Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeychurch_gw

buying online vs local dealer

honeychurch
13 years ago

I am planning on purchasing appliances (Thermador 36" FD, Miele DW, Bosch double oven and induction cooktop, Best hood insert, Sharp MW, Waste King disposal) this Saturday from a local appliance store. Never made a purchase on this scale before and I'm a bit nervous. I like the idea of supporting a local business and also the sense of security I feel that if something goes wrong, I know exactly who to call.

However, this is obviously a situation where we would like to get the best deal possible. I have found some crazy low prices on the internet (as much as $800-$1000 off MSRP for some items, no tax/free shipping!), and now that I know I can get it for that price, it will be hard to pay much more.

Is ordering major appliances online risky? What if I have to return something? This seems like it would be a major pain.

If I bring my research into the store to show them the prices I found, how much haggling do you think I can realistically do with them? Is negotiating with appliance salespeople customary?

Even comparing the highest internet prices with the lowest, it looks like I can possibly save over $2000, and I am afraid the local store's prices will be on the higher end, making the savings all the greater...

Sorry if my questions are silly/ignorant, just have no experience with this sort of thing. Thanks for your time!

Comments (18)

• svs128
    13 years ago

Your questions are not silly or ignorant. I just went through the same process. We have a fantastic local appliance store nearby (Wolf, Vicking, Bosche, etc...) but their prices are high. Super high when compared to online stores like AJMadison and such.

I strongly believe in buying local and wanted to give the local guys a chance. I printed out the best online prices I found and presented them to the local salesman. You know what? He matched the prices!! I was so surprised and excited. I think the economy really helped my negotiating. I don't think they as many high end appliance packages now days.

You are spending A LOT of money. I think haggling is fine - as long as you are nice about it. They understand you want the best deal for your money.

• weissman
    13 years ago

You can definitely bargain but some brands like Miele are priced fixed (UMRP) so you won't get anything off those.

Even if you buy online and they don't charge you sales tax, you are still liable for use tax to your state - there's a thread about this on the kitchen forum.

Generally, unless there are initial problems when the appliances are delivered, it's the manufacturer you deal with for warranty work, not the retailer, but some large retailers to have authorized service departments for the brands they sell.

• amcook
    13 years ago

Personally, I would not consider showing them online pricing is haggling exactly. I've found these days that most sales people appreciate the chance to make the sale rather then have you walk out and never hear from you again. Just be aware that in this day and age, you can bet better service with some online retailers than local since it's no longer true that the store that sold you the product is the one that comes out if something goes wrong. It's usually the manufacturer or some third party support/repair company. If manufacturer warranty is important to you (and it is for most people) then make sure you buy from an authorized dealer whether online or otherwise. Some unauthorized dealers will offer free third party warranty and maybe even for a longer period of time. These are not necessarily bad so read the terms and conditions thoroughly and compare them to the manufacturer's warranty. Goods sold without manufacturer warranty are usually called "gray market" and the are either direct imports (not through an authorized importer/distributor) or the result of a dealer closeout (i.e. authorized dealer goes bankrupt with lots of stock). These are often the exact same items brand new but at a reduced price. It's up to you to determine if it's worth the risk. Just don't go to the manufacturer expecting the warranty to be honored.

All things being equal, I'd go with the dealer that I trusted more regardless of whether they are local or online. When the manufacturer won't return your calls, it's the dealer you go to even though they are technically not required to support you after the sale is complete.

Good luck.

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

I shopped around quite a bit and didn't find any local store who could/would match online pricing. I also felt like the advice I got from the bricks and mortar stores was lacking - most had one brand that they were pushing over all others (and bad mouthed the rest) and most knew next to nothing about induction. This includes places like Ferguson where I would have expected a more knowledgable staff, and not just "sales" people.

In the end, I ordered online because the online store was the only place that carried all of the brands I was interested in. I was happy with the package price I got when I called - a better deal even than their online pricing. Plus I had one "price fixed" item, and in lieu of the big discount I got several free items that probably saved me about $500. Free shipping too.

It's nice to have stores where you can go and see the merchandise, but many of the brands I selected weren't on display anywhere - at least not that I could find. In the end, I would rather support an online retailer that provides a fabulous website with tons of useful info and product reviews. I'm sure glad they were there when I began my quest for the perfect appliances!

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I did a lot of research on appliances here before I came up with my list, and this "local" store I am going to is about 75 miles away--I am in a kind of rural area and this was the closest store with all the brands I wanted. I am technically right outside their delivery/service area, but they have already agreed to make an exception for me (do you think the dollar signs had anything to do with that LOL?) If I bought online, I'd probably buy at a few stores to get all the cheapest prices.

I now have a good online estimate of what my kitchen appliances will cost, guess now I just have to decide how much over that I am comfortable spending at the local. There is certainly a point where DH and I would feel it necessary to walk away, hopefully they won't want that to happen.

