Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jama_thome

Ice Machine Advice Needed

jama_thome
16 years ago

Hello All

We would like to purchase an ice machine as a part of our kitchen remodel -- the type that makes clear ice. Does anyone here like theirs?

Our appliance rep says that only Scotsman, Uline, and SubZero make clear ice. She is recommending the Scotsman, but I have heard some reports of repair issues with that brand. Any help would be appreciated!

Jama

Comments (33)

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

We love our ice machine! We ended up getting the SubZero because it was the only one that we could install with an integrated front that would be flush with our cabinets. Ours is very visible, not tucked behind a bar counter. We were able to have a gravity drain, so we didn't need a noisy pump.

You can add Monogram to that list.

• heimert
    16 years ago

Kitchen aid, viking, electrolux, Marvel, too, I believe.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

KitchenAid makes clear ice. We got the one that makes small cubes- water bottle sized. It was DOA but KA replaced the pump and it was good for 2-3 years, till the pump went out again. Whaddaya do?

Scotsman ice machiens are LOUD! Funny thread 3 years ago about a couple who was, uh, serenaded, shall we say, in an otherwise quiet house, by their Scotsman 3 rooms away...

• jama_thome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really appreciate these responses. Thank you!

Peacanpie, thanks for the comments about the Scotman being noisy! I am not sure if I will need a pump. If I do not need one, any idea if noise is still a problem with these machines?

Funny, but my appliance rep specifically said that the KitchenAid machine does not make clear ice cubes - she said the cubes are like the ones you get in a fridge. I guess it is hard to know everything -- was your machine loud?

Gizmonike, just wondering, what shape are the SubZero ice cubes? Sorry to sound like such a nut but I am picky about my ice! We have a perfectly good filtered ice maker in our fridge, we but still go out and buy bagged ice.

I would rather not get the SubZero if I can help it, because of the cost, but I understand what you say about it being integrated - it looks so much better.

Jama

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I am also looking for recommendations. One appliance guy insists Scotsman is the best, another says Marvel. Third one recommends the Kitchen Aid, which is my instinct. It DOES make clear ice - you just have to have a pump if it is not installed directly over the drain. But this is true of all of them. A pump makes it more expensive, but this is one MUST HAVE when we redo our kitchen.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Jama, our KA is still operative- just on its second pump. I don't know what kind of pump this is- it is over the basement and has a gravity drain. Well, heck- maybe it wasn't a pump we replaced 2x after all- I've slept since then.

Don't know about Scotsman without the pump. Try to search for that thread- it was the deal-maker in our decision.

Anyway, the KA is not loud, but we do hear the ice dropping into the bin. And the ice cubes are clear.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

The SubZero makes a cylinder shape that is as tall as it is wide, about 3/4", looking like a round cube, with an indent at one end. It's not a "top hat" shape.

A clear ice machine is insulated but does not refrigerate the ice after it is made -- the ice is always slowly melting.

• amy719
    16 years ago

My parents had a Scotsman for over 15 years before they replaced it with another Scotsman. I've never noticed it being loud.

I am waiting for a Scotsman and Kitchenaid to be installed in our new home. One reason I chose the Kitchenaid for my kitchen because the door opens down, rather than to one side or the other.

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

This is the second house where I've put in a Scotsman. I love the "top hat" cubes. both have needed pumps due to their location. I never really notice how loud it is until I've been away for a bit (after coming back from vacation). then I notice it, but I quickly get used to it and its noise fades into the background. My master bedroom is above the kitchen, and I have heard it popping out ice. Not often, but sometimes.

My Scotsman is paneled and flush with the adjoining cabinets.

Here's the ice:
    {{gwi:1456563}}

• CougarTX
    16 years ago

The Kitchen Aid/Whilrpool/Kenmore machines are very nice. I had one for a while, and we have lots of them here at work. Rarely a problem and pretty quiet. These models create a slab of ice that slides onto a cutter grid (heater wires) and is slowly cut into cubes. A very small amount of the original slab is lost while it is being cut on the heated wires - and those drops will fall onto the ice below. Not a big deal, and I like the way the ice is in individual cubes after this process is complete. The door flap and ice scoop holder are also plusses for these models. Ice is about 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/8"

