Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_11121608

Which would you choose - Liebherr or Bosch?

User
9 years ago

Hi all:
I'm in the market for a counter depth, 24", bottom freezer, free standing refrigerator without an ice maker (read too many horror stories!) Am now going back and forth between the Bosch 500 Series B11CB50SSS and the Liebherr CS1200. Would love to know any of your thoughts on the matter - particularly in terms of brand reliability! Thanks so much.

Links here...

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/B11CB50SSS.html

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CS1200.html

Comments (15)

• shortyrobyn
    9 years ago

I looked at the Liebherr units mostly as a matter of curiosity when I was shopping - and was totally unimpressed by the quality of the interior fittings. Also - the columns were much too tall for me to see what was "up there" - much less reach it. Have you had an opportunity to check this stuff out for yourself? "Kick the tires"?

I honestly can't see buying a refrigerator - much less an expensive refrigerator - without an ice maker. Doesn't make much sense to me to pay big bucks for a refrigerator only to go back to ice cube trays and ice buckets (I had to do this last week when we were putting in a new kitchen floor and replacing our refrigerator and it was the pits).

Kind of reminds of people here who are afraid to use their self-cleaning ovens because of the horror stories they read.

IMO - a lot (but probably not all) of the horror stories I read about appliances stem from user error or misuse. For example - one appliance repair guy who came to do something for us said that in about 75%+ of the cases he sees when it comes to cracked cook tops - they have footprints on them. IOW - people are using them as step stools.

FWIW - I'm close to 70 - and haven't had a refrigerator that didn't make ice for perhaps 40 years now. Buying a refrigerator that doesn't make ice makes about as much sense as not using the internet because you can get screwed up if you don't take appropriate safety/security precautions on line. Robyn

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

What user error causes an ovens electronics to fail in self clean?

Some manufacturers had issues in the past with self clean which have been fixed for years now. Otherwise... self clean increases the chance of oven components failing in ANY brand because the oven is being heated over 900 degrees. That is a fact. Either you take the risk (most of the time nothing will happen) or you scrub the oven manually. Your choice.

I can think of plenty of reasons why someone would want a fridge without an ice maker besides their relatively high failure rate. First of all, they can add significantly to your electricity bill due to the heater inside. Yep, a heater inside your freezer, efficient, right? The other reason is volume. Most icemakers are designed for households that go through high volumes of ice. Mine is not one of those households, and so the ice ends up sitting in there for a long time, getting stale, and tasting nasty. This led me to disable mine. Third, capacity. They take up room in the freezer and in the fridge as well if you have a french door with external dispenser.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

i have liebher FD and love it.
    i don't think the insides are cheap at all....
    we have had it almost 3 years and it has been flawless,
    they had to fix doors so they shut completely, one visit and they are fine.
    very quiet
    very easy to clean
    well lit
    would highly recommend
    top shelf is high but it is fine for us
    love it

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I've had my Liebherr about 18 months now, and love it.
    Super quiet, keeps produce fresh, and makes great little clear ice cubes :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Just went in and "kicked the tires" and am going to go with the Liebherr. Appreciate all the help!

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Have two Liebherr, one 24" all fridge and a 30" fridge freezer. I absolutely love them. The configuration works wonderfully for how I use a fridge. I want to comment on the issue of things looking flimsy, I think the shelves and interior looks clean and sleeker than most are used to. I am always surprised when I go to best buy and open the fridges how thick and cluttered the shelves look. I have dropped the Liebherr shelves in my Rohl Fireclay sink without issue. I don't recommend this but they may be thin but there are not flimsy. Each person can make the decision as to what is appropriate for their needs.

I hope you enjoy your new fridge.

Good luck!

• Barbarav
    9 years ago

Hi Juno, if you're there, have you gotten your new fridge yet? Looking at this one, too. Thanks.

• linyan24
    9 years ago

I am thinking to get Liebherr CS1200 too. How do you like it so far? firefangle.

• mullde
    9 years ago

We too are thinking of purchasing the Liebherr, and yesterday while at a demo for the Blue Star ranges we noticed that they had three Libeherr refrigerators that were plugged in and being used. One of them had shelves filled with bottles of beer and cans of soda. You could see the shelves were bowed downward a little but were holding up just fine, One of the other Liebherr's had condiments and other refrigerator items and we were happy to see that the items in the door did not tip forward when opening or closing the doors as we were worried that the silver bars holding the items in were not set high enough. I hope this helps.

• sievoli
    8 years ago

Hi,

I am deciding between the same two refrigerators. Are you happy with your Liebherr? I'm looking at the CS 1311

Thanks anyone for your help!

• anoop
    8 years ago

I am considering the CS1200. I called someone that installs them. His main negative was that the fridge may have a tendency to tip forward because it's very light weight. It also tends to move when opening and closing the door. In other words, it's a challenge to keep it held in one place. Is this something any of the owners have experienced? He said sometimes there's a bracket to hold them in place, but that would mean the fridge has to be placed close to the back wall. Placing it close to the back wall may be not work for me because the cut out for the fridge in my house is actually quite wide and deep. But I like small things...I think the stuff that's being sold these days is too big.

• anoop
    8 years ago

BTW, the good thing that the installer said was that most people that have them are pretty happy with them and they are quite reliable/durable.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Anoop,

Never had an issue with my liebherr moving. I would assume the fridges were incorrectly installed. Even the free standing ones have to be braced to the back wall or side cabinets. Look up the installation instructions for your model

Good luck!

• anoop
    8 years ago

@ homepro01

Thanks.

I looked up the instructions in the user manual and design guide available here:

http://www.liebherr.ca/HG/en-GB/products_ca-hg.wfw/id-1589453-0_39370-0/tab-39370_591

but I do not see anything about needing to be braced against a back or side wall. All I see are minimum space requirements to make sure the unit remains well ventilated.