I did see that the Thermador and Miele were the same price wherever I looked, but the prices on everything else were all over the place--that's where I'm hoping they will have some leeway.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I bought everything I could from a local store. I shopped (and there's plenty of competition here) and the prices were pretty equivalent. My appliance rep has gone the extra mile for me. Their installers have been fantastic, highly trained and knowledgeable. And when my choice of dishwasher didn't work for me, she got the maker to take it back and swapped me another including the installation.

I know price is the absolute most important consideration for some people, and necessarily so, but I do believe that when you buy from a good store you really do get the additional value -- including getting to see and touch and try out the units -- that you pay for.

• aprince
    13 years ago

If you buy from an independent dealer, 68% of the money filters back into the community. From a big box store, 43 % filters back into the community. On-line. 0 % percent back into the community.

Not sure how local 75 miles is but I rode a bus to school 60 miles so it's all relative.

• meg_ma
    13 years ago

We bought our appliances from two local dealers. Before purchase, I confirmed that they would do repairs in the future if they were needed. We have enough empty store fronts already, I don't want to see any more!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

We did a combination of local and internet. I'm in a rural area and try to support local vendors. It's not just the local sales tax, but the local livelihoods that matter. However, I found a couple of in-town vendors' attitudes highly offensive, so I used online vendors to obtain what they were selling. Honestly, sometimes I wonder how some businesses stay in business so long. Are they laundering money or something? Or do customers like abuse? If you have that I'm-the-only-act-in-town-so-take-it-or-leave-it attitude, I'm off to the www. Don't get me wrong. There are local vendors who are angels. It's just a few who have righteously blown it.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I read up on use tax, and certainly will pay what's owed at the end of the day, but still have to keep in mind that potentially lower online prices will mean lower taxes as well...

Taking the "no tax" issue out of it, I wonder if they might deliver for free as all the online stores I am looking at will.

I have printed out the 1 or 2 lowest prices I found online for each appliance. Don't know if these are from acceptable stores as far as the local's price-match policy goes, but worth a shot. I really want to buy from the brick and mortar, but we would like them to be able to come within $1000 or so of the online prices. Hope that is not unreasonable? If there is one item they are really far apart on, we may get that one thing online.

I have not yet set foot in this local store (as I mentioned, it is 90 minutes away) but I have to say the customer service so far has been quite good. I emailed them to find out what exactly was in their showroom and have since exchanged 4-5 emails over 3-4 months with one of the salespeople about different products, etc. And they did offer to deliver/service outside their normal area for me.

So fingers crossed for Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes! :-)

• katsmah
    13 years ago

One thing you may want to also consider with the online stores is that free delivery = curbside in most cases. I have been looking into online vs. local and may end up going with local. I need someone to put the appliance in my house. White glove service is always extra.

• twosit
    13 years ago

I buy a lot of stuff online. I have never purchased appliances online. There are 3 major appliance stores in my area. 2 of them have really competive pricing--one (the more well known of the 3) just has ridiculously high prices. I have found local stores to be much more competitive than the big box stores. I know you say that you live a ways away from the local stores, but if I was you, I would get on the phone and call others. After seeing the prices, I think there is a lot of room for movement by the stores.

• Katy
    13 years ago

I want to see the GE double/single wall oven (PT925DN) and will be calling around to see if a local dealer has one. If they are willing to come close to the prices I can find on the internet then I will buy from them.

As for the "no sales tax", I live in Calif. and I know our local Orchard runs sale that they say "no sales tax". I realize Orchard is really paying the tax on the adjusted amount (in our case it's like getting 9.25% off the price). If we are suppose to pay sales tax on stuff we buy from out of state then does that mean if I were to drive to a no sales tax state and purchase the oven I would have to pay the tax when I bring it to California? Just wondering.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE single/double wall oven

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Support your local's. More than likely if you are buying a package they will give you a deal.
    I was forced to buy one item (vent hood) I was unable to find the one I wanted local. Our drive is very long and we had to wait for 2 hrs. at the end of the drive to meet yellow truck delivery in the pouring rain.

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

We went to a local appliance store on Columbus Day with the intention of seeing if they had our selections and the chance to see them in the flesh so to speak. We ended up buying 4 appliances and they matched or bettered the best internet price on each one without me having to even bring it up.

• Katy
    13 years ago

Wow, that's good to know. I just found a local dealer who actually has the model in the showroom floor so I will be heading over to Meyers in Mt. View, Ca. later this afternoon. Thanks!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I considered online, but discovered that if anything went wrong, I'd be dealing with the local Appliance dealers as that is who would be contracted with to do the repair work. I live rural, I've got three appliance dealers withing 50 miles.

In my case, I knew the "locals" and didn't want them near my appliances. One actually told me that if I put an aluminum pan on an induction cooktop the unit would short out and I could risk burning my house down - and he KNEW a woman this had happened to.

So I bought semi-local. Drove 70 miles to the bigger city (population around 100,000) and bought from a dealer there. I've bought from this place before, and mostly because they service everything they sell. Even the extended warranty is through them, not a third party provider.