I have also owned a Uline CLR2060 which was my favorite because it made larger cubes and the ice did not have to go through a cutter grid. Water is circulated over a vertical mold (like ice trays turned sideways). At harvest time the ice slides directly into the ice bin. There is a thin bridge that was holding the cubes together that usually breaks when the ice falls into the bin, but sometimes you may have to break the ice a bit more with the scoop. However, this ice tended to last longer in ice chests because it was larger. Uline has a newer model (CLR2160) that has digital controls and you can also adjust the cube size on the control panel. Ice cube size is about 7/8" x 7/8" x 7/8"

At work we had some older Scotsman DCE33's, but they had a lot of service calls and have finally been replaced by Kitchen Aids. These models make ice using an upside-down mold (water is sprayed up into the mold). At harvest time the individual gourmet cubes fall directly into the bin.

A clear ice maker has one pump inside to continuously pump the water over the evaporator (that is how you get clear ice - continuous moving water over a cold evaporator). However you also need a "drain pump" if you don't have a drain on the floor so that the waste water can be pumped up to the sink drain. You can order models with or without the drain pump.

As someone else mentioned, clear ice makers are insulated to keep the ice cold. They do not work like a freezer and keep the ice frozen, so the ice will melt slowly and the unit will occasionally operate to replace the ice that has melted. This is not a bad thing and is a trait for all clear ice makers including large commercial ice makers used in restaurants. I once saw a clear ice maker returned to the store with a note "Will not keep the ice frozen"!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Thanks for the interesting explanation, Cougartx. I love the teensy ice cubes - the smaller the better as far as I am concerned. So the KA seems like a likely candidate.

• jama_thome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, mom-to4, for the pictures of those nice clear ice cubes! And, thanks, cougartx, for the great info - you know your ice machines!

Despite this GREAT advice, am still having a hard time making a decision. I prefer regular-sized, cylinder-shaped, ice cubes to Kitcheaid's small cubes or the Scotsman's top-hat shaped cubes. I would prefer not to have to pay the higher prices for the Uline or the SubZero, however -- this remodel is getting painful.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the GE monogram unit and what type of cubes it makes? You would think the web site would describe the cubes. Thanks so much!

Jama

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

Monogram makes small cubes. We would have purchased Monogram if it could have been installed flush and integrated. You can put a custom panel on it, but then it sticks out. It also is available in stainless.

• bobbie46
    16 years ago

Had the GE Monogram. Nice clear ice and we got to know the repairman very well. The ice would get stuck and the motor would go "whomp, whomp" continuously. Fortunately we had the 10 year extended warranty. Am told GE no longer sells the extended warranty. In this house I will miss the icemaker but I cannot stand that sound.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

My appliance salesman told me that there are only 3 companies making icemakers: Scotsman, U-Line and Marvel. U-Line and Marvel make them for all the other brands: KA, SZ, etc. etc.
    He did say to stay away from the U-Line. I wonder how to find out who makes what for whom?

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Bit the bullet and ordered the KA with the integrated pump. It makes the small square cubes, which is exactly what I want.
    And of course, I have purchased an extended warranty on all of my appliances.

• wilk
    16 years ago

Does anyone have information about the Whirlpool ice machines. I need one with a drain pump.

Thanks

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

I'm so late here...sorry. I am very new to the list and looking more to receive advice then to give it. But, it never ceases to amaze me how people can have such varying experiences. That being said, we recently purchased a lake home that has a horrid!!! kitchen that we will be remodeling. But, it has a nice KA ice maker in an island that is close to the living area. Whatever, I don't think it would matter where it was located, it sounds like a washing machine running most of the time! It makes great ice, keeps on a chuggin, but I can't abide the noise! In the kitchen remodel plan I have in process, I have already decided the ice maker is going down to the basement...that is how annoying it is. Now remember, the thing came with the house we bought and I'm not gonna toss it out...it makes good ice! But, even though it keeps chuggin along makin lots of ice, it also keeps chuggin along like my jeans are in the wash cycle. I so hope your ice maker is not like mine, and, again, sorry for the late post.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

The drain pump is what makes ice machines noisy. If you can design in or install a gravity drain, you will not need the pump. The only noise we hear is ice dumping into the bin occasionally. (BTW, I would not have known about gravity drains for ice machines if not for this forum. Thanks!)

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

Anyone have any info on the JennAir ice maker?

