Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenill

Can metal frame on Anderson French sliding door be painted?

helenill
16 years ago

We ordered a 400 series Anderson French sliding door. We thought we were getting white interior, but it is clay. Can this be painted on the interior? We are having white painted woodwork and I think the clay will look really bad.

Also does anyone know if this door comes with clay exterior and white interior?

The contractor was supposed to order our Marvin Integrity Windows with white interiors and hardware and they are unfinished pine with clay/almond hardware. He is going to order new hardware, but we are stuck with clay/almond jamb.

I am so depressed about everything that is going wrong, I can't hardly cope.

I would really appreciate any help.

Comments (6)

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Go on the Anderson website to find out the color combinations your door is available in. Usually manufacturers make their doors available with white interiors because so many people want them. Then tell your builder to send the door back; his mistake, he should correct it.

Same thing on the windows.

• User
    16 years ago

helenill-

I hope you and your contractor work out a solution that makes you happy, and to answer your question, yes, you can paint aluminum, I've painted several aluminum storm doors successfully. First sand it, then Bin it, sand again, paint coat 1, sand (using progressively finer grit sand paper), coat 2 and, if needed, sand and paint coat #3. I used 3 coats but I was painting red, and it's a difficult color to cover.

Just Google painting alum and you'll get lots of hits, many with pics.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

Hi!

Not sure how you got clay on the interior? As far as I understand, they only offer Pine, Oak, Maple, or pre-finished white on the inside of the Andersen 400 french sliders. And they offer a sandtone exterior finish, along with white, terratone (brown), and forest green.

So to answer one of your questions, yes, you can get clay (sandtone) exterior and a white interior. That is exactly what I oredered and just installed. I got both the 400 series french door and a few french sliders. They all are white inside w/ sandtone exteriors.....

Here is the white interior of the french hinged door....

And here are a few french sliders w/ the sandtone exterior..

I think sandyponder answered your other question. : )

So sorry you're having these troubles. Hope it all gets resolved quick!

• janbanks
    16 years ago

Helenill - We are also using Anderson windows and I seem to recall they provide some information on their webpage about the best way to paint.
    I just wanted to chime in about your feelings of frustration and what seems to be a general lack of control over the building project. I am in the same boat! For example, I didn't even know that when I picked a window color (I had a three hour notice on that) I would also be picking a patio door color. Didn't realize the patio door was part of the whole window package from Anderson until I went by the house and there it was. Every week I get caught by one or two little surprises like that. It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't spending thousands of dollars! In my case, the problem seems to be that the builder does not realize how clueless we are to the whole process. They seem to think we've got as much knowledge as they do about the building process. Obviously, we don't. I'm just trying to go with the flow and keep the peace. Good luck.

• helenill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks you all for your support. Unfortunately we are doing time/materials plus 15%. On top of the problem with the windows [contractor admitted he forgot to order white but has ordered new white hardware] we just found out last night that our house is going to cost 35% to 40% more than the contractor's estimate.
    We only found out because after he told me what the drywall finisher was going to charge, I decided we better sit down and ask. He had not said one word. We kept wondering why every month the bill was so high and last night we asked about the cost of what is left to do.
    We are both sick about it and know if we ever want to sell, we will not get our money back. He told us that we would all come out ahead doing time and materials.
    Sandy thanks for the info...may do that if it looks really bad.
    Mamabird..thanks for the photos. Ours is a slider and it is the frame that is clay. Rest is pine and we will have it painted like woodwork.

• zion.power
    16 years ago

Yeah don't worry it can be painted very easily. Actually there is a tool which can help to paint such things. Just try to search Graham's Tool for painting. Moreover, I have never listened before about doors with clay exterior and white interior.