigerator supply 3/8 or 1/4 hose provides 10 cups per minute. Gate valve apparently goes to 1/16 " in opening. One quart of water would take almost 4 minutes. Have replaced, bypassed water filter.

3. Temperatures-Have been advised to lower temps to 36 Refrig and -8 Freezer
    Refrigerator

Left Door
    Upper Shelf 55-60F
    Middle Shelf 50-55F
    Lower SHelf 50-52F

Right Door Mirror image of left except lower shelf 45-48

Inside shelves
    Upper 50-53F
    Middle 50F
    Lower 45-47F
    Wide Shelf 47F
    Drawers 45

FREEZER
    Upper Drawer 24-28F
    Lower Drawer -2 TO +10F

Their authorized service companies are inept and not equiped to even measure a temperature. They say nothing is wrong, this is how it was designed.

Guess what, it is going back to SEARS who can't support it either.