Patti

Here is a link that might be useful: Patti's Ponderings

• dbyczynski
    16 years ago

U-Line has been producing clear icemakers since 1998. I have one in my kitchen and it is very quiet, we love it. I suggest you try to find a dealer that has clear icemakers up and running and have a listen. Ours is very quiet. Go to http://www.u-line.com/where_to_buy/index.cfm and put in your zip code. You will be offered a list of nearest dealers.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Our KD with the integrated drain pump is up and running and we are thrilled beyond belief with those gorgeous little clear ice cubes! I don't find this machine noisy at all. LOVE IT!

• benscott_comcast_net
    16 years ago

We have the GE Monogram and I absolutely love it. Yes, sometimes it is oh so quiet and then it will go through spells where it is horribly noisy. Had the repairmen out several times and they are worthless. What I have learned to do is turn it off when I am in the kitchen and it is loud. It's just a cooler afterall and not a refrigerator, so it doesn't affect the ice already made. Also, this resets the machine and it isn't noisy again right away. Then I turn it back on at night or whenever I am leaving the area. I have been doing this for a year or so and it doesn't seem to be hurting it. I have about 6 months left on my extended warranty. By the way, I forgive it this annoyance because I am so happy with the ice!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Ditto, Laura. It clunks once in a while - but who cares? This is my favorite thing in the whole kitchen! I leave mine on all the time, however.

• dt1234
    15 years ago

I was told Ice Makers tend to break down because of the 24/7 operation. I have also heard that the way they can make clear ice is by not frosting(refrigerating) the ice. I heard the ice is made, and it is stored in a bin, like an igloo container. It then melts away in the drain. It seems to be a very water wasteful device. Are there any icemakers that retain the ice made and are still clear?

thanks

• dt1234
    15 years ago

can anyone comment on the above?

• sal35
    15 years ago

We just installed a Monogram ice maker. It seems like water is running thru it all the time. It does seem like a waste. We noticed water flowing over the side of the - don't know what it is called - white thing in the back. It doesn't seem like that should happen. Does anyone have this problem with their Monogram?

• clinresga
    15 years ago

We had a Monogram. Took it out. I hated it, both from the standpoint of noise (the "crash" of the cubes dumping into the bin) and also the environmental/energy issue I had.

I just can't get past the notion that this thing was running 24/7, burning electricity, to make ice cubes that went into a non-refrigerated bin where they promptly melted away. Seems like an incredible waste of energy just to have ice cubes that look pretty. Can anyone else really justify running a compressor constantly to make cubes that are melted away in a matter of hours?

• drtom77
    15 years ago

I've always wanted a clear ice maker, and was ready to order the Sub for my new kitchen, but the noise/repair/cost/location issues were bugging me. Then I had an idea: I don't use a ton of ice, I just want it for cocktails. I found a source for clear ice at $2.29 a bag. If I buy it once a week and pour it in my freezer ice holder, I will have a 10 year supply of clear ice with $$ left over to defray the cost of the beverages!

• beat
    15 years ago

I purchased my SZ 315 five years ago (drain in floor).

The SZ 315 is a Scotsman with a different door (is the door worth the price difference???).

Noticed a few dollars difference is my water bill ($2/3).

Although I love my ice maker it has had all the problems mentioned above:
    -- Makes a real racket (sitters thought someone was in the house)
    -- Serviced 3 times (clogged valve twice)
    -- Requires regular maintenance (dropping acid)

I would buy it again.

• kswilli
    15 years ago

I've read this strand with interest. We have the GE Monogram Ice Maker, 4.5 years now and it has stopped working again for the second time. Last year about this time we had the pump replaced ($250) and it appears that is what needs to be done again. When it works, we love it. But, this is a pricey appliance and certainly considered luxury. Not sure if we should replace it, fix it again, or live without it. I'm considering the U-Line & Sub Zero based on this conversation, but am open to more suggestions.

• wjl929
    14 years ago

A quick fix FYI my machine was not draining. I have a Scottsman under the bar ice machine, with a gravity pump. the machine was not draining, I shut it off, took out most of the ice and had about 2 inches of water. I checked the drain hook ups and everything was fine. I figured there must have somehow been a small clog so I took the top of my turkey baster off and put it over the drain and "plunged" it a few times a small clog choked up and the bin drained quickly. I used this opportunity to give the machine a thorough cleaning. It seems to be working perfect again.