Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudsonleigh_gw

Whatever happened to work ethic? *just venting*

hudsonleigh
14 years ago

Okay, this is just me venting about my *&&%@(#* remodel, because I know you folks can relate and understand. So my plumber, who was referred by the electrician I've used for years and trust, has turned out to be the bane of my existence.

First, nearly every time there was a slow-down on this project, it was "waiting for the plumber".

Second, he never came to check out the job, but gave me an estimate based on specs that I wrote up and emailed to him. Which was fine until he decided he had to charge me $300 extra to move a radiator 1' down a wall, which I had neglected to put in the specs. Okay, my bad, I can live with that, altho I do think he should have seen the job ahead of time, like the GC & other subs did, so there'd be no surprises.

Third, he shows up at 4pm three weeks ago to do the finish work, is here til 8pm, and says "there's something wrong with the shower diverter, but it's too late to get the Delta support folks on the phone. I'll call them tomorrow to figure it out, then I'll see when I can come to fix it. And can I have a check for the balance of the job?" (I didn't give him a check). But that was the last time I heard from him. I called four times, and no response. Finally I called the Delta people myself to see what the diverter problem is, and they said it's installed wrong (the diverter should be above the on/off knob, and he put it below).

And on top of all that, without asking me, he installed the handshower at 6' up on the wall. In my KIDS bathroom. I'm 5'1", and my kids are all shorter than me!

So I now have a useless handshower, a diverter that doesn't divert the water, and no water pressure to the tub...and the guy won't return a phone call! (I do have another plumbing company coming in this week to look at it, but I think there going to tell me (like Delta did) that there's nothing to be done without ripping out the wall.)

Yeeeesh...I know this guy is busy, he actually has work right now, but if you're that busy why take the job at all? And why can't you make it right? I couldn't live with myself if I ever left a client in the lurch like this!

Okay....deep breaths...I'm done. Thanks for "listening"!

Leigh

Comments (8)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

did you sign a contract?

I think I'd pay someone else to fix his screwups and deduct from anything he thinks you owe him.

document his screw ups - photos, phone call and who you talked to etc.

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

I feel for you, having gone through 3 plumbers myself in the bathroom that I gutted 11/2007 and that still isn't finished. The first one screwed us up so badly (and I was pregnant at the time) and it sort of snowballed from there. We are still dealing with problems with what he did. :/ Ugh. Get these things fixed or you will regret it!

• charlikin
    14 years ago

I always love how they want to be paid in full even when they haven't finished the job. I still remember when there was a long lull in the middle of my kitchen renovation while we waited for some cabinets the carpenter had damaged to be reordered. I had just given my contractor a LOT of money the last day before the lull, and the first day he was back on the job, he wanted more money. For what?! I asked him. Well, he hasn't gotten paid in a long time. Well, you haven't done any work!!!

Sheesh. I hope you get things resolved with the plumber (or with *some* plumber). I sympathize - mine made a number of mistakes too, very similar to yours. It seems that plumbers are congenitally unable to read instructions.

• User
    14 years ago

Oh Leigh! I'm so sorry you're going through this! No wonder he wanted his money before coming back!

Unfortunately at this point, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with him returning to finish the job!! Do you know if he's licensed? I'd call him back and leave a message that he's fired and you've hired another plumber to finish the job. Then I'd file a complaint with the licensing board as well as advise the electrician who referred him to you about the problems you're having so he won't feel inclined to refer him again.

I hope they find a way around ripping the walls, that's ugly... :c(

• annemarie29
    14 years ago

I'm right there with you in plumber hell as we speak. He wanted 80% at rough in which I knew was high but was worn down and let it go. Went though weeks of hell while he was plumbing as he was never around just two really surly kids. Problem is now that sheetrock is going up I'm realizing all sorts of stuff isn't roughed in correctly. Too busy trying to find way to fix to write what happened, but do plan to document at the end with pics and send to Angie's list or something. In some weird way helps to know I'm not alone.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

What a mess, Leigh. It's so hard when one crucial trade screws up, between the clean-up costs for their mess plus the headache with the delays. Vent away.

I still remember when there was a long lull in the middle of my kitchen renovation while we waited for some cabinets the carpenter had damaged to be reordered. I had just given my contractor a LOT of money the last day before the lull, and the first day he was back on the job, he wanted more money. For what?! I asked him. Well, he hasn't gotten paid in a long time. Well, you haven't done any work!!!

There seems to be a huge disconnect on payment expectations between homeowners and contractors. In every contract we specified performance clauses linked to payments - i.e. $x due after roughing complete, $x due after walls tiled - and our guys are still coming requesting payment when the benchmarks haven't been hit. We get "well, it'll be done soon so you can pay me now". No. Just no.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I think I'd pay someone else to fix his screwups and deduct from anything he thinks you owe him.

document his screw ups - photos, phone call and who you talked to etc.

I agree. I just went through this on a job that should've taken me 2 weeks, and I just finished it yesterday-- after SEVEN because of foul ups, delays from other subs, and general disorganization between the GC and the homeowner. When a project starts going like that, things can go south in a hurry. Even the good subs will lose ambition, and then you're in the tank, so to speak. Send him an email stating he has one last chance. Be there in no more than 48 hours from the time stamp on the email, or you'll hire someone else, and deduct it from his contract. make sure to CC it to yourself.

• hudsonleigh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the support guys....I really appreciate it! To answer some of your questions....I didn't get anything formal in writing from him, no contract, just an estimate in an email (my first mistake). He said he's licensed, etc, but I never asked for copies of his paperwork (2nd mistake). I did take some progress pictures, but they were more for my own fun (and to show here), so I don't have 'exactly' what I need....what I do have has proven to be helpful, though. I had the same experience as some of you in that he asked for 75% at rough-in, and I was worn out, so I just gave him a check. Again, I am just so so so happy that I was stronger when he asked for that final check. And I'm mad at myself for making the kind of stupid mistakes that I warn clients against all the time...the kind of things that I'm usually much more careful about.

This whole job should have taken about 3 weeks....they started the gut on June 15th. We're just a wee bit behind schedule.....

Now, for the update...as I write this the plumber from a large local plumbing/heating company is just finishing up (Yippeee!!!). DH wanted a reputable company to come assess the problem. Luckily, this guy has been able to fix it using a cartridge the other guy left in the box. He said the original plumber had installed it all wrong, but this fix makes it work without ripping the wall out. He is also fixing a leak in the drainpipe, where the pvc glue didn't set properly. So, for somewhat less than the dimwit plumber thinks he's owed, the new guy fixed all the problems. ***BIG sigh of relief***

We did not make another attempt to contact the old plumber, and that may come back to haunt me. Say, if he ever tries to claim the unpaid balance, or sue me for it. We did talk about it, but there was the issue of do we trust him now, and also when the new guy said he could fix it today, I wasn't about to let him walk out the door! Oh well, dimwit plumber can kiss my *ss if he thinks he's getting anything from me. I've learned my lessons....AND my bathroom is now functional!!!